Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 124188 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Legally distinct laser sword.
« Reply #900 on: September 08, 2021, 12:41:18 am »

((I think your previous action was better, but this one is probably fine. as for the other questions - you are correct that you are overthinking it. If it fails, PW will take the letters you gave him and find a different thing to turn them into - one that will be hostile toward you. Excess stuff becomes magic.))

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: September 08, 2021, 04:30:55 am »

"Oh shit it's on the boat!"
Keep shooting and chopping the arms of this weird thing, and make sure I keep a tight hold of Elizabeth.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: ...a leaden crown upon the head of glory...
« Reply #902 on: September 09, 2021, 05:16:39 pm »

Team Boat

Youare crawl-flops over to the nearest tentacle on the ship, and removes a purpose like "Electrify" or "Murder" or "Paralyse" or some such.

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Aggressively Silly
« Reply #903 on: September 10, 2021, 03:13:23 pm »

protect the human crew with sword and needle.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #904 on: September 10, 2021, 10:42:41 pm »

Greed reinforces the magic on his sword and has it stab down again.

Your sword exploded. There is no reinforcing a non-existent thing. So we'll have you try and summon up a new one.
[4]
Greed summons up another Light sword!  Its not as big this time but whatever, its still good, shut up.
[6]
You throw your lightsword down at the jellyfish leviathan. Your aim is good...but you do fail to take into account the fact that the sword will be traveling in a straight line. The blade does stab straight through the jelly, but only after punching a hole through the ship on the way.
[3]
The hole is about as wide as a man's arm, a red hot trail running through the deck and down out of the side of the ship. Water starts sloshing into the lower deck with each wave, but luckily its by no means an unstoppable torrent.

Pull grey’s thread, then immediately relink. If I have time to realize what going on and act, my first action is to turn the TENDRILS into LINT
Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)

Getting back to the ship takes about 4 seconds of blisteringly fast movement as an incorporeal being before you screech to a stop on the ship's deck. You relink with Grey immediately and then attempt to magic those tendrils into harmless lint.
[5]
You grab at one of the more stable tendrils and rip into its essence.  A moment later it fades from purple-pink to an ashy gray and crumbles apart. The gray color spreads rapidly across the tendrils and more and more of them darken and shatter into clumps of lint.  The leviathan completely loses hold of the ship as its limbs disintegrate and it tumbles into the ocean, bobbing impotently in the waves.

try turning two nearby FLESHY TENDRILS into an ESTER
((Thanks, action edited))
Sadly no tentacles remain!

(It's clinging to the side of the ship, I don't know if its main body can be touched but there should be some tendrils within reach around the railing.)

Grey throws a quick glance to the gargantuan beast slowly rising out of the waters inside the storm.

"It doesn't look like a hammer. Hopefully that part is in its head or tail otherwise we're going to have to throw it back."

Above all else, Grey keeps Maintaining the hammer's upward velocity, spending 1 fate point if another roll is required. If we can pull it out of the water it'll be a sitting duck!

After ensuring that the Maintaining of the hammer is secure, Grey charges in with his saber-bayonet, either slashing the blob-beast's center body if he can reach it without leaning over the railing, or just cutting through any tendril holding onto the ship's railing.

At some point a Luta will appear, and Grey relinks needles with her if there is time.

Now that there's water being splashed around I thought I'd ask, do the water droplets that land on Grey's saber turn to ice?

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)
Most of this is not currently needed, but the water hitting the sword turns into fine grains of sand or maybe glass?

"Oh shit it's on the boat!"
Keep shooting and chopping the arms of this weird thing, and make sure I keep a tight hold of Elizabeth.
[2] You take a pot shot at the thing as it falls off the boat and shrug when you miss.

Team Boat

Youare crawl-flops over to the nearest tentacle on the ship, and removes a purpose like "Electrify" or "Murder" or "Paralyse" or some such.

I'd say you should worry about yourself, fish-boy~

protect the human crew with sword and needle.
I wonder how gung-ho Flame is? [1] Stupidly so.
[6]
Flame, desiring to bring protection to all, runs straight to the railing and leaps off in a flying, diving, double handed stab down onto the leviathan with his needle. The good news is that it absolutely works. The needle sinks into the soft rubbery flesh right up to the handle and a good 50% of the jellyfish vanishes in a flash of light. The only thing that remains is a sort of donut shaped lump of ruined, very dead, flesh.  The bad news is that Flame is now bobbing around in the ocean as a mythical sea monster charges in  and giant flesh eating fish swarm around.

So, you know. Win some, lose some.

As the Jellyfish Leviathan's remains sink below the waves, the approaching hammer continues to slowly rise above them. Its namesake rises in a burst of foam, a hammer shaped mass of sharkflesh potmarked with barnacles and coral and crisscrossed by scars. Bulbous, apparently blind and blood red eyes sprout from either end of the hammer and a yawning maw of multilayered, saw edged teeth snaps wildly as the waves crash against it. It is more than large enough to swallow several men in a single bite.  A hammerhead shark of nightmarish proportions and shape. Beneath the water, lit by lightning, a vague humanoid body can be glimpsed and a mass of squirming flesh instead of a tail.

"All cannons, take aim!" The captain shouts and the cannons turn to face the oncoming beast. "Harpoon guns ready as well! We stop it here before it can reach the port! Glory is ours tonight, men!"

Men race about on the deck, making ready.  The storm and the beast riding it will be here within the minute.

A few turns? Instead, if the ballooneer thinks it's safe to do so, and that there is shelter to be had, have him descend here and anchor so I can get a closer view of the ruined town. Hopefully there is a reasonably safe way to get close enough to the sea to see what is up with that. Use the ballooneer's judgement on whether to land, how long to stay, and whether we should leave again or weather the storm here instead.

Also, try really hard not to fall out or off of things.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: notes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current link web (click to show/hide)

The balloon circles down slowly, eventually landing in open grasslands near the ruins and immediately deflating to prevent it being dragged off.  You walk off towards the shore and find some remnants of past habitation. Mostly old stone walls and overgrown cobblestone paths. An abandoned cottage or home here or there in what must have been farmland. This ends abruptly in a vivid gash of stone, a new cliff face looking down on an expanse of drowned rubble and stones. Peering through the needle you can see an expanse of boulders human made objects so smashed as to be effectively unidentifiable. But the sea...it glows very dully through the needle's eye. And what's more, you can see the flow of the water, and the vague shapes that hide within. A line of slightly luminous coral and crustaceans. Clams big enough to swallow a cow, crabs large enough for a man to ride, Skeletons of fish as big as whales.

Go back to the office and see if my immense strength is enough to allow me to pick up and carry the conduit.  If it is, do so and take it with me.  Try to find someone and ask them if they’ve seen any other humonculi and where they can be found.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

[2]
Apparently this thing is heavier than you thought because even your girth isn't enough to budge it. Ah, oh well. 
[6]
You grab the first person you see, holding their head with one giant hand, and ask them about the other Homunculi. The young man you're "asking" stammers out that they're out at sea on a ship hunting "The hammer". You stroke your chin in thought, but don't let the young man go despite his squirming.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: September 10, 2021, 11:03:52 pm »

Grey continues lifting the hammer and yells to Lambent Flame over the railing.

”Flame! Pull on the thread linking your needle to mine three times when you need to get back up here!”

We’re in a quiet spot now, so Grey views the incoming monstrosity through the eye of his needle, and relinks it with MOTLF if he teleports up.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 11:08:58 pm by Fire and Glory »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: September 11, 2021, 02:44:06 am »

"Oh shit, that thing is huge."
Tell some of the flesh eating fish to eat that big shark thing and that it tastes way better than the chum.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: September 11, 2021, 04:19:05 am »

Tell some of the flesh eating fish to eat that big shark thing and that it tastes way better than the chum.
((Yay! All-Tongue magic gooooooo!))

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: September 11, 2021, 11:10:07 am »

Ho! Ho! Ho!  …is that so?

Hugh then thinks for a minute.

Would ya’ be so kind as to take me to whoever is in charge of this town?”, he inquires.

If the man agrees, Hugh follows him.

Edit:  removed extraneous quote taq
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 11:26:56 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: September 11, 2021, 06:24:33 pm »

greed creates a massive light bomb and shoots it at the hammer-thing.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: September 12, 2021, 12:32:48 am »

Alright, I think I have all the info I need from this location. Continue on to the branch office city With the ballooneer. I don't mind waiting to arrive until the excitement dies down (i.e. a few turns).

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Aggressively Silly
« Reply #911 on: September 13, 2021, 08:15:34 am »

Flame will pull the thread to Grey and relink once he's back on the ship.
EDIT: given current events, it's probably best to use the glove shield to protect as many of the human crew as he can.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 12:13:03 pm by m1895 »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 13, 2021, 02:20:31 pm »

Team Boat

Youare crawl-flops over the side of the boat, or yells at sailors to help him overboard. He attempts to swim to the neck of the leviathan, avoiding the giant head and all, expending a fate point. He notifies the other homunculi by needle when he reaches his destination so they can dash in beside him, before pulling some essential purpose out of the beast's body.

He links with any homunculi that he passes on his way overboard, if they're willing.

"Right! Now push me overboard, really! I think I can get to the thing! And link with me if you want to be in on the action once I'm there!"

One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #913 on: September 13, 2021, 09:37:30 pm »

Alright, I think I have all the info I need from this location. Continue on to the branch office city With the ballooneer. I don't mind waiting to arrive until the excitement dies down (i.e. a few turns).

Off we go. Not a lot to see in the dark so we'll assume you're just traveling for now.

[1/3]

Ho! Ho! Ho!  …is that so?

Hugh then thinks for a minute.

Would ya’ be so kind as to take me to whoever is in charge of this town?”, he inquires.

If the man agrees, Hugh follows him.

Edit:  removed extraneous quote taq
The young man promises he will if you put him down. You realize you've been holding him off the ground by his head. You set him down and follow behind as he leads you down to the harbor and over to a man who is...quite similar to you. He's a giant of a man, though more muscular, wearing a white homunculi robe with the hood down. He notices you jogging over as he gives orders to other men.

"I see someone on the ship died." The robed man says, looking you up and down. "What can you do?"

Flame will pull the thread to Grey and relink once he's back on the ship.
EDIT: given current events, it's probably best to use the glove shield to protect as many of the human crew as he can.

Flame warps back onto the deck and relinks before running to the prow and making ready to throw up a shield in front of as many of the sailors as he can.

Team Boat

Youare crawl-flops over the side of the boat, or yells at sailors to help him overboard. He attempts to swim to the neck of the leviathan, avoiding the giant head and all, expending a fate point. He notifies the other homunculi by needle when he reaches his destination so they can dash in beside him, before pulling some essential purpose out of the beast's body.

He links with any homunculi that he passes on his way overboard, if they're willing.

"Right! Now push me overboard, really! I think I can get to the thing! And link with me if you want to be in on the action once I'm there!"

[5][3,3]
You, through the help of a few burly crewmen, get into the sea and immediately shoot off in the direction of the oncoming leviathan. You're aiming for its neck but the onward rush of foam and flesh actually shoves you out of the way before you even hit the beast. You go skipping away but quickly right yourself and give chase, closing in beside and behind the Hammer.

Grey continues lifting the hammer and yells to Lambent Flame over the railing.

”Flame! Pull on the thread linking your needle to mine three times when you need to get back up here!”

We’re in a quiet spot now, so Grey views the incoming monstrosity through the eye of his needle, and relinks it with MOTLF if he teleports up.

You look through the eye of the needle. The creature is roughly humanoid, but only very roughly. It has arms and legs, but each is different from the others, and instead of a tail it seems to have the majority of a giant squid. That's how its moving so fast right now, jetting forward using the squid's siphon.  Its right arm is a giant crab claw, its left is a sort of finned and sucker covered thing with stubby fingers. Its right leg is a dense, stout limb ending in heavy claws while the right leg...it looks like a heavy cluster of coral ending in a mass of two dozen long crab limbs and claws. Its belly is covered in the segmented shell of a horseshoe crab. It looks like about half the sea floor mashed into a single, homicidal beast. And what's more it seems to be glowing with a shimmering green hue. 
[2]
Well, that's pretty freaky.

[4]
You lean over the railing and shout down at the fish.
"Hey! See that big shark thing! I bet he's delicious! You should go eat him instead of this crap!"

The fish look up at you with big, vacant eyes for a few seconds before looking at the shark. Somehow, they make a motion that you interpret as a shrug before swimming off towards the hammer.

greed creates a massive light bomb and shoots it at the hammer-thing.
[2]
Greed lifts his hands above his head and calls all the light in the area to him.  Or rather he TRIES to do this but mostly just ends up standing there with his arms above his head looking silly.

[1][6][4][4]

As the Hammer and its storm approaches the ship goes oddly silent. The sailors have run to their positions at the guns or stand ready with weapons drawn. They have nothing to do but wait and stare down the approaching behemoth. They shift and shuffle in place, breathing heavy. The atmosphere is heavy with anticipation and growing fear.  All of a sudden the captain begins striking the deck with his cane, a slow rhythmic clang of metal on metal. Soon the sailors have joined in, clanging ax heads against railings or knuckles against the cannons, stamping feet and bobbing to the growing beat. And then the captain begins to sing.

"Blood for Gold, we strike the water!"

The crew shouts back

Hey-o, and cut the sea!

Harpoon flesh, daily slaughter!"

Hey-o, and cut the sea!

Dredge the depths, find our fortune!

Hey-o, and cut the sea!

A crown of lead, to drag us deep!

Hey-o, drown the ocean. Hey-o, cut the sea!

The final line grew, chanted over and over, louder and louder.  The beat rose, men stamping and striking the steel hull with increasing vigor. The singing rose to nothing but a chorus of shouts as the cannons finally fired. The Hammer, now no more than a 150 feet away jerked and twisted as shells tore through it, sending up great sprays of blood and red foam.  Its headlong course was altered ever so slightly, so that when it collided with the ship it struck the prow with its shoulder instead of its head. The ship and the monster both rise out of the water, the ship's nose lifted up and out of the water by the impact before sliding back down and crashing into the water with a tremendous gushing wave erupting from both side. The Hammer, unable to stop slowly rising, lurches forward and looms over the deck. An instant later the storm catches up. Black clouds, biting gales, and nearly sideways downpours engulf the ship like a fanged mouth. Lightning erupts overhead with such ferocious frequency that it casts the entire scene in a disorienting strobe of blinding light and utter darkness.  It is clear now, with the beast backlight by lightning and hanging above the ship like a curse, why it got its name. It raises its crab claw and sweeps it down towards the deck.

Flame, having just gotten out of the water, finds himself flung back into it, but this time floating around near the waist of the Hammer.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Fish Stories.
« Reply #914 on: September 13, 2021, 10:06:06 pm »

Shame we couldn't lift it up before it hit the ship. No matter, the lifting spell will benefit us eventually if the fighting goes sour.

"I'm going to discharge a spell to keep us protected for the next few moments! If any of you want to do something slightly dangerous, now's the time."

Grey fires the spell in his needle into the deck of the ship:Maintain the health and physical well being of the ship's crew(5). Because Grey had the captain add the Homunculi to the ship's manifest earlier, "crew" should include all the Homunculi in our party, even if they aren't onboard currently.

Let's follow Youare and Flame's example. Grey climbs the railing and jumps to the rising monster, spending 1 fate with the goal of piercing something soft with his needle.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 10:50:29 pm by Fire and Glory »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 116