Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119159 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #1200 on: September 13, 2022, 10:55:44 am »

They're using the exact method I do in strategy games.

Now I'm imagining Putin desparately trying to load an older version of the troop movement map and shouting "save scum! save scum!"...

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: September 13, 2022, 01:39:22 pm »

So, reportedly(!), fighting on the Azerbaijani-Armenian border resumed. If true, it means that a Russian-mediated ceasefire was held for less than a day.

Make no mistake, it is not usual clashes in Nagorno-Karabakh, those are artillery\drone strikes into Armenian territory. It would be unthinkable a year ago.

Russia severely damaged its influence in the region, no one is afraid of its armed forces anymore. What will happen in the next year should the war in Ukraine continue and Russia will lose an even larger % of its military potential?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: September 13, 2022, 10:41:01 pm »

I feel horrible for Armenia, a country with declining population, that has gone through so much in it's history, but with an amazing history and culture, they are forced to ally with Russia and the west sure as hell doesn't give a fuck because of Turkey's stance on this.

I... Feel sorry for them for different reasons. Armenia went full into imperialism with the clear attitude of "we are a thousands-year old nation superior to all our neighbors and each plot of land that once was part of the Great Armenia is rightfully ours"
And it is a bad idea to go imperialistic when you are a small nation with the only thing in your favor being a BIG FRIEND. It is also a bad idea to commit horrible ethnic cleansing against your bigger neighbor and annexing a chunk of their territory.

I heard with my own ears Armenians going "After what Turks did to us in 1915, we have a right to do whatever we want to them". Yes, in a typical xenophobic fashion they refuse to see any difference between various kinds of "Turks", if you speak Turkic language you are a Turk, a subhuman.

What Armenia should do is to give Azerbaijani lands they occupied in 1990s, apologize for ethnic cleansing, bring (at least some of) people responsible for ethnic cleansing to justice and start repairing relations with diplomacy. Should they fail to do so, they'll go down together with Russia
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: September 14, 2022, 08:46:06 am »

Armenia has appealed to the CSTO under Article 4 (the equivalent of NATO article 5) to help them restore Armenia's territorial integrity after an attack by Azerbaijan. Armenia claims Azerbaijan currently occupies some territory inside Armenia.

Armenian chances to get any help are slim at best... Well, one less Russian military ally. If things would go differently, we would have some Armenian "peacekeepers" garrisoning occupied Ukraine.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #1204 on: September 14, 2022, 09:52:36 am »

Yep.

With Russia being decimated militarily with sanctions and from its failed "operation" in Ukraine, Azerbaijan will use this opportunity to murder Armenia. They'll get away with it too, because the EU desperately needed an alternative source of gas after Russia stopped providing.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: September 14, 2022, 10:04:33 am »

Yep.

With Russia being decimated militarily with sanctions and from its failed "operation" in Ukraine, Azerbaijan will use this opportunity to murder Armenia. They'll get away with it too, because the EU desperately needed an alternative source of gas after Russia stopped providing.

Armenian government should accept ALL demands, recognize Karabakh to be Azerbaijani territory and sign a lasting peace treaty.

Will they do this? It will help (or even save) their country but... but they WILL be labeled traitors by the majority and their political careers will be over.

The alternative is a bloody war and more severe concessions in a peace treaty later.

Funny how I sound like many Westerners with their "Ukraine should just surrender" but the situation is different. Azerbaijan has no interest in ethnocide.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #1206 on: September 14, 2022, 10:07:21 am »

Azerbaijan has no interest in ethnocide.

lol

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: September 14, 2022, 10:22:31 am »

Azerbaijan has no interest in ethnocide.

lol

It really doesn't. We also haven't seen any major atrocities in or after the recent 2020 war. 

And, most definitely, Azerbaijani propaganda is not going "Armenians aren't really a nation. They are, in fact, sick Azerbaijani who need to be reeducated (or eliminated if the disease went too far)"

Of course, there is no love towards Armenians. Armenians who'll choose to stay on the territory they occupied may (or rather WILL) be treated harshly. But there will be no ethnocide.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: September 14, 2022, 01:42:59 pm »

Meanwhile, Russia launched new strikes against civilian infrastructure. Most are of limited success, but the dam in Krivyi Rih is severely damaged, leaving the city with some minor (ATM, may become worse) flooding and without the main source of drinking water.

Someone doesn't want to admit that they lost the war and continue with their petty terrorism

In other news, Armenians protest... Demanding a war from their government. Well, minus one Russian ally, I can't complain, right?... Many more young Armenians will die for nothing
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 01:56:23 pm by Strongpoint »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: September 14, 2022, 05:17:10 pm »

... it's not like Russia can spare any equipment.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: September 14, 2022, 09:50:39 pm »

With the talk about the damaging of civilian infrastructure, I'd like to point at what happened in Europe during WWII. In all areas where there was fighting, there was massive damage to civilian infrastructure.

I'm not condoning or saying it was unintentional, but am saying this is what happens in war. And, I would context it as "the war is the crime and many of the actions taken during the war are the result of ignorance, fear, and anger, which are responses to the insanity of being involved in a war."

Some of the Ukrainians will do things to Russians that they have believe Russians did to Ukrainians. Should these be compared as similar crimes?

In all cases, the Russian government and nation, in whatever form it takes after the war, is fully responsible for the war, even if there is a "new" Russian government that claims the previous one has been destroyed.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: September 14, 2022, 10:31:18 pm »

With the talk about the damaging of civilian infrastructure, I'd like to point at what happened in Europe during WWII. In all areas where there was fighting, there was massive damage to civilian infrastructure.

I'm not condoning or saying it was unintentional, but am saying this is what happens in war. And, I would context it as "the war is the crime and many of the actions taken during the war are the result of ignorance, fear, and anger, which are responses to the insanity of being involved in a war."

Some of the Ukrainians will do things to Russians that they have believe Russians did to Ukrainians. Should these be compared as similar crimes?

In all cases, the Russian government and nation, in whatever form it takes after the war, is fully responsible for the war, even if there is a "new" Russian government that claims the previous one has been destroyed.

Uh...NO
At least to the first two paragraphs.

The outrage is that Russia is targeting civilian targets far away from the fighting in retaliation for Russia's losses.
My outrage at YOU is that this has been going on for the entire war, so I would have thought you would know better by now.

We're not talking "Ordinary War" but rather "Ordinary War Crime".

This is probably the kindest response you will be getting to that comment. It's certainly nicer than what I had originally written.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: September 14, 2022, 11:26:50 pm »

Let me state the fucking obvious: during WW2 civilians were obviously delliberatedly targeted. Particularily by the Germans and Russians but far from the only ones.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: September 15, 2022, 01:12:19 am »

We are not in the mid-20th century. Standards of what is acceptable in a war and what isn't are different now. Believe it or not, turning a city full of civilians into rubble by indiscriminate artillery barrages and carpet bombings are not OK.

Also, we are talking not only about random strikes. We are talking about deliberate attacks on train stations during a publicly announced evacuation, supermarkets, and power stations with precise weapons. Now Russians damaged a dam in an effort to flood a city. They did it with 8 high precision cruise missiles, deliberately spending millions of dollars on this "noble goal".

*breathes in and breathes out to avoid going full F-word sentences*  "Believe Russians did?" IT IS A DAMN FACT. Now, with significant areas liberated, we find graves and torture chambers every damned day. We hear horrifying stories of survivors.

Ukrainians aren't doing this. UNDERSTAND? No, I am not naive. I understand there are sporadic executions (and even torturing) of POWs... And some collaborators got... really unlucky. But it is not by orders from high-ranking officers. Individual war crimes always happen in a war. Especially when the other side went full ethnocide mode.

Don't you dare to use "Ukrainians and Russians are both..." in any damned context.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: September 15, 2022, 01:55:33 am »

💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 167