Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 69

Author Topic: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!  (Read 53355 times)

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!
« on: April 25, 2022, 09:21:22 pm »

twitter agreed to elon musk take over, now it will be a platform of "free speech" meaning racist stuff and bigotry and hatred, any speech.

I've used it for a while to keep up to date on china stuff, but now will look for other sources. Most bigger news companies don't focus on china sadly, and almost none do in general, I just liked reading what people IN china were talking about in terms of china/taiwan/covid stuff. But those days are gone. Twitter was getting too filled with fake stuff and misinformation (either on purpose or just spread unknowingly) anyway.

Any recommendations?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 02:52:37 pm by The_Explorer »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 10:49:05 pm »

Recommendations for what, twitter replacements? As far as I'm aware they're all basically twitter, but worse.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Nopal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 10:53:21 pm »

(bigoted remark removed - user banned)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 01:16:55 pm by Toady One »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 11:05:06 pm »

Barely used Twitter, but """freeze peach""" will ruin it like anything else online. Fuck """freeze peach""".
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 11:17:30 pm »

Yeah they're all kinda bad aren't they
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 03:03:45 am »

Why would you want to use twitter anyway?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 04:23:44 am »

I kinda don't see how Twitter could get any worse than it already is, even if the Lord Satan himself were to acquire it.
And Musk is just a minor demon.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2022, 04:42:20 am »

Lmao dude Twitter has always been a haven for terrorists, pedophiles and autocrats. Even the fucking Taliban and ISIS have more presence on twitter than Donald Trump. If Twitter thinks reporting on war crimes and human rights abuses is hate speech that violates TOS twitter can suck my dick. How the fuck are you supposed to show CCP violence in Hong Kong without showing violence? So much evidence of crimes againsts humanity has been erased without a trace because of those arseholes. A rich arsehole buying it out is just one master replacing another, different people will get fucked, but people will get fucked all the same.

On the bright side, at least the character limit might be reduced.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 05:32:05 am »

Elon Musk will do whatever he thinks will get Elon Musk the most money and power.

It's pretty unpredictable what that'll be.

I do think he's about to discover how damn near impossible content moderation is at scale.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 06:09:54 am »

While 44 billions of dollars could have contributed nicely on the road to end hunger , a billionaire decided it was more worth it to purchase what is an internet cesspool.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 06:12:43 am »

Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 06:54:34 am »

It'd be interesting to see what happens if I delete Twitter. I have the app on here (it came pre-installed, and I update it whenever I feel I should) but I have no account.

It makes it awkward on Chrome (links to Twitter info opens app, which I can't then use, unless I do explicitly as "Open in new tab[1]" to force a web-view page from which I then have to dismiss the "Get the app?" prompt. Firefox doesn't do the auto-into-app (for me, that's a bonus, yet I'm not sure if I had to make it not do it like that, at some point) but still has the bottom-banner of course.

So, perhaps one day I will delete Twitter, and it'll marginally (but not materially) improve things for me, with no known downsides. Assuming that it isn't hard-coded into here, somehow, which I wouldn't put it past my Android Distro's device-specific compiler to have done... ;)

[1] Except they're no longer tabs. First Chrome then Firefox moved away from Tabs, as 'improvements' to their UIs, but in my UX opinion it was a retrograde step in most ways. Sorry, feeling ranty, despite it being about two years, now, since the respective changes, by my reckoning.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 06:56:48 am by Starver »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 07:27:37 am »

Franckly I'm pretty good in an evironment where people harbour disgusting ideas in general, and the general attitude of trying to censor bigotry instead of confronting it is precisely what allows it to fester, in my humble assessment.

Problem with Elon Musk is not its self assessed "free speech fanaticism", it is is variable geometry. Musk is alright with the N-word, but he'll sack you if you criticise Tesla.

There is no good alternative if policed speech is what you want. Facebook maybe ? The other alternative go further in the unrestricted speech side of the spectrum.

Oh and : Elon Musk is a meme lord. It's a funny weed joke to him because 420 is a funny number, if I understand correctly. It wouldn't be the first time he wastes his fortune on idiotic ideas because his mental age is going through puberty. Dude propped up doge coin not so long ago.

Patrick Boyle made an explicative video on the topic.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 07:36:29 am by Cathar »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2022, 07:35:03 am »

If you don't censor bigotry, it just grows even more. No, we aren't censoring it hard enough.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2022, 08:27:35 am »

Never used it in the first place

Right?! What a loss... (-.-)

When I heard the character limit premisse I was like who the fuck needs that? It's not even like you can send in a tweet via phone message AFAIK. It's 100% plain stupid.
let
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 69