Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 51

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia 7 - The Fall [Game over]  (Read 43953 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia 7 - The Crypts of the Eastern Monastery [Day 1]
« Reply #300 on: May 31, 2021, 02:38:56 pm »

That's what makes it a good statement. This way, they don't have an excuse not to vote me.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 31, 2021, 04:18:56 pm »

Here's a way to test if Tric is telling the truth, Toony:

I lied about being a Paladin.

Now whatcha gonna do, Tric?
Webadict. What do you think I'm going to do? Granted, this is just another of your tests, the only true qualifier is when you don't turn up a result immediately tomorrow.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 31, 2021, 04:23:38 pm »

Webadict. What do you think I'm going to do? Granted, this is just another of your tests, the only true qualifier is when you don't turn up a result immediately tomorrow.
I'm expecting you to use your brain and think things through. Everything is a test about genuineness.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 31, 2021, 04:33:15 pm »

I'm expecting you to use your brain and think things through. Everything is a test about genuineness.
It's not a very good one, I do not do well with lies, given how many times I get caught as scum. That and it's near the end of the day you bring this test of yours up. Point is, if you lied about being a paladin, what else did you lie about?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 31, 2021, 04:42:59 pm »

The problem is that all the mindfuckery and chaff makes it significantly harder to read Webadict at all. Could be intentional.

I still think we start with notquitethere for the moment, but I'll need to make some more posts - reacting to NQT's new content.

What point do the tests serve, though?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 31, 2021, 04:48:09 pm »

Serial Killer NQT wall time!

Hello everyone. I'm pleased to be back in a Roguelike again, and pleased also that I'm not a mad serial killer this time.

D3 players will have had two chances of questing, so it's likely there'll be one or two powerful Rares or Artefacts floating around. If this proceeds like a normal game death-wise, we'll be down to four players and it'll look like LYLO, but given player items it might not be. What am I missing?

Fallacy, should we no-lynch today?

Jim, I love the random item aspect of this format. And the class choosing is similar to CYOM. The big similarity is we have an additional piece of scum hunting info in this game: players pick their class after they get their alignment and this might in itself be informative.

Is someone picking paladin automatically suspicious?

I'll claim on D3, which, yes, hopefully I'll survive to. Not holding my breath though. I spun the wheel on it and didn't get Bard so there's that.

For those following along at home, I picked Paladin when I played this game last: as a serial killer it was a no-brainer. I'm undecided whether it's a scummy pick per se. Having an inspect scroll as town is a potential game changer. Bit less neat if you get NK'd N1 for claiming paladin (but I'm sure Web knows what he's doing, I can think of at least three possibilities: less said the better).

BluarianKnight is it acceptable for town to pick Thief?

EuchreJack
notquitethere How do I play this game?  Seriously, I have no idea, and the intro text is...unhelpful.
For the most part, it's a normal mafia game: use the day game to find scum. Every day you'll get a random object from a quest (unless you raid the central reserve of items instead). These items give you new abilities to use at night.

all Paladins should give their Scroll of Inspection to a trusted Town player to avoid a Nightkill, and NOT say to whom they are giving the Scroll of Inspection. 
You can't give items to other players, read the OP.

Also, to address the points worth addressing:
- I wasn't suggesting a no lynch, I was seeing what Fallacy thought of the idea.
- Paladins are like cops, usually you don't want the cops claiming D1!

prefuzek
Notquitethere: How do you tell the difference between scum and bad town?
Sometimes they do look very similar, but scum have additional tells in how they interact with their buddies, they inspect differently, and use their abilities differently too. Scum have an agenda, bad town don't.

Quickfire reads:

Town
Jim - putting some consideration in, I think this is town!Jim
Web - painted a big target on his head, so must have A Plan
Prefuzek - Fairly strong start, some insightful questions, coming out swinging. Push on Tric for claiming... this falls under the category of "norm policing" votes
EuchreJack - Weird spot between having clear knowledge of the game's rules and still making obvious mistakes--  nice and proactive, is fishing ever genuinely a scumtell? Is voting me partly because of belief I was pushing for a no lynch. Another "norm policing" vote.
Bluarian - Hasn't done anything yet, only post was just answering questions: still on the backfoot.
Tric - Hasn't done anything yet other than my vague threats, definite scumlean.
Fallacy - Push on web for "reasons", is the reason "has a scroll of inspect"?
Toony - Helpful and present in the thread... but no real push from them at all yet. Who's scum here, Toony?
Scum

Pfp

Just popping quickly with a couple of quick thoughts (I'll address thread properly when I get back on PC):

- Web has this play act thing which he did when running circles as town in the Revolution game. High level waffle. I think he's capable of doing this as scum but its consistent with town play. I like it so far.
- What the hell is Euchre doing shortening or unshortening? I like short snappy days too but this is incomprehensible. My theory: he's a jester. Last game showed there could be 3rd parties not mentioned in the OP. Could be same here. Someone got a better theory?
- can I get a vote count? I might be in the lead which is Not Good.
- Not sure why Fallacy doesn't think my reads were "quickfire". I didn't agonise over each one, I just made a snap judgement on what I'd seen in the thread so far. Definitely a nonsense push here.

Also, Fallacy is saying Jim's list is unbiased... that seems a really weird thing to town read someone for. Reading alignment in posts is showing a bias in favour of some players and against others. Being indifferent isn't a town tell!

Pfp, busy weekend, but game is paused over weekend anyway. Will post properly later or tomorrow.

Just a quick pop in to say:

- Tric, charts are for D2+. There's been no flips yet!
- Someone said something about a curse: I have a scroll of curse curing, so if I die and some needs it, raid the stack for it.
- Jack, scum hunting should pick up sk's etc. Focusing on 3rd parties when we don't know if they exist is a bad idea.
- Can everyone on the Tric wagon explain their case if they haven't already?

Fallacy,

This reads thing is really rather tedious. I can't see how you can honestly believe writing a few extra words to describe my opinion of one player over another is at all indicative of anything. Both prefuzek and Euchre were making "norm policing" votes which was worth commenting on: I don't think they're good votes, but I don't think they're scum indicative either.

I'm not discrediting you, you're discrediting yourself by insisting on this absurd line of inquiry.

Ultimately how town I think town players are is pretty arbitrary. I downgraded Prefuzek for having a "norm policing" case in my quickfire reads, upgraded him in my slowfire reads for his more developed play by that point.

Tell me, do you really think any of this is alignment indicative?

Web,

I wanted to see what you actually do tomorrow. Otherwise, yes, I would have voted you. You can't make the argument "I'm scum, why aren't you voting me" that makes no sense. As for Toony-- he's been able to post more frequently than I have but has managed to do less. Do you like his posts?

How about Blu, you like Blu's posts then?

Euchre,

I've looked at all the players and concisely explained what I liked or didn't like about their cases. That's more than can be said for Web or Toony or Blu who have struggled to give reasons for their votes. What do you think about Web's bizarre threats to Prefuzek?

I don't personally think an SK is likely in a 9 player game.

Tric,
Right, before I get started, what is this NQT? Blue is voting me cause of meta-excuses, that I'm playing too well. Which really tells me you haven't read the thread, which makes the whole readlist suspect. Your initial toony vote didn't really have a reason either, just pressure that never went anywhere.
When Blu voted you they gave no reasons. And I explained my Toony vote clearly at the time, that they had posted a bunch and hadn't done anything. This is still true.

In your big post you've made too many questions, I don't want to waste my morning trawling through all that. I will say that, by "norm policing" I mean, that there are mafia culture norms of the forum like "don't rolefish" or "don't claim everything D1" or "don't vote someone immediately after they vote you" that aren't always particularly alignment indicative, but that players like to enforce for the good of the game.

As for charts, before my read I did of course tabulate everyone's votes, which is something I almost always do, but the day's not over so it's too early to share.

You've wasted a lot of time working out possible teams I could be in, as I'm not actually scum.

Toony,
I didn't feel compelled by Jack or Jim's prior reads but it might have given me the idea to do my own. Why is Tric scum?

Jim,
Nobody likes being eliminated on D1, it's not alignment indicative to want to know the votes, is it?

Blu,
I haven't interacted much with Prefuzek as I don't think they're scum and it's only D1. I've barely interacted with you other than voting you, does that mean we're partners?

Prefuzek,
What do you think of Web and Blu's insistence that you're my scum partner?

This is where I'm at generally:

- Tric is putting a lot of eggs into the one basket of reading me as scum, with all these team compositions; this makes me feel pretty good about Tric, as scum!Tric would know that that's a losing strategy: when I flip town, what's next for D2? A lot of wasted effort.
- Web and Toony are both pursuing lines of attack that amount to "why are you reading me as town when I'm actually so scummy", and you know on one level I'm tempted to take them at face value and say OK, "so you're saying you're scum then"? Web in particular has claimed he will fakeclaim a mafia read on prefuzek tomorrow, which is so bizarre it's not possible to take seriously. I kinda want to wait until D2 and see what he's planning.
- Euchre is being led by the nose to wherever; truly abysmal.
- I still don't like Blu, especially now they've conveniently switched over to attacking. OMGUS king strikes again.
- Jim, Prefuzek and Fallacy are fine I guess. Fallacy has this bizarro tunnel on me, but I'm confident he can take off the blinkers eventually.

To reiterate again for EuchreJack: D1, it is extremely early to start believing in serial killers and arsonists and the like. If I'm clearly not partnered with anyone, what's more likely: I'm a serial killer in a 9 player game?* Or I'm not actually scum?

*Assuming 2 mafia, that would mean 1/3 of the players are anti-town. Bit much!

Blu, why are you "feeling NQT as scum"? The post with your vote only gave reasons why a scum!NQT might be partnered with Prefuzek, not why you think there's a scum!NQT to begin with. Explain your reads, please.

Tric
it reads as getting people to question if what they think is actually true.
I can only take this as a compliment! Of course I want people to question what they think is true when I know what they think is false!

Are you a sane killer nqt?
I have no kill powers or items.

Why ask blue this question though?
I wasn't sure about it myself, I didn't pick thief but I wanted to see what others thought about this. Thief is most likely to hit town, but on balance is a probably slightly pro-town when town take it, as it concentrates power into town hands. Overall it's a null pick.

2: I like waffles, but not the type web serves. What do you think of web now NQT?
I think Web is suspicious. Their play lacks clarity. I'm happy to wait for a big reveal on D2 but if their reveal is "I was just messing with you all" I won't be impressed. What do you think of Web's play?

So to make it clear, Notquitethere, how do you plead? Here, or Guilty?
I'm town. It was hard to read your questions as the prose was dense and you'd written them in pink which doesn't show up well on lightmode.

Blu
Scum voting with scum to start a bandwagon isn't a hard stretch - I've seen you do it before as scum.
I agree, such things do happen. If you lynch me and when I flip town, who will you say the scum were on my wagon?

Why didn't you like Tric to begin with? What exactly is the argument from Tric and Web that you find so compelling?

Since nobody cares what I have to say, look over what NQT has to say...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 31, 2021, 04:59:15 pm »

@Euchre: Anybody that SK hunts is mafia, we don't need that.

The problem is that all the mindfuckery and chaff makes it significantly harder to read Webadict at all. Could be intentional.

I still think we start with notquitethere for the moment, but I'll need to make some more posts - reacting to NQT's new content.

It's harder to fake genuine reactions to new situations.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 31, 2021, 05:08:33 pm »

Yes you do, because I'm going to be dead tomorrow.  This is the only day that I can help Town.

UNVOTE

VOTE TricMagic

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 31, 2021, 05:09:15 pm »

It's harder to fake genuine reactions to new situations.
Still annoying though. I do not need what FoU points out at this time, as it is impossible to gamble with you actually being a paladin. (You had better be one, otherwise tomorrow is going to be short for you if my questing hands me a gun. Unlikely as that is.)

Notquitethere.

Prefuzek, you have any opinions to give out?

Why are you ninjaing me? And why will you be dead tommorow?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 31, 2021, 05:09:53 pm »

Notquitethere, needs to be bolded.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 31, 2021, 05:15:30 pm »

Why are you ninjaing me? And why will you be dead tommorow?

Gee, why do you think I'm going to be dead tomorrow?Unfair as it may be, I'd like you to answer first

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 31, 2021, 05:16:21 pm »

Forgot to say: One good Ninja deserves another!
But seriously, thanks for pointing that out.

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 31, 2021, 05:17:51 pm »

Blu
Scum voting with scum to start a bandwagon isn't a hard stretch - I've seen you do it before as scum.
I agree, such things do happen. If you lynch me and when I flip town, who will you say the scum were on my wagon?

Why didn't you like Tric to begin with? What exactly is the argument from Tric and Web that you find so compelling?

If you're town? I'm not sure this is a scum train - FoU started it, but he has a decent reason for his suspicions.

Also - just realized, you call my votes OMGUS - but you could say that FoU OMGUS you as well, yet you've ignored him going after you once you voted him?

Just a thought.

As well - I didn't like his competency - but that's kind of a shit thing to vote on only - others have stated it, but I shouldn't vote a competent player for being competent - and his walls and reads have proven to me he's town-lean. As for why they've convinced me?

Tric and Web both laid out their beliefs and opinions, and possible scum-teams. I think Pref is scum by his interactions, and your connections (voting alongside, friendly relations as mentioned in previous posts), have combined to lead me to think you're not town-aligned.

Euchre pulling his weight.

Also - this? This is some good fucking scum-hunting - I think he's scum, but this is a decent chunk of evidence that he might be SK.

Gonna post my thoughts later, getting pulled away - and I've already delayed this post all day.

also -
EuchreJack - Why do you think you're going to be dead tomorrow?

fakeeddit: I keep getting ninja'd ;-;
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 31, 2021, 05:35:04 pm »

Before I answer, I think one other player should be consulted.  Also Blue, think about for a bit, and if you figure it out, let me know please.

@NQT: Why am I going to die tonight?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 31, 2021, 06:04:21 pm »

BIG IMPORTANT MOD NOTE

I have to be at work at day end tomorrow.  Since I think this is sufficient notice, I'm going to bump day end forward one hour (since otherwise I'd need to push it back basically an entire day and it's already been over a weekend).  If this is a problem, I can indeed mod extend to Wednesday; let me know.  I can process the day end no problem tomorrow, but you'll probably be light on flavor.

Vote Count:

EuchreJack:
notquitethere: FallacyofUrist, webadict, BluarianKnight, TricMagic
TricMagic: ToonyMan, EuchreJack
prefuzek: Jim Groovester
BluarianKnight: prefuzek, notquitethere
webadict:
FallacyofUrist:
Jim Groovester:
ToonyMan:

Not Voting:

Day 1 will last until Tuesday, 6/1 at 9 PM EST, ~26 hours from this post.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 51