Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 69

Author Topic: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!  (Read 53290 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2022, 10:12:13 pm »

Never used it in the first place

Same here, from what I've heard facebook is where you post that you're about to poop and twitter is where you brag about it when you're done.

And Instagram is where you post a filtered picture of it.

And Discord is where you provide a play-by-play of the whole thing.
We get it Strik3r, you hate Discord.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2022, 01:26:46 pm »

Whether it works out or not, the deal alone just caused Tesla's stock to drop $114 billion.

Lol. He's so fucking rich even his losses are absurd numbers.
Dunno why.  Tesla's absurd over-valuation is largely based on Musk's Twitter persona as a memey techno-savior.  Him buying Twitter just makes their core business, lying, more secure.

Looks like Musk is buying it himself through a shell company rather than Tesla, and going into debt to do so.  Isn't it so cool that someone with a history of (alleged) stock manipulation can just borrow a few dozen billion dollars to better (allegedly) manipulate his stocks?  Certainly only such a visionary could change the world with billions and billions of credit.  One of his ideas has to work eventually, one of these days... right?  Maybe if he steals some better ones?

And of course his cult thinks this is a win for free speech.  Their "new public square" will be safe and secure under the direct ownership one man, their larcenous billionaire messiah.  What a stupid timeline.

Oh and I try to log into Twitter sometimes with my Google account, but it asks my DoB (in an obnoxious menu), my privacy settings, then just drops me on a white screen.  To try again I have to reenter everything.  I don't even want to tweet, it's just making me log in to *view* more than a page of tweets now.  What a joke of a platform.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 01:31:05 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2022, 01:44:38 pm »

If I use Chrome (on Android) it does suggest[1] I can start logging in with my device's GMail account (the whole Google Ecosystem thing) though I'm fairly certain I haven't ever let it do so. No such problem on Firefox (same device) where it just opens up on a new tab and I've never seen any practical restriction, except for the general issue of responsiveness when scrolling large conversations or clicking into increasing layers of conversational branching.

But this is how I worked out how to interact with it, in my peculiar little bit of the usage phase-space. Can't guarantee it's a universal answer for a whole swathe of refuseniks, including yourself.

[1] As I think I said before, if I do "open in new tab". If I don't do that, it opens up the App and makes it quite clear I can't progress without using/creating an account. So I try to remember to go for the 'tab' route.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2022, 07:13:25 pm »

Spoiler: Picture Related (click to show/hide)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2022, 04:50:34 am »

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that the deal is falling through, and Musk is simply going to pay a fine for breaking the agreement and back out of the deal.
Shocked. I thought the meme lord was 100% reliable in business deals.

Video by Patrick Boyle.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2022, 04:59:45 am »

I like the conclusion of the video!
"This is a dumpster fire of a deal"
...I like me a good dumpster fire.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2022, 05:02:42 am »

So we got all worked up over this for nothing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2022, 05:08:16 am »

So we got all worked up over this for nothing.
So you got all worked up over this for nothing.

I never really cared.  Twitter sucks, Elon sucks, who cares?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2022, 05:08:30 am »

Apparently it was (and still is, I guess) a publicity stunt. Like pretty much every time when it comes to someone riding the hype train in whatever they do.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2022, 05:12:24 am »

Apparently it was (and still is, I guess) a publicity stunt. Like pretty much every time when it comes to someone riding the hype train in whatever they do.

You mean, Elon & Twitter would engage in HYPE and stage a publicity stunt?
I am SO shocked.
(sarcasm, they're both basically the train companies that OWN the Hype Trains)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2022, 05:31:15 am »

Wouldn't be surprised if Elon arranged to short the Twitter stock to net most of (more than?) the Billion he stands to lose, because he has form on that.

OTOH, I also wouldn't bet against him just happily losing such small-change without batting an eyelid.

(What this all means for the users, past present and future, I don't know. I don't think it changes the immediate reasons for staying on/leaving/joining Twitter at all. There's really nothing directly comparible to switch to, in both mode and scale, but then Twitter wasn't a 'better version of <Foo>' for any particular <Foo> at the time of its creation or popular adoption, so we're unlikely to recognise the next level and/or paradigm of a Neo-Twitteresque platform until we suddenly realise half the world is using the whatever-it-is. But I bet I'll be a late-adopter/never-adopter myself, so don't look to me to find out what it might be: I never use loads of things, so that won't narrow it down much!)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2022, 05:44:41 am »

I think Ockham's razor dictate that Musk being a narcissist clown is a more likely explanation than whatever elaborate plan his boys may explain his behavior as.
As for betting for or against Musk : letting the actions of the PeNgu1N of d00M lol random xd decide the fate of your finance is probably a bad idea.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2022, 09:04:32 am »

The good ending. No """freeze peach""" shit is going to happen then.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 09:09:08 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2022, 09:19:28 am »

Man, I used to have great respect for Elon Musk, for his pioneering in space.

Even though his ambitions to colonize Mars leave me shaking my head. Building a rocket is one thing... but it only solves one problem. Mars is a hellscape that makes the South Pole look like a paradise. Drier than the Sahel desert, cold and dark as the poles, no air, the ground (all of it) is highly toxic, storms whipping up equally toxic fine dust for extra Fun, there's no protection against radiation from space and the low gravity might kill you in the long run as well.

Perfect place for an Embark, in short.  :P
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 09:26:27 am by Quarque »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2022, 09:39:04 am »

It's actually the best ending NG++. Musk realised he fucked up, but now he has a contract able to enforce the sale for 28 billions dollars he doesn't have on hand. Contract in which there's a clause in which he agrees to not disparage Twitter or its administration, so he may have fucked up additionally with his tweet.

I'm kind of excited to see how he'll try to crawl out of the hole he made for himself when he's down getting hit by all the rakes one after the other.

Maybe, indeed, he can uses his SpaceEx rockets but he'd need to go out of the solar system to escape the cringe.

(Though, Boyle seem to think Twitter will just let him off the hook because they are good boys. I'm having a good laugh out of it at least.)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 10:16:36 am by Cathar »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 69