Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 48

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 69881 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress (Succession Game)
« Reply #315 on: November 30, 2022, 12:48:26 pm »

So doing a little legends trawling to see whats happening. Firstly Tekkud Stardust/Pan Viperclan

Its interesting as he became a sage a few months before his death, one of the best Capybara scholars of his generation.

Lor Drinkbust our banished werebeast has been living peacefully despite his condition in Morningwilt. Which is seeing an influx of people moving to live there. As have the rest of our economically linked sites.

The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 30, 2022, 02:51:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

brilliant history this

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 30, 2022, 03:12:51 pm »

Oh, I missed the part where Tekkud became a sage. That's just like mere moments before the last Winter Festivites that Tekkud attended began.

Sort of feels like he accomplished what he wanted to and then he got to spend the remainder of his days with his friends and other close ones, having intellectual discussions with his apprentices.

Quite a soothing thought.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 30, 2022, 08:41:20 pm »

Part VIII:
A Price is Paid

25th of Limestone, 370

In early autumn the capybara man engineer Datan Futuretours and Edzul Boardtrampled got married. They had taken a liking of each other and had headed to the cabin in the hill to spend some time together. There they made the decision of making their relationship official.

The marriage brought the family of late Baroness Kasat and Cusal closer to Zultan's and Ilral's family.

Waterlures was a tight community where mostly everyone knew each other. Now many of them were related to each other, too.

6th of Sandstone, 370

And marriages can eventually lead to births, as was the case with Ònul who brought a girl into the Enchanted Dimensions. She and Deler now had two little ones.

Kib and Edu were a prime example of the results of marriage when they were blessed with one more child. Despite their old age, they had proven time and again to make their family grow.

They now had eleven children, making them theirs the largest family in the village.

And when Sandstone was on its latter half, Fikod joined the blessed ones, giving birth to her third daughter: Thîkut.

That made 'Zultan' a very happy grandfather.

Only a day later did Onol Seerlances, a scholar and new healer who had been taught by Yawo, give birth.

It was another year that saw the Rabbit in the Sky shine upon Waterlures with her gifts of life.

9th of Timber, 390

It was late autumn and the first snow was descending from the gray sky. Work had progressed well on the new temple to Ôsed and things were peaceful.

That peace was disrupted when snarling and shrieking was heard from outside the safety of the walls, near the South Gate. Ever vigilant, Edu Sandtick spear in one hand and an elf-made crutch in the other ran to investigate.

He was terrified of what he saw.

A monster resembling a kangaroo twisted into humanoid form was ravaging a giant echidna that had curled into a ball in an attempt to avoid harm. This far it had been successful.

And the echidna quite possibly saved Waterlures that day: for without it alerting the Fenced Princes to the presence of the werekangaroo, the monster could have barged in unnoticed until it was too late!

Edu braced himself, gripped his crutch tightly and ran to face the hideous being.

As the werekangaroo tried to shred the giant echidna with its teeth, Edu whacked and whacked it with his crutch. He didn't go for his spear, which was still strapped to his back, for he was afraid he would fall down without the crutch, making him easy prey for the beast.

The others were nowhere near. Edu was on his own for this fight.

But Edu was knocked over regardless after the werekangaroo shoved him down the slope and leapt on him.

Edu continued bashing and bashing it with his crutch only to be constantly knocked down as the beast charged him.

Edu's old body was beginning to tire.

Edu began to lose his focus as the werekangaroo lashed and gnashed at him, biting him in the hands and legs -- fortunately Edu's greaves and gauntlets protected him. And in that confusion the werebeast ripped Edu's helm off and began pummeling the crutch-wielding elderly capybara with it!

A punch hit Edu hard in the head: it twisted his neck and he felt a sharp pain in his upper spine.

Stunned, he did his best to fend off the creature of the night, desperately hoping for help to arrive soon.

But the others were still far away, running from the barracks down the quartzite road towards the South Gate.

Strength was failing Edu. He was too exhausted, his muscles sore: he fell to the ground.

He tried to stand up, but his legs would not carry him. He slumped back down as the creature lunged at him. The lashing fist hit him in the mouth, sending Edu's teeth flying off in an arc.

Again and again Edu fell to the ground, trying to repel the onslaught, only to get his right ear bashed into pulp with his helm. The force of the blow made Edu's head spin, but even worse, it was followed with a devastating kick into his mouth. The taste of iron was unbearable as blood filled his mouth.

'I... I must press on', was the only thought in Edu's brain as the pain began to become unbearable. He was terrified. Hopeless even. This might be it. This might be when the cold touch of Githu finally reached him and sucked the life out of his old, frail body.

But something -- some force -- drove Edu on, giving him strength.

Despite losing hold of his crutch after being pummelled by the beast and lying on the ground, he managed to roll away, and by a stroke of luck or divine blessing, the werekangaroo turned its attention to the giant echidna.

It bought more time for Edu.

Just as Unib and Cañar were closing in, Edu passed out from exhaustion, the beast still upon him.

The werekangaroo began bashing Edu in the head with the steel helm it was wielding.

With a sickening crack, the capybara man's skull gave in: Edu was struck down.

The others were too late.

Unib saw it all as he was running to help his comrade. Anger and rage coursed through his veins when he leapt at the werekangaroo, yelling with fury and letting loose a flurry of blows from his fists.

The tide turned against the werebeast when Cañar arrived bringing down his hammer with a vengeance. The werekangaroo fell down and was immediately battered by a multitude of fists and hammer blows.

The beast was kicked, punched, bitten, crushed as it lay on the ground fighting a losing battle. The monks grabbed hold of its limbs, the werekangaroo struggling in vain to break the grip, as Cañar bashed it with his hammer.

No mercy was to be shown to this foul being.

And indeed, even the calm Cañar showed exceptional brutality when he bit the beast in the head, lifted it from the ground shaking it until its head collapsed and blood sprayed on everyone nearby.

The creature was dead.

But the price was one paid with the life of an important member of the community: Edu Sandtick, spearmaster, elite wrestler, husband and father of eleven.

=====

So.... That happened.

That has got to be one of the most intense and scary fights I've witnessed in DF. I only noticed the werebeast due to an unexpected combat log. Paused the game to check it and noticed that it's full moon, so pretty much guessed what was going on. And indeed, a giant echidna (who has been for years curled up at the same spot) had attracted the attention of the werebeast.

So, I sent Edu to investigate as he was near the gate.

Only then I realized that he has only one functional hand, which was needed for the crutch. But by then the fight was on and I could only hope the others get there in time... And it was so close, too! Unib reached Edu just after his head was bashed in. Damn it.

I was speechless. It was oddly satisfactory to see the monks and Fenced Princes absolutely brutalize the werekangaroo to death (the monks literally pinned it to the ground while others bashed, punched and bit it to pulp).

I continued the game after that until winter was halfway through, but didn't take any notes (not much happened really, and didn't feel like the capies would be having a Winter Festival after Edu's death).

Temple to Ôsed is coming up surprisingly quick, but that's pretty much it on other stuff.

Oh, yeah, Edu's daughter Inod (I think that was her name?) took his father's position in the Fenced Princes. Let's hope she fares well in the squad.

But. I'll do some retire/unretire tests and see how badly they mess up the citizen/visitor situation. If it goes well or even ok-ish I'll be doing a Suwu adventure run. I feel like she wouldn't sit idly when her traveling companion was killed. I might take Cañar along.

I've got some ideas what I'll go for, but if any of you have suggestions of what to pursue in adventure mode, I'd like to hear them.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 01, 2022, 05:38:40 am »

Well that was pretty brutal, at least no one got bit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 01, 2022, 06:41:18 am »

But the price was one paid with the life of an important member of the community: Edu Sandtick, spearmaster, elite wrestler, husband and father of eleven.

damn! Poor Edu. . . wait, are all eleven present at Waterlures? That's a gigantic family.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 01, 2022, 09:53:07 am »

Edu's oldest child Lòr lives in Morningwilt. He's the one who was bit by a werebeast during Avolition's turn and had to be sent away. Good thing is that he's seemingly not gone on any rampages despite his curse.

Would've been even more tragic if the werebeast that attacked and killed Edu would've been Lòr.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 01, 2022, 12:03:22 pm »

Lor could be an interesting adventure. Perhaps seeking a chance to gain Osed forgiveness through helping locals.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 01, 2022, 12:18:40 pm »

Lor could be an interesting adventure. Perhaps seeking a chance to gain Osed forgiveness through helping locals.

I've been thinking that Morningwilt might by Suwu's first stop. Someone has to tell Lòr what happened to Edu. It could always be possible to then do unretire-anyone on him and take him along.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 01, 2022, 04:27:22 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=179245.msg8330115#msg8330115

that seems to contain relevant info, apparently you use GM-editor for the process. unsure how stable it is.

I would say... maybe Lor goes on a vision quest or something, to whatever god they worship, or seeking out some object of value. Make it a journey, a task, to remove the curse. Perhaps Lor sees the death of their father as a triggering event.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 01, 2022, 07:47:09 pm »

Part IX:
The Wall of Shields

16th of Obsidian, 370

Suwu had made up her mind.

It was night and she was paying her respects to Edu in the catacombs. Cañar was behind her, standing calm and as straight as he could in the cramped dirt tunnels. Ova the mandrill man was there too. They were prepared to venture forth from Waterlures, but where, was still a somewhat open question.

Things hadn't felt right for some time now for Suwu. She had been lonely for a long time. While happy for how things had turned out for her friends -- especially Edu -- she herself felt left out and as an outside observer. The same was with Cañar, which surprised Suwu after discussing with the elephant man in the Fruit of Letters.

Suwu had had many plans on where she would go, what she would do, during the last decade. She had wanted to find Baroness Kasat more unicorns, yet she never did and now it was too late. Well, the elves had eventually brought another unicorn, but it was after Kasat's death. Suwu had wished to head north to the elf lands of Múya Loré with Yawo, but the grumpy witch-doctor was dead now, too. And Cañar. Cañar had a mission. One that he wanted to strive for with Shebi the badger woman: to bring peace to these lands. But, alas, even Shebi had passed away.

Time was running out. She was old. Cañar was old. Things had been postponed for far too long.

But not anymore.

Plan or no plan, they had to go. They had to do something before their time was due.

“Rin, you coming along?”, Suwu said, knowing the goblin was nearby.

“Just a moment, will you! I'm trying to get this blasted mail fastened properly,” the goblin replied from the dark, “Stupid miserable piece of shoddy craftscapyship... 'Avo' would've never produce anything of this bad quality.”

The first stop of the four companions would be Morningwilt: Edu's eldest son Lòr was residing there after he was sent away from Waterlures. None had informed him of his father's death and it would only be proper for Suwu to be the one to tell the bad news.

They set up camp at the shores of the Lakes of Saturninity. The voyage proper would begin in the morning.

However their rest was interrupted when sounds were heard in the dark. Suwu drew her bow and had an arrow ready as she yelled, “Who goes there? Identify yourself!”

But the only answer was snarls as a group of cougar men and women charged from the snowy woods, heading for Erib, one of the war grizzlies the companions had with them.

Ova shot an arrow as Suwu replaced her bow with a short sword she had grabbed from the barracks.

A swift and decisive blow to the neck decapitated one of the cougar men.

Suwu did not stop there and whirled around missing one of the cougar men only to continue the graceful sword dance to the next one. It was a powerful blow from the keen short sword, cutting through flesh and bone like butter, cleaving the foe in half.

She then turned back to the one she had missed to see Rin hack off one of the enemy's hands, Cañar punch her leg into pulp and an arrow from Ova's bow strike her in the upper arm.

Suwu's blade swung and finished their work by severing the head.

“Hah! I laugh and spit in the face of death!”, Rin barked out, waving his sword triumphantly in the air as their foes lay in pieces on the snow, their blood coloring it crimson.

The battle was over.

The companions began to near Morningwilt when the sun was directly above them, yet the uniform, dark gray clouds covered much of the light as a heavy rain fell down. A thin mist enveloped the slopes forested thickly with bamboo and highwood.

Their journey had taken them through the Dune of Vising where a pack of rabid giant coyotes had attacked them. It was something that brought painful memories into the mind of Suwu. How she had been separated from Edu for a time, seeing her friends Esala, Id, Mame, Tuxum and Ceru fall. Though of Ceru's fate she was uncertain even to this day, but there was nary a hope the drunk capybara man would've survived the encounter -- and even if he had survived, surely old age would've taken him by now.

In any case, this time Suwu was prepared and experienced in fighting -- as were her companions. The coyotes proved to be no match for them, yet the coyotes did manage to kill one of the grizzlies, Ber, who they cunningly separated from the otherwise tightly packed group.

Soon they arrived at the forest retreat in the Perplexing Jungles.

“I've heard that it was the Sprayed Councils who reclaimed Morningwilt,” Ova the mandrill man said as they walked through the pristine forest searching for Lòr.

“Uh-huh. Well, I don't really know anything about it,” Suwu replied, continuing, “I really don't know much about the history of the elf lands... All I know comes from you and Yawo. And Fayoba, I guess.”

Suwu was awed by what she saw in the forest retreat: an incredibly gigantic ginkgo tree reaching into the skies with branches that had walkways and platforms. Not built, but grown with elven magic. Something she had thought was only the product of Yawo's wild imagination! Maybe the old monkey wasn't a compulsive liar, after all? Maybe even Yawo's 'angry spirits' were real?

They searched and searched for a long time for anyone in Morningwilt, but found none.

Just as they were about to give up, Suwu noticed a capybara man walk to them from between the dense bamboo: it was Lòr!

Suwu breathed deeply, sighed, and prepared to tell the news to Lòr.

Lòr was silent. He took the news in, rubbing his chin as he was deep in thought.

“I was afraid you did not come for a casual visit,” he said raising his gaze to meet Suwu's. “But father's death does not surprise me, nor am I overwhelmed by grief.”

“Look, it is alright to be sad. Or... Or not to be sad,” Suwu said, not really knowing what she should say in the moment. She wasn't used to this kind of things. She noticed that Lòr looked slightly confused, and continued, “Uh, I just... We just felt like it would be best to let you know. That's it.”

“I would very much like to visit my father's tomb,” Lòr said, “If such a thing is possible.”

Rin stepped up, rolling his eyes, “Of course it is possible, silly boy! Nobody needs to know you came along. We can go when nobody is watching.”

The others looked at the goblin.

“What? It's not like you lot don't have your own secrets,” he lashed out, crossing his arms in front of him. “Besides, it's quite some time before the next full moon. You'll easily make it there and back again before it.”

And so the companions, now numbering four, began to make their way back to Waterlures, traveling through the Perplexing Jungles once more. This time they went around the Dune of Vising, heading through the less savage Hill of Fells in hopes of avoiding more encounters with giant coyotes.

For they were unsure if they could keep Lòr safe if a pack of feral beasts attacked them.

It was hard to tell the time of the day when they reached the outskirts of Waterlures. It had to be close to nightfall.

They arrived from the north and headed south through the snow and mist, their breath visible in the cold winter air. They wrapped their cloaks tighter around themselves: Morningwilt was not far from Waterlures, but still the weather there was warmer and fairer -- possibly due to some elf magic of old.

Lòr looked at his fathers grave silently, head bowed down. But there were no tears, there was no sadness in him. He felt... Empty.

He turned to look at the rutile statue of his father surrounded by his friends: it depicted the moment when Edu had jokingly proclaimed himself 'Lord of Lonecanyons', the outpost he had built halfway between Waterlures and Inkedwhims. It reminded him very much of how his father, like him, treasured and loved leisure time. But he also remembered his father's words when he was coming of age, 'Son, I too wish we could spend all our time in leisure, but that is not how the world operates. Someone has to catch the fish. Someone has to clean the fish, and then someone has to cook it. Hard work is a necessary part of life, whether we like it or not.'

“Father was right,” Lòr said, his words not directed at anyone in particular. He turned around to face the others, looking at them one by one. He didn't like speaking to large groups, and well, during his time in Morningwilt four people were to be considered a large group. He shrugged off his shyness.

“I want to make this right. I may not be able to avenge father -- nor do I desire to,” he said and paused. How could he ask the others? What should he tell them? Would they believe that he had seen this in his dreams? He gathered his courage as he noticed the others expecting him to continue.

“I-I... I can not ask this from you... But I need your help,” he managed to blurt out.

Suwu looked confused. As did Ova and Cañar (Rin, however, wasn't paying attention).

“Mestthos spoke to me,” Lòr began, “I saw a dream, a vision: the curse of the gods spread and spread, like a plague. The crops withered, the earth -- the very lifeblood of Ôsed -- became barren, the trees bore rotten fruit. There was hunger, there was pain. Suffering. What little scraps were left, were fought over. War was everywhere. Death was all around us...”

“Sounds like the words of a prophet,” Suwu said, “I don't know what to make of all that. It's beyond my brain.”

“Please do continue, young one,” Cañar stepped in, “I would very much hear the rest of these troubling omens.”

And so Lòr continued to recount the dream where on one hand everything led to destruction, chaos and the End of All, but on the other, the dream offered a small spark of hope...

“...But there were those who through sacrifice and perseverance stood their ground, raised a wall of shields to fend off the waves of Darkness and the Night, keeping those behind them safe. And those who were safe had families and were merry. There was no curse, no pain, no death behind the shield-wall. There all was good... And even those who had fallen under the sway of the Night were made whole and good once they were under the protection of the guardians,” Lòr concluded describing his vision.

The others were silent, not knowing what to say. Lòr blushed and looked down.

“I... I believe this curse can be lifted,” he said in a hushed tone.

“Indeed. And you may have discovered a way... And I will help you,” Cañar spoke, walking next to the young capybara man and put his large hand on his shoulder. The elephant man looked back at the others, expecting them to say something.

Suwu and Ova nodded.

“Well... Guess we'll be going for a vision quest then,” Rin sighed, checked that his mail was fastened properly, before asking an important question:

“So... Where do we head first?”

=====

After a long time we're going adventuring!

Trying to find Lòr from the forest retreat (or anyone) proved to be quite difficult. Nobody in the tree houses and apparently the group who has "reclaimed" it is a bandit gang (can't remember if it's come up and I just forgot about it). So, I presumed they could be pretty much anywhere in Morningwilt, which is I believe a 16x16 map. Therefore, I retired the adventurers there and unretired them with Lòr among them (blessed be DFHack's 'time-skip-duration -ticks 0').

Much (or most) of the discussions are made up by me, but I tried to fit it into the lore of the world and personalities of the characters. Made that dream thing description on the fly and uh, yeah, that's what we're now going with (Lòr worships Mestthos the god of fortresses and Likot the god of jewels or sumthin').

Not much happenings there and could've continued longer, but thought that's a good spot to stop and see if you guys have ideas on where to go.

I'm currently thinking they'd first head south to the hillocks that are linked to Waterlures and do goody-good-good business to help out the locals.

I wasn't planning to take Ova along, but he was in Suwu's squad and appeared as a companion. Forgot that she was a militia captain. It's actually quite fun that he came along. Gives us a chance to possible find out some stuff mentioned previously behind spoilers.

So yeah, all ideas where to go from here are welcome (even silly ones!).

Spoiler: Also, WTF Legends?!? (click to show/hide)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 01, 2022, 10:03:32 pm »

haha hmmmm. maybe Waterlures isn't as peaceful as you make it out to be . .

nice trick to retrieve Lor without wasting precious lifeforce hunting him down in a 16x16. I spent an hour once looking for Stalkmatches, only finding it randomly after I had pretty much given up.

. . .what if Lor had to sacrifice something in a volcano's caldera? at that point we would just be re-writing LOTR with capybaras. . . not a bad thing at all lol . .  is there even an accessible volcano nearby?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 01, 2022, 10:16:21 pm »

Yeah, damn those blood-thirsty capybaras doing nasty, nasty business when I'm not around! (But we do have several citizens worshiping some awfully suspicious gods, so...)

There's actually two or three volcanoes at the borders of the southern tundra where the realm of the Hell of Miseries begins. I think Suwu and Edu visited them before the giant coyote attack, or maybe it was some others? Can't remember. So many characters and such a little brain I have!

But we'll see what direction this goes. I'm sure that if I have a grand plan the game will throw something unexpected in front of me and all of the plans get scrapped. Happened several times already with Waterlures, hah. Damn game refusing to do what I want!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 02, 2022, 05:41:36 am »

So did they impale him on a spike before they buried him or after?

Also dropping something a volcano sounds like a good quest to go on, maybe they could throw a necromancer slab into it or something similar?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 02, 2022, 10:22:11 am »

So did they impale him on a spike before they buried him or after?

It doesn't state that, but I'd presume it'd be before since afterwards his body was in the tomb? In any case, a curious thing that I just noticed by accident when checking a couple things from Edu's history. Wonder if it's somehow related to Edu starting from a bandit camp or if it's because of other stuff I/we have been messing with?

maybe they could throw a necromancer slab into it or something similar?

Haha, I was actually thinking of that being a possibility and checked the slab situation in the world before going to sleep. There was some...interesting stuff, especially the slab that gave the Unaging King his necromantic powers.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 48