Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 118578 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #1215 on: September 15, 2022, 03:18:38 am »

We are not in the mid-20th century. Standards of what is acceptable in a war and what isn't are different now. Believe it or not, turning a city full of civilians into rubble by indiscriminate artillery barrages and carpet bombings are not OK.

Not least due to the accuracy and power of modern weapons. Targets that once required a thousand bombers to destroy now can be wiped out by a single salvo from a single vehicle. That's only part of it, though.

In most of WWII Europe, the damage to civilian infrastructure was primarily caused by having to go town to town digging out a stubborn conqueror. It is far too likely that Ukraine will have to visit such destruction on her own cities to regain freedom, but that's not what Russia is doing.

The rest of it was done to Germany itself, as the world responded to an aggressor by applying overwhelming force  to annihilate their ability to continue to wage war. That would be done differently today and with far less collateral damage, but it would still be defensible. That's also not what Russia is doing.

Late in WWII, when it was clear the war was lost and the German Army was being purged from France one town and city at a time, Hitler allegedly issued an order to burn Paris and the other great cities that the Reich still held to the ground out of a belief that European civilization deserved to die rather than surrender to the "untermenschen". Such an order would be entirely consistent with fascist ideology, but if issued it was not carried out - supposedly the generals in charge feared they'd be lynched if they did so and fell into Allied hands. THAT is the closest WWII analogy to what Russia is doing.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: September 15, 2022, 11:08:34 pm »

@EuchreJack
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

@Strongpoint
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What happens if Ukraine completely removes Russian forces from Ukraine, including Crimea, but is unable to invade Russia due to diminished global support? There are Russians who created and supported the war but never left Russia; can they be extradited and tried as war criminals? If left in Russia, will they use their power to isolate Russian civilians from the world, like North Koreans are isolated, so that all trade into Russia goes through them?

Will Western countries continue the "global good guy" narrative and allow Western political representatives to publicly take over the role of reparations to Ukraine, with all the potential for corruption to occur in backroom deals that will primarily benefit select groups of Ukrainians and Western companies?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: September 16, 2022, 12:03:27 am »

What happens if Ukraine completely removes Russian forces from Ukraine, including Crimea, but is unable to invade Russia due to diminished global support?

Ukraine celebrates victory, fortifies borders, and starts making diplomatic efforts (likely mostly futile) to get reparations and bring war criminals to justice. There is no unable here. There is completely unwilling.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: September 16, 2022, 09:11:50 am »

What happens when you try to make a force made of convicts (aka Wagner mercenaries) and professional protestor beaters (aka Russian Police) and they meet in a hotel during rotation after having their asses kicked in Ukraine

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1570770758682677255

I want to see episode 2, in which more Wagner guys will come to the hotel.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: September 16, 2022, 10:15:41 am »

Do you know what they're fighting about?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: September 16, 2022, 10:25:03 am »

Do you know what they're fighting about?

Nope, all that can be heard is the Wagner guy saying (using many Russian curse words) that his guys will soon come.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1221 on: September 16, 2022, 03:35:23 pm »

What happens if Ukraine completely removes Russian forces from Ukraine, including Crimea, but is unable to invade Russia due to diminished global support?

Ukraine celebrates victory, fortifies borders, and starts making diplomatic efforts (likely mostly futile) to get reparations and bring war criminals to justice. There is no unable here. There is completely unwilling.

I fully anticipate Russian and Ukrainian border clashes long after the War ends.

Now, the second part of the question is more interesting:
There are Russians who created and supported the war but never left Russia; can they be extradited and tried as war criminals? If left in Russia, will they use their power to isolate Russian civilians from the world, like North Koreans are isolated, so that all trade into Russia goes through them?

I don't predict a North Korea situation.  Russia is too big and too rich for that.
The end of the War will make winners and losers in Russia's Elite.
The Winners will remain the Winners, and try to reopen foreign trade to they can make more money.

The Losers will get all the blame, and a few of them might even be turned over to the international authorities as scapegoats.
Basically, those in the middle of the Losers faction. The highest ones, like possibly Putin, will either be killed internally, "allowed" to flee to some safe country that lacks extradition, or tentatively cling onto some power as figureheads.
The lowest ones will either die or defect en-masse.

If the West needs Russian blood to reopen trade, don't be surprised if the Russians have people to sacrifice.

I'll also mention the War isn't done yet.  These are the scariest days when desperate men do desperate things.

EDIT: I changed the topic name to make it easier to differentiate from the News thread.  We're not as formal about such things these days due to the overall maturity of the forum, but try to keep News Reports in the News Threads and Idle Speculation to This Thread.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: September 16, 2022, 08:16:57 pm »

I fully anticipate Russian and Ukrainian border clashes long after the War ends.

I fully anticipate that this war, in one form or another, will go on for decades. Or until Russia will cease to exist.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: September 16, 2022, 09:05:08 pm »

Or Russia's government is overthrown and the people in charge want to consolidate power rather than focus on a war, or it breaks into civil war so foreign war seems a bad idea.

Not likely, but you never know.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: September 16, 2022, 11:29:07 pm »

Or Russia's government is overthrown and the people in charge want to consolidate power rather than focus on a war

Overthrown Russian government changes little. A huge majority of Russians have the ideology that Ukraine doesn't exist (or should not exist) and this means that the war will continue. It may merely temporarily deescalate. Russian culture, as it is, is incompatible with Ukraine.

It also works in another direction, millions of Ukrainians are now confident that Russia must cease to exist or our children will also have to wage war against a genocide attempt. At the very least, any anti-Russians movement or country will receive non-governmental support.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: September 17, 2022, 12:02:57 am »

Unless something monumental changes, Russia won't be able to repeat this war. Even assuming Ukraine never joins NATO, it is extremely likely that they'll be armed with first-line Western equipment five years from now. Even if Western governments have to subsidize the cost, it would be a rounding error compared to the effects of this conflict on the global economy.

Ukraine's been fighting this war with Soviet leftovers (decent, if used correctly, but the only real option for spare parts and ammunition is battlefield capture at this point - anything they can get from other countries has been sucked up), their own indigenous production (quite good, but almost as hard to get supplies for), and a small subset of Western gear (essentially, anything that requires very limited retraining and logistics support). As is, the largest cap to what the West can provide is that anything more complicated needs a ton of support infrastructure, maintenance training, and operator training. Sooner or later, the front will be stabilized enough that providing that investment will become a "now" thing rather than a "later".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: September 17, 2022, 12:13:34 am »

On the other side, Russia has burned through vast portions of their massive stockpile of equipment that they spent the entire Cold War building in.....six months.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: September 17, 2022, 12:52:18 am »

Russia will still have oil (read money). Russia will still have its own defense industry. Western sanctions will weaken it somewhat but so what? Iran produces its own weapons despite decades of sanctions.

Russia will rebuild its army. And Russia will still have nukes making it immune to stuff like having their infrastructure bombed away by modern airforce. And economic, propaganda and terrorism wars are also types of wars.

Let's also not forget that Ukraine will face economic, social, demographic, and many more crises. The simple fact is that Russia hurt us way more than we can possibly hurt it. It hurt us more than Western sanctions hurt it. If you define victory in war as hurting your enemy more than they hurt you... Ukraine can't win.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: September 17, 2022, 01:09:38 am »

Ukraine pretty much has to rebuild vast portions her country from scratch, no doubt on that.

Joining NATO would probably be the best case scenario, since those NATO solders want infrastructure, entertainment, etc.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: September 17, 2022, 01:51:42 am »

Murdered can't be "rebuilt"... kidnapped children are unlikely to be returned... many refugees won't come back after finding new life abroad... Mentally traumatized people can't be fully cured... Even our land itself will take so long to restore after war-related ecological damage...

Destroyed property is the least of our concerns.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 167