Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119209 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1545 on: October 15, 2022, 10:00:47 pm »

I dunno, let's imagine that Trump wins next election with popular support somehow and makes himself presidente for life, invades mexico as rightful USian clay. And then loses.

Our hypothetical presidente deals with this situation by saying he never claimed that mexico is rightful USian clay, and furthermore we were only defeated by a cabal of sinister european woke globalist deep staters so please donate now to save america.
Does our hypothetical now majority trumpist american people dethrone him for this? I think not, their ideology is Trump. Blatant logical contradiction isn't enough to knock down that sort of leader.

If you could read Russian political forums (or Russian segments of any social network) you wouldn't be saying this.

Putin is already HATED by radicals for not being able to win this war in a quick and decisive way.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: October 16, 2022, 04:05:13 am »

Were those same radicals expressing hate for Putin before the first disasters of the war? I would expect they cooperated with Putin, angry about his dominance over them but fearful of his power, but now he looks weaker so they are barking and showing their teeth.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: October 16, 2022, 04:13:55 am »

I really don't think anyone would start a nuclear war to stay in power. It would defeat the purpose, see?

Ah, but Putin isn't facing a nuclear war. The West has made clear that they're 100% NOT GOING to start a Nuclear War over Putin nuking Ukraine.
Thus, Putin has the green light to Nuke Ukraine.

The West has once again sold out.

Ironically, the United States actually saves the world, since we're basically a bipolar country that changes its mind every few years.
So Putin has to be worried that President Biden will try to mobilize Republican Warhawks from their slumber with promises of nuclear retaliation upon Putin.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: October 16, 2022, 05:09:35 am »

I really don't think anyone would start a nuclear war to stay in power. It would defeat the purpose, see?

Ah, but Putin isn't facing a nuclear war. The West has made clear that they're 100% NOT GOING to start a Nuclear War over Putin nuking Ukraine.
Thus, Putin has the green light to Nuke Ukraine.

No, the West has not. Both the US and Britain have kept any discussion of what their response would be extremely vague, and have repeatedly declined to rule out a nuclear response.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: October 16, 2022, 06:45:58 am »

(...ponders, idly, whether Boris Johnson's "Letter Of Last Resort" has yet been properly replaced by Truss's, where it counts... And, indeed if Truss's will get there before possibly Hunt/Rees-Mogg/A.N. Other gets to write theirs. I imagine that this additional uncertainty (above the already tantalising "WWBD?"/”WWLD?” ...and the rest) surely is factored into what levels of escalation anyone would dare to commit to.)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: October 16, 2022, 10:58:13 am »

Honestly, I think Truss would GLADLY go to war with Russia, if only to get the attention off of her. So Russia better not do anything to give Truss an excuse. I suspect Putin understands that basic fact...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1551 on: October 17, 2022, 10:44:51 am »

Honestly, I think Truss would GLADLY go to war with Russia, if only to get the attention off of her. So Russia better not do anything to give Truss an excuse. I suspect Putin understands that basic fact...
Truss was already turbo anti-Russia jingo when she was foreign secretary in the Bojo Prime Ministerialship. Her anti-Putin conviction hasn't wavered a bit, and she still blames every ill in her cursed adminstration on Putin. The only reason she wouldn't commit to any Russian op is if her backbenchers threatened to unseat her because her government is pretty weak atm

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: October 17, 2022, 11:47:48 am »

So, today a fighter jet smashed into a residential building in Russia. And Russians are like "Why those Ukrainians are gloating in the comments? It is a tragedy! Those are innocent people. Ukrainians are monsters"

Yeah, really, why... Russians are so unable to put themselves in someone's else shoes...

________

As for me, I felt no emotions apart from the sad news that the pilot ejected in time (BTW, decent human beings, when having a malfunction above a residential area, will try to divert their aircraft before saving their own skin... But we are talking about a Russian pilot here).

Empathy is a limited resource after all.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: October 17, 2022, 12:08:07 pm »

I guess after bombing your fifth residential district, you sorta stop carrying about saving a residential district over your own skin, even if the nationality may have changed.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: October 17, 2022, 01:22:47 pm »

Apparently it was a training flight, which both pilots (presumably at least one being considered experienced enough to train) ejected after an engine caught fire on take-off. Which means nearly full fuel tanks (though no ordinance, presumably, if that wasn't part of the training) and it was either a bird-strike or a very rapid mechanical failure (both of which you'd expect ground teams to mitigate through various procedures).

But hard to tell how accurate those details are. They sound damning enough, but could even then be a coverup for even worse digressions from basic airworthiness and flight safety that caused (by current reports) three civilian deaths.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: October 17, 2022, 01:26:51 pm »

Apparently it was a training flight

Correction: Russian ministry of defense said it was a training flight.

I find it very dubious. Russia is big enough to train its pilots somewhere NOT near an active combat zone

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: October 17, 2022, 01:52:25 pm »

Apparently it was a training flight

Correction: Russian ministry of defense said it was a training flight.

I find it very dubious. Russia is big enough to train its pilots somewhere NOT near an active combat zone

Ah, but Russia is big on "training by doing", so it was probably a combat mission.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: October 17, 2022, 02:56:18 pm »

Apparently [...]

But hard to tell how accurate those details are.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: October 17, 2022, 03:08:34 pm »

Apparently it was a training flight, which both pilots (presumably at least one being considered experienced enough to train) ejected after an engine caught fire on take-off. Which means nearly full fuel tanks (though no ordinance, presumably, if that wasn't part of the training) and it was either a bird-strike or a very rapid mechanical failure (both of which you'd expect ground teams to mitigate through various procedures).

But hard to tell how accurate those details are. They sound damning enough, but could even then be a coverup for even worse digressions from basic airworthiness and flight safety that caused (by current reports) three civilian deaths.

The video of the crash shows secondary detonations that appear to be munitions.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: October 17, 2022, 03:23:07 pm »

The video of the crash shows secondary detonations that appear to be munitions.

That was clearly from the Ukrainian terrorists that used the apartment block as a base of operations.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 167