Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 94401 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R2, Day 1): Don't Trust Off Brand Baked Goods
« Reply #390 on: October 08, 2021, 11:06:54 pm »

Current feelings:

Jack - town
Roden - town

Tric - mixed, although slightly town unless they're gutsy, don't really feel like poisoning anymore
Vector - mixed, hasn't shared but could see town!Vector acting like they have today

Met - hasn't shared, has barely posted
NJW - hasn't shared, really wants Roden and Jack...my top two townreads, I would be less suspicious of this if their day game was like Round 1's but I haven't seen that

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 08, 2021, 11:11:02 pm »

I will leave my vote on Metruption over NJW. I particularly want their feelings on every player not just Vector, but also especially Vector.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 09, 2021, 12:04:20 am »

Could have mentioned that. Does it still proc if we lynch you?
Yes. If people try to push for me I will absolutely bring down my top suspect with me.

For some clarity, my daykill only pops at the same time the lynch happens. We can't flip someone and then decide on someone else the same day. It'll be simultaneous. I guess it's for game balance.
That's not a day kill lol. This changes everything, it's way less safe than an actual day kill if it's conditional on there being an elimination.
Can you tell us the name of your role? And does your day kill count as an actual Vig shot or is it technically a second lynch?
There doesn't have to be an elimination, they die at the end of the day regardless. I apologize for not clarifying this sooner but I wanted to get some good reactions and voices on who people would like to see dead during the day, this is why I'm stating it now.

The full name is One-Shot Day Poisoner. My flavor's hidden profession is toxicologist.
This is such a bold claim...I don't think you're lying, it's way too specific and easily disprovable to be a lie. I want to believe it's a town ability too because I can see your intentions with your claim come from a townie mindset.

My only issue is that if it is true, it sort of implies scum don't have bullets, otherwise the game could end with a scum win Day 1. Unless your target doesn't die of poison until the next day, which could still let scum have bullets in a 1 Mafia + 1 Ally scenario.

Maybe we should vote today then? If we can get the votes together in time, I'd go for NJW since I don't feel like his reads have progressed much and he's been way too focused on my no lynch suggestion, I don't see him scum hunting like I did last game. And him wanting either me or Jack day killed feels really off, Jack is obvtown this game and is contributing way more than he did last time around.

@EuchreJack: how likely do you consider the possibility that Roden is a mafia tracker?
Next to nil, but I like considering the nearly impossible.

I'd be happier seeing Toonyman shoot you or Roden right now, although I want to see what else Met does before that happens.

@NJW2000: Considering that Toonyman gets to take the shot, and is apparently convinced both Roden and I are town, whom is your third choice?
OK, so you think the chance of a mafia tracker is next to nil, and that explains a hard townread. Glad that's cleared up.

I don't really know who my third choice is. I've picked out who I think is the scumteam, who else is there? Can't ask Toony to shoot themselves, don't want them to shoot me, that leaves Tric, Met and Vector. Tric is pretty hard to read, Vector is right that I can't read them because I've literally never seen them play a game this decade where their D1 couldn't be summed up as "here's some reads, I'm better than y'all at mafia but don't have time to post because I'm doing a masters", and Met has about six sentences of actual content. So honestly no idea.

What's the agenda with this question, Jack? You honestly think Toony is going to let us vote on who he shoots?

For some clarity, my daykill only pops at the same time the lynch happens. We can't flip someone and then decide on someone else the same day. It'll be simultaneous. I guess it's for game balance.
Could have mentioned that. Does it still proc if we lynch you?
This post in particular has been pinging me. When asked who else could be a decent target, he doesn't give a concrete answer and says he doesn't have a read on the others, but then immediately suggests a Toony lynch. This suggests that if two scum exist, he believes it's within Toony/Jack/me. The problem is that I know I'm town, Jack is obvtown, and Toony while not obvtown obviously cannot be a solo scum in this scenario without auto losing.

It's possible NJW is scum and Toony is the Ally, and by pushing me and Jack we either attack each other or help him bus his ally, who's only job is to day kill and then die. No matter the outcome, he positions himself in a good spot Day 2. As if me and Jack get lynched and poisoned, that's two town down and Toony takes the heat Day 2. And if Toony gets lynched and poisons town, NJW gets the bus credit and can push me and Jack with little resistance. Even if Toony actually is town, scum!NJW is still set up to be in a really good spot.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 09, 2021, 01:36:20 am »

I don't think NJW actually suspects me as long as I prove my kill.

I have no intentions of voting or poisoning you or Jack today so I can't really see that happening.

Lynching someone only is better for me obviously since I can hold onto my day poison, one of the downsides of my ability is I can't get info on someone's flip before poisoning my target the same day. So I would be blind picking the second target unfortunately without the actual flip of the first known yet. So it's more like a double lynch for that day. And of course with less players I'm more likely to get a mafia hit or break lylo if it comes to that.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 09, 2021, 04:15:50 am »

I think mechanically there is going to be a lot of death in this setup. Maybe even as little as one scum. My ability should allow me to be confirmable as town by a tracker during n2.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 09, 2021, 06:18:30 am »

NJW
i would expect town!njw to respond to tric pointing out the logical leaps made by now, especially considering njw has posted since then and responded to something else entirely. my guess is that the badlogic was a genuine scumslip and njw just ignoring it, and hoping people forget about it

the right thing to do when you scumslip is explain how it isn't a scumslip and then win the game off of it with charisma by getting all of your detractors yeeted
I don't even know which posts you're referring to. This has been an 150 page D1.

Do you mean tric pushing against Jack? Why would I respond to that? I don't defend people.

Also, what scumslip? What bad logic? I'm not trying to suggest that there hasn't been a scumslip or bad logic, I just don't know which posts you're referring to or even who made them. You don't make that clear. If there has been an actual scumslip, please point it out.

This is pretty typical, really. There have been 150 posts on a D1 with zero confirmed mechanical information, and people scumread me for not responding to each and every one of them. I'll go back through the giant morass of posts yet again and try to work out who I'd be ok with lynching, but I really can't wait for this day to end.
One wheel short of a wagon

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 09, 2021, 07:37:42 am »

Oh fuck, I actually did misread.
But the salt in your post still makes me sr you.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 09, 2021, 09:25:24 am »

I think mechanically there is going to be a lot of death in this setup. Maybe even as little as one scum. My ability should allow me to be confirmable as town by a tracker during n2.
What?

Do you have reads on everyone besides"NJW is mad"? I suspect you as mafia if it's exactly with Vector. Vector town read you with very little to go on while everyone else is pretty null on you which is odd. Your response to my question could very well direct us to hitting scum on D1. Since if you and Vector are legit I really do think it's Tric and NJW.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 09, 2021, 11:02:21 am »

Well the day ends in 3 hours and I'm leaving my vote on Met. If I'm at risk of being lynched today or there's a tie or something that would cause a NL I'll poison Met or NJW. Otherwise if I survive tonight I'll poison someone tomorrow.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 09, 2021, 11:10:28 am »

Metruption, what makes you think there is a lot of death? That does not sound good at all. And toony does have a point about who you think is town and who you think is scum.

Still don't trust Toony though.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 09, 2021, 11:24:44 am »

1. Met comes in to play finally with this post:
I don't like jack's play. It's similar to last game but instead of never taking a real stance this game jack is taking many weak stances. NJW seems like a player I will have difficulty reading. Ultimately I'll have to do some kind of agenda meta analysis. The way Tric tunnels on roden is notable

who claimed psychologist and then said they were actually a redirector? that's policy yeetable tbh
also biologist is not really related to psychology. like maybe one could argue that psychology is a form of biology but if someone wants to get that pedantic then i will remind them that literally everything is just applied set theory
Met susses Jack and Tric while thinking NJW is hard to read. Makes no mention of myself, Roden, or Vector.

2. Met follows up with this:
so you're just ignoring my soulread on you?
jack
A "soulread" vote on Jack for not addressing them properly, which is true so I don't fault them for this voting Jack based on their feelings.

3. Vector comes in now to say:
I still think it's Tric and I'm sticking with it. P. sure Metruption is town, think Toony is town, ... Euchrejack is probably town, he's all over the place as town. I guess if I was going to think of a team it would be NJW/Tric. NJW was playing good town last game and just took a massive drop in skill level, so that's a tell of some kind.
Vector susses Tric and NJW. Thinks Met is town just based on their couple posts prior that don't really have much. Also believes in myself and Jack. Makes no mention of Roden either funny enough. To be fair mafia!Jack in the last round also forgot to mention Roden.

4. Next Vector post:
PS: I'm good with the "Toony shoots and NL if they're town" plan. I'm also OK with NJW, even. That would give us a lot of information about EJ and Tric, and I genuinely think NJW could be scum.

I know that I've been one of the options. If you decide I'm going to die today, you need to let me claim first. I'll be on tonight but I may be absent for a while because, you know, I have grad school.
Vector is cool with me killing NJW of course.

5. The next day Met comes in again with this:
NJW
i would expect town!njw to respond to tric pointing out the logical leaps made by now, especially considering njw has posted since then and responded to something else entirely. my guess is that the badlogic was a genuine scumslip and njw just ignoring it, and hoping people forget about it

the right thing to do when you scumslip is explain how it isn't a scumslip and then win the game off of it with charisma by getting all of your detractors yeeted
Met jumps to NJW now towards day end, doesn't talk about anything else.

6. Vector comes in again just to be confused about Jack (a natural response):
The Toonyman/Vector scum team needed to find out if there was a roleblocker or doctor, and who had it, before they could hammer for the win.

Which is why I said that I didn't want a fullclaim, which I already ate shit for. Please keep up.
They don't really add much here.

7. Met again:
Fair enough.

Oh fuck, I actually did misread.
But the salt in your post still makes me sr you.
NJW counters their argument against Met who goes "you're right, but I'll be leaving my vote on you anyway because soulread".

Is Met just voting NJW here as an easy target? That's my impression.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 09, 2021, 11:32:08 am »

Ok, it looks like I won't be able to get Roden or Euchre eliminated, sad but not unexpected.

I'm pretty ok with eliminating Met - basing a vote on skimreading is, if not scummy, at least anti-town enough that getting rid of them is worthwhile. Is my stance influenced by the fact that they made me reread forty posts line-by-line due to their own screwup, then had the audacity to say "whoops salty -> scum anyhow"? Yes, probably it is.

Not going to vote just yet because I'm not 100% sure that they're on two votes not three already and don't really want to hammer. Still, that's who I'll be voting to eliminate, unless a Roden or Euchre wagon springs up in the last three hours.
One wheel short of a wagon

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 09, 2021, 12:12:33 pm »

Another thing is that town!Met and mafia!Vector were bashing heads and crossvoting last round while there's been no hint of that this game. If we take this reasoning further we could argue that they both have a new agenda now to suss NJW and Tric while supporting each other. They don't feel as threatened by NJW since he wants Roden and Jack mainly and Tric is Tric.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 09, 2021, 12:16:13 pm »

Tensions were high, and it was far too late already. Very soon, someone was going to be chosen for execution.

Quote from: Votecount
Toonyman (0):
Roden (0):
TricMagic (1): Vector
EuchreJack (0):
NJW2000 (1): Metruption
Vector (0):
Metruption (2): ToonyMan, TricMagic

No Execution (0):
Not Voting (3): Roden, EuchreJack, NJW2000
4 to hammer.

Day 1 ends at 2 PM Central time, or a little less than two hours from now - or on hammer.

(Now's also your chance to point out any issues with the vote count, if you notice anything I missed, although I did a pretty thorough reading of the thread to check for votes.)
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 09, 2021, 12:25:23 pm »

I'm afraid I'm at a family event and won't be able to help much with this End-of-day, but I trust my colleagues.

Toonyman is town. Mafia would keep their mouth shut
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 153