Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Solar Graveyard - Starlight  (Read 21307 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Graveyard - Starlight
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2021, 09:14:49 pm »

(That was my last action.  I suspect the issue isn't insufficient quantity of rabbits.  Particularly since it was noted that two were found.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 09:24:25 pm by Devastator »

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2021, 09:50:12 pm »

(That was my last action.  I suspect the issue isn't insufficient quantity of rabbits.  Particularly since it was noted that two were found.)
(Right but this message "The ship now has two new residents, both some kind of desert hare: a swift, long-eared rodent with long legs and a tendency to squirm out of one's grip. Fine, Lucca can probably locate them psionically." leads me to believe since you rolled a 6 you found 2 rabbits but they managed to squirm out of your hands and are now loose on the ship @NJW2000 will probably clear this up when he looks at the thread)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2021, 11:28:58 pm »

But I don't have thumbs!
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2021, 08:33:44 am »

"Okay, I got this floppy-ears thing for you.  Can you do your thing to it, Lucca?"  Says Suzy, squirming rabbit in arms.

Hmmmmmmm....Lucca locates the rabbits, And modifies it’s genes, Turning it into a fish and infusing it with Suzy’s dna.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 26, 2021, 10:44:47 pm »

(If successful)

"Fish!"  Suzy says, juggling the fish.  "I need to put it in water!"

Try to find a fish tank for the new fish.  Other than that, over the next few days convert the rest of the Obdurite, and finish the team's uniforms.  If I have time, extend the uniform thing to the new hires, making their uniforms a plain light gray.

As for the colony..

Split off an exploration group of microorganisms to enter the fish, while Suzy's still holding it.  They are to explore the physiology of the fish, and try to evaluate if Lucca's powers are compatable with magic.. ie, to discover potential problems from mixing the two.  There's been a lot of work on Suzy and I want to make sure we can work together, if necessary.  Note that the group isn't trying to colonize the fish, they're simply going to explore it and look for hazards.

For the rest of the time, review my options for better long-range combat.  Suzy is capable, yes, but there were some deficiencies found in accuracy -- it isn't something we'd have practiced inside the space colony.  Have the night crew check on any possible optimizations while the host sleeps.. motor neuron rewiring, say, and balancing out muscle fibres for more stability.  We'll do some training when we're not expending so much energy upgrading Obdurite.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 03:15:36 pm by Devastator »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2021, 10:07:22 pm »

(Whoops, I didn't notice this had updated. Sorry about that.)

Varisdel will open his empty box again! It's always good to check what it might have.
By the way, what's the status of the other drones he sent out?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2021, 08:02:39 pm »

Assigns the jobs then work on converting the extra storage room into a proper living quarters the new hires are free to help if they wish.
The new crew members seem happy with their new jobs, and rush off to take a closer look at the parts of the ship they'll be working on. The Foss watches impassively, arms folded, then follows you to the storage room. The two of you spend the day setting up rudimentary rooms, a communal area with seating, bathroom facilities and so forth. The Foss has a fair amount of local currency, and buys enough rugs, chairs and sleeping pallets to make the large space look quite homely. By the end, there are some quite pleasant living quarters.

Passing through the ship, you notice that the twins are hard at work taking an inventory in the ship's workshop, Gustav is familiarising himself with the controls, and Jack is very carefully inspecting several hundred feet of pipes for leaks.

"Okay, I got this floppy-ears thing for you.  Can you do your thing to it, Lucca?"  Says Suzy, squirming rabbit in arms.

Hmmmmmmm....Lucca locates the rabbits, And modifies it’s genes, Turning it into a fish and infusing it with Suzy’s dna.
Lucca focuses for a few seconds, psionically scanning the ship. One of the rabbits suddenly finds itself hauled out from behind one of the escape pods, gently floated down several dozen feet of corridor, and deposited beside a large crate of clean water.

Lucca spends the next few hours splicing fragments of fish DNA from his archives into the rabbit and flipping genetic switches that had been set to off ever since the species crawled on land. This is pretty easy, but inserting a great deal of Suzy's larger genome into the newly created fish without having it become semi-human is a bit harder. In the end, he leaves a few key cells as fully-fish, but makes most of the cells Suzy-fish, including all the blood and muscle, most of the organs, and so on. It's the best he can do without a fair chance of mistakes. He leaves the creature in the tank, as its body begins to slowly change and shed hair.

At one point, Lucca passes a humanoid staring at the biological regulation garden, and instructs the creature not to touch any of the extremely delicate organisms. Looks like the ship has some new passengers.

But I don't have thumbs!
You dont!

(If successful)

"Fish!"  Suzy says, juggling the fish.  "I need to put it in water!"

Try to find a fish tank for the new fish.  Other than that, over the next few days convert the rest of the Obdurite, and finish the team's uniforms.  If I have time, extend the uniform thing to the new hires, making their uniforms a plain light gray.

As for the colony..

Split off an exploration group of microorganisms to enter the fish, while Suzy's still holding it.  They are to explore the physiology of the fish, and try to evaluate if Lucca's powers are compatable with magic.. ie, to discover potential problems from mixing the two.  There's been a lot of work on Suzy and I want to make sure we can work together, if necessary.  Note that the group isn't trying to colonize the fish, they're simply going to explore it and look for hazards.

For the rest of the time, review my options for better long-range combat.  Suzy is capable, yes, but there were some deficiencies found in accuracy -- it isn't something we'd have practiced inside the space colony.  Have the night crew check on any possible optimizations while the host sleeps.. motor neuron rewiring, say, and balancing out muscle fibres for more stability.  We'll do some training when we're not expending so much energy upgrading Obdurite.

Suzy finds the fish a tank, a large clear plastic crate full of water and greenery. It's not entirely clear what rabbit-fish eat, so you try to find food that might appeal to both. Most of her time is spent making the Obdurite into adamantine. It's slow and draining work, but by the end Suzy is left holding four bars of shining blue adamantine. So no uniforms yet.

The colony is mostly occupied turning Obdurite into adamantine, for doubtless very good large-scale reasons.

The expedition finds that the new environment would be nearly as good as Suzy as a place to grow, although possibly with less potential when it comes to influencing macroscopic events. It's an odd place, a mosaic of semi-familiar cells that seem a lot like Suzy's along with occasional completely foreign cells, but it'll do.

With regard to accuracy, the colony realises that there's a bit of a problem. Suzy's muscles are well-balanced, the motor neuron fibres healthy, the tendons and ligaments just the right kinds of flexible and taut. There are improvements to be made, but they won't do much for this issue. The main issue with aiming isn't Suzy's arms, it's her brain.

While the colony can choose when to fire, aiming tends to be a macroscopic business - thousands of tiny microorganisms tumbling about in the bloodstream or swaying in muscle tissue trying to organise a concentrated energy beam together at short notice is a nightmare. Unless the host is completely still, it's much better to all agree to fire out of the fingers and let the host do the aiming. So the host needs to get her fingers in the right place. And that process depends on her brain, which sometimes doesn't function perfectly. With some practice Suzy can get better, but right now she really isn't used to firing heat rays from her hands. Apes like her are instinctively able to use hands in close combat, so your accuracy won't be terrible when it comes to contact electricity, but as for range...

Of course, there are solutions here. Actual reflexes can be wired in, simple and rapid links between the eyes and the muscles that Suzy can choose to activate just like she can choose to move her leg, letting her point a hand directly at whatever her eyes are tracking. And of course, the brain can be manually rewired, made better at certain tasks, faster and more accurate when it comes to predicting the movements of hostiles and using the limbs. Naturally, Suzy might be a bit sensitive about you effectively taking over her nervous system, especially when it comes to the second option, so this could be a problem.

(Whoops, I didn't notice this had updated. Sorry about that.)

Varisdel will open his empty box again! It's always good to check what it might have.
By the way, what's the status of the other drones he sent out?

By the time Suzy has finished creating the last three adamantine bars, the box has a new object. It's a finely drawn map of a nearby continent of this planet from before the fragmentation, showing major works of architecture: royal palaces, castles, tombs, temples, and so on. The architects and owners of each building are clearly marked.

The other drones were instructed to scan the whole planet, several million cubic miles all told, and are taking their time about it, apparently too far away to be contacted. Assuming nobody in the interior has stolen them yet, which is not a very safe assumption.

Spoiler: Ship (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventories, etc (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 04, 2021, 08:33:42 pm »

Steve gives a genuine smile a rarity for a man like him and while he abhorred every second that he spent working on the living quarters seeing such work humiliating and entirely beneath him he smiles anyway. For Steve once again has gotten something he has been looking for ever since his planet got eaten nay ever since he was a child! To actually have control. Steve looks over at the Stride Blade and gives a slight frown. Well he is getting there at least.

"Not bad if I do say so myself also thanks for the help Foss really appreciate it. Now then quickly follow me need to have a chat with one of my associates real quick."

Steve calmly walks over to Lucca's current location "Hey Lucca what was that earlier about killing me?"
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 08:36:32 pm by Fluffe9911 »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2021, 10:29:37 pm »

"So.. has anyone found any ideas that should work to get us off planet?  I have one, but we'll need a bit of Lucca's genemodding."

"It seems there's this bloodline that the world eating snake considers royal, and it would allow someone from that bloodline to go to space.  If we can find a sample, I think Lucca could  change someone to match that bloodline, which would let us leave."

"Another idea is that we could use the Stride Blade to punch a hole through the sky.  I think if we had a decoy to distract the creature for a minute or two, we could get high enough to use the Stride Blade to get us into the Chasm, and away from the planet."
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 02:47:47 pm by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 05, 2021, 06:11:07 pm »

Give Varisdel the agreed-on two bars of Adamantium, keeping two for myself.

Wired-in-reflexes should be a real possibility.. I'd just need to invent a magical ritual or a couple of enchanted objects that Suzy can work on, which can then give an explanation for gaining the new ability.  Since enacting the ritual would be a very conscious choice, and it'd be her deciding to actively use it, there shouldn't be any problems with resentment.

But lets see how far she can get with practice before going for more extreme improvements.  There are some other ideas, like maybe giving her a sword or a bow or a staff or something can better direct her movements.

There's also what to do with the adamantium..

Take one of the adamantium bars, and cut off a tiny portion of it, enough for like a locket or a small bracelet.  Form one from the metal, using the normal reshaping ability and forge tools.  Suzy can decide what it looks like.  Use exposure to it and tiny fragments from the forging process to examine the biological usefulness of adamantium.. like, could it be used to strengthen bones?

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 07, 2021, 06:29:52 am »

Steve gives a genuine smile a rarity for a man like him and while he abhorred every second that he spent working on the living quarters seeing such work humiliating and entirely beneath him he smiles anyway. For Steve once again has gotten something he has been looking for ever since his planet got eaten nay ever since he was a child! To actually have control. Steve looks over at the Stride Blade and gives a slight frown. Well he is getting there at least.

"Not bad if I do say so myself also thanks for the help Foss really appreciate it. Now then quickly follow me need to have a chat with one of my associates real quick."

Steve calmly walks over to Lucca's current location "Hey Lucca what was that earlier about killing me?"

You... gave me a contract where I would be lesser in status and have to follow the orders of a HAIRLESS MONKEY WHO Doesn’t KNOW HIS PLACE.

After that outburst, Lucca decides to modify the new crew members genes and give them a bit of Suzy DNA, Out of scientific curiosity .

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 07, 2021, 12:58:58 pm »

"Oh, hey, Lucca, it looks like magic can work with your genemodding.  Still interested in getting samples?"

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2021, 02:00:01 pm »

You... gave me a contract where I would be lesser in status and have to follow the orders of a HAIRLESS MONKEY WHO Doesn’t KNOW HIS PLACE.
Steve gives a look of genuine confusion "...What? Im sorry Lucca but im afraid I have no clue what your talking about the product ownership contract had no statement relating to following my orders on anything other then use of my DNA and the contractor contract I simply put your name as a CLIENT so you can give orders to our new workers although if this troubles you for some reason I will be more and happy to remove your name from the contract."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 02:03:53 pm by Fluffe9911 »

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 07, 2021, 02:15:34 pm »

Steve gives a look of genuine confusion "...What? Im sorry Lucca but im afraid I have no clue what your talking about the product ownership contract had no statement relating to following my orders on anything other then use of my DNA and the contractor contract I simply put your name as a CLIENT so you can give orders to our new workers although if this troubles you for some reason I will be more and happy to remove your name from the contract."

Yes, Thank you.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2021, 02:43:02 pm »

Yes, Thank you.
Steve gives a amused chuckle "Alrighty consider it done I shall update the other workers contracts as well in due time now if you excuse me I'm going to head to the bridge and relax for awhile." Steve updates the contracts to remove Lucca from the client list then relaxes on the bridge for a while staring outside the window at the stars and generally pondering things.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 02:45:31 pm by Fluffe9911 »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12