Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119194 times)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #2400 on: March 01, 2023, 07:59:42 am »

Basically, everything publicly available says that there's no real integration between the AGM-88 missiles (AKA High Speed Anti Radiation Missile, or HARM) that have been supplied to Ukraine and the onboard computers of their fighters - the systems are too incompatible. So all they can really do is preprogrammed missions based on intelligence. A US fighter can fly around, pick up all radar systems in the area, decide precisely which ones need destroying (to clear a path for a strike, for example) on the fly, and engage accordingly.

It is nearly certain that the JDAM kits they're supposed to be getting will be similarly limited. NATO and Soviet computers just don't speak the same language.
Interesting. Any idea if Russian anti radiation weapons have this capability? and whether Ukraine was provided with loitering munition (these did some damage in Azerbaijan and safer than using a plane) ?

Regardless it seems that both sides adapted to the situation. It doesn't seem that either side is able to do much flying over often simply lobbing standoff missiles, and both utilize mobile radar platforms that go active only for short time when necessary.

Not to mention that the reputation of Russian weaponry is in the toilet right now and that's going to make a lot of countries buy American instead.
USA strategy to subsidize replacement of Russian equipment in Europe was smart, Putin's war certainly going to cause Russia too loose market, and USA as the biggest arm exporter in the world is certain to benefit from rearmament.

That said its its not a dichotomy, there are many emerging markets that offer products that are more suited to Russia's export market, and i'd like to believe that  EU will have learned its lesson and use its newly found unity to invest in local production in the long run reducing its dependence on USA.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 11:11:16 am by jipehog »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: March 01, 2023, 04:56:46 pm »

i'd like to believe that  EU will have learned its lesson and use its newly found unity to invest in local production in the long run reducing its dependence on USA.

My limited understanding of organizations mean any change is unlikely.

While all the EU countries likely agree that overreliance on the USA is a bad thing, the clusterfuck of who gets the lucrative military contracts means its just plain easier to keep buying American.  If, for example, Germany became the largest supplier of EU equipment, then all the other EU countries would hate Germany for reaping the perceived rewards of manufacturing all that military equipment, and Germany would be pissed that they're shouldering the burden for the entire EU.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: March 02, 2023, 05:40:20 am »

So, according to Russian media, a group of Ukrainian soldiers crossed the Russian and killed some civilians.

*Yawns*. They could invent something more plausible for the next wave of mobilization or whatever they want to do.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2403 on: March 02, 2023, 10:27:21 am »

BEHOLD PUTIN'S GLORIOUS CHURCH MAKE GREAT CRUSADE AGAINST SATANISM
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This little mosaic features Russian defence minister Shoigu and russian President Putin on the interior of his 100 million dollar cathedral. It is worth noting for all his talk about fighting the satanic forces of the west, Putin is quite the faithful satanic Larper himself

The floor is made of melted down German tanks from WWII and I cannot stress enough just how grimdark and aesthetic the merging of gothic imagery with soviet dieselwave produces absolutely kino design. This shit looks more pagan and satanic than actual satanic temples. I would rate it highly if it was not, as before, a cynical blasphemy built on human sacrifice to Moloch and Mars

The church is intentionally designed to look like an assortment of missiles and artillery shells. JESUS LOVES ARTILLERY

In its own way this grandiloquent structure does a good job of accurately representing Putin's legacy. A Christian church that glorifies war, dictatorship and wealth. What a surefire way to counter western satanism

Replica Reichstag for the kiddies to overrun and capture. That is the nazi flag waving at the top. It's intended for members of Russian scout groups to storm the building, tear down the nazi flag and put up the soviet one. Fairly poetic having the Russians make fake nazis for their children to attack, got to keep some traditions alive somehow right?

It cost $100,000,000 to make this eldritch heresy. Once again, it'd be pretty cool if it wasn't made out of blood money and human sacrifice

The attempt to elevate Russian cabinet ministers to the levels of saints is like something out of Byzantine Imperial politics. Props to the Russian government for their sick roleplay skills

Members of the Russian military getting funky in funkytown. You can definitely tell this was high priority on Putin's anti-NATO preparations

Of course the cathedral venerates Stalin, who liquidated (killed) over 20,000,000 Christians and 100,000 clergymen. Truly the greatest saint of all

The usage of artillery shells as a theme everywhere really scores home the "we blew all our taxpayer money on a 40k fanfic so we no longer have funds to pay the families of dead conscripts." All in all, nice building. Just a shame it's a church for the blood god, as Russian people did not need another tribute to the skull throne

Section to the Crimean War (the one in the 19th century)
Another example of pretty ingenious design. It's cool for example that the top mosaic forms the St. George's cross but it is just weird to have a shrine dedicated to military victory in a church. Making a giant temple shaped like missiles and artillery, painted in military shades of green and tan, decorated with shells and flooring forged from the metals of your defeated enemies sounds like something a Roman Emperor would do when building a temple of Mars.

They left enough space to cast down two Japanese flags, five German banners, but not a single Italian flag
Italians mogged again

Imperial Russian troops fighting against the Swedish in the great northern war
Note on the right a Ukrainian flag
One of the claimed origins of the blue-yellow Ukrainian flag dates back to some Ukrainian cossacks allied with the Swedes. The allied cossacks fought under a blue-yellow banner, and the irony seems not to have been lost on the mosaic makers to make it seem like Ukraine has been an enemy of Russia for 300 years.

Also fun joke: When a nordic or anglo country says you are a brother nation it means happy things and fun sports and entertainment events in your future. When China or Russia says you are a brother nation you are in for dark times ahead. The reason for this is because the Russian and Chinese government are team killing fuckheads and so if they think you are on their team they naturally feel the urge to teamkill you

Mixing together orthodox religious imagery with communist imagery from the regime that tried to kill Christianity is a weird mood. But it perfectly represents Putin's Russia. A military church that does not commemorate all the non-Russians who died for Russia, nor even the Russians who died for Russia. It commemorates Russian power, Russian victories in Crimea and WWII. It erases Russia's defeats whilst glorifying conquest, it celebrates politicians and murderers whilst being the living embodiment of a cult of personality and a monument of sin

Because turning Russia into hell on earth is all part of the great plan to fight satanism don't worry

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: March 02, 2023, 10:55:56 am »

The church is intentionally designed to look like an assortment of missiles and artillery shells. JESUS LOVES ARTILLERY

To be fair, it is too round on top for Putin's liking ;)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: March 02, 2023, 11:20:20 am »

Behold the IRON THRONE! 100% Leopard tanks melted by HOLY PROMETHIUM. Joseph Vissarionovich, my sun and stars, I AM YOUR EMPRAH.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: March 02, 2023, 11:22:11 am »

The attempt to elevate Russian cabinet ministers to the levels of saints is like something out of Byzantine Imperial politics. Props to the Russian government for their sick roleplay skills

Gonna get pretty awkward when half the people in that mural get thrown off a rooftop.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2407 on: March 02, 2023, 11:53:19 am »

Gonna get pretty awkward when half the people in that mural get thrown off a rooftop.
It'd be Putin's fault for designing so many slippery window catapults, but on the bright side his cabinet would at least share one thing in common with martyrs

Behold the IRON THRONE! 100% Leopard tanks melted by HOLY PROMETHIUM. Joseph Vissarionovich, my sun and stars, I AM YOUR EMPRAH.
"Winter is coming,"

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: March 02, 2023, 12:55:39 pm »

Yes, it'll be expensive to paint over those folks, and paint in their successors.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: March 02, 2023, 01:53:58 pm »

I predict it'll be "closed for renovations" quite frequently as new defenestrations are unlocked.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: March 02, 2023, 02:08:20 pm »

BEHOLD PUTIN'S GLORIOUS CHURCH MAKE GREAT CRUSADE AGAINST SATANISM

What is this I don't even

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: March 02, 2023, 02:12:39 pm »

So, according to Russian media, a group of Ukrainian soldiers crossed the Russian and killed some civilians.

*Yawns*. They could invent something more plausible for the next wave of mobilization or whatever they want to do.

Curiously, only the "killed some civilians" part is a lie.

~50 members of the Russian volunteer corps (part of Ukrainian armed forces and also actual far-rights) did cross the border, did some stuff, and successfully retreated.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: March 02, 2023, 02:24:36 pm »

I have to admit the shape of that monstrosity is beautiful, but all those images of war and the "deliberately shaped like missiles" makes it nothing but terrible.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: March 02, 2023, 02:27:59 pm »

They're not shaped liked missiles. You see it that way because your mind is dirty. They're meant to be phallic.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: March 02, 2023, 02:36:00 pm »

Speaking strictly from a Western Satanist Atheist perspective that cathedral is amazing and one of the most warhammer 40k things I've ever seen. Hell, its more 40k then some stuff in 40k.

Is it 100 million dollar amazing? Well no.
Would I be pissed about it if I lived in Russia and it was wasting so much tax money? Yes.
Would I think it was possibly Orthodox Satanism and a monument to ritual slaughter if I was actually religious? Possibly. Hail Moloch
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 167