Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 47

Author Topic: Wormwood Mafia - Game Over  (Read 32876 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Wormwood Mafia - Day One
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2023, 12:27:41 am »

Actually Jim why are you voting Tric still?? Do you think he's mafia or what?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2023, 12:28:51 am »

oh, wow, there are 7 pages to read here.
Anyway, I'm town and I will say more tomorrow.
Looking forward to changing my vote an hour before day end.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2023, 12:40:07 am »

Actually, given that it's game over if two town of the same type die... we could lose N1 if we mislynch. So as it's MYLO (more or less), is there a good rationale for no-launch?

Help me work through the scenarios here...
I don't think there is.

If we don't lynch then we can't lose before D2, but we can't get closer to winning either.

If some of us fire off our one-shots on N1 we could catch mafia...or mafia chooses not to kill and we get false positives as Roots and Stems out themselves thinking they stopped the kill. If mafia nokill then Flowers also can't get concrete results. If anything I feel like mafia are more likely not to kill if we no lynch to make us waste our one-shots.

Earlier Jim said he probably wasn't going to use his one-shot tonight when Jack asked everyone. That makes me feel good about Jim even if I can't think of why it would be alignment indicative.

When is it correct to use our one-shot? I don't think this question should be answered. Did Jim answer because he's being honest? Maybe.

Right now I feel like mafia are a1s and Jack after some back and forth in my mind.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2023, 01:04:45 am »

I just don't think it's Jack.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2023, 01:26:08 am »

I got distracted in the middle of typing up a post for this game twice today, both times by calling my parents.

Anyways, here's what I've been up to in Noita.

Thanks for reading my post. I'll see you guys tomorrow.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2023, 02:11:23 am »

Jim Groovester - Leanscum, too calm, called me leantown, I have posted three times and copied Toony.  Am I doing a recurring gag where I call Jim scum every game?  I need to ask Jim more questions to find this out?

dammitwebadictwhydoesithavetobeliterallyeverygame

@Jim:  Say we vote out Mafia and I then claimed to be the same role as the dead Mafia, what would your thought process be?

"Hm, is this the truth or some stupid gambit? If it is a gambit, does this make more sense for town webadict or scum webadict to do?"

Even if I do townread you from time to time I'd be stupid if I take anything you say at face value. Figuring you out is figuring out whether your deception makes more sense from a town or a scum perspective. In your question, there are very good reasons for both town and scum to claim the same role as the dead mafia, but it is far riskier for scum to fake claim in this setup. So I'd guess I'd probably believe you until other claims come out and there are four of the role you claimed, at which point I immediately assume the worst and vote you.

Hmm I like NQT's attitude towards Jack.

I do too.

I don't like this or the vote on Max. I think your justification here is a sudden turn from your previous stance and sounds phony to me.

I largely see your point but expressing opinions that contradict previous opinions is not out of the ordinary for EuchreJack.

@Webadict:
I also think Fluffe is probably town.

I do too.

I'm not convinced in a Jim vote.

Neither am I.

Actually Jim why are you voting Tric still?? Do you think he's mafia or what?

No, he's my strongest town read.

If you flip mafia, that will be a good indicator. If you flip town, that will be a good indicator. Indicator of what NQT?
I was using irony and understatement when I said that Jack flipping town would be a good indicator that he is town. I'm not sure what you are meaning by 'indicator' here. Rephrase your question if you want it answered.
Guess my TricMagic has revealed your false faith. Not even an attempt to answer? Just deflection.

If you flip mafia, it's a good indicator of who you are. If you flip town, it's a good indicator of who you are. Not that that matters, cause the indicated happens to be dead town.

This is incomprehensible. I have no idea what this says or doesn't say about notquitethere.

This is unmistakably town TricMagic.

Waves in Stem. Knowing I'm a stem doesn't really help, now that I think about it. I'm only suspicious if another died. And probably dead next night, so.. For all this, my suspison is NQT/Jack as the scumteam this time around. No lynch is a perfectly valid idea this early if you think you can get info. Relying on flowers is a valid method.

Does NQT/Jack make sense as a scum team? I don't think it does.

Frankly, No One there is simply not enough evidence for me to be confident enough to vote for literally anyone right now. If that aint satisfying enough and im literally forced at gunpoint then I say the guy currently forcing me to vote at gunpoint haha. I will say though I think voting for a1s right now is a bad idea if they are town then we are one step closer to losing and if they are mafia then well they are pretty much dead weight right now considering they aint been online at all for about two days. Of course, if they come back then that changes things but I have a feeling it's in our best interest to keep em around for now. (They will probably get auto yeeted by NJW if they stay inactive anyway)

You've already been taken to task by other players for this attitude so I'm not going to belabor it much more. But...,

If you are town you literally cannot win the game unless you vote and lynch mafia, and you can't lynch mafia without a majority vote. So, what's your plan to i) identify who the mafia players are, and ii) get enough players to agree with you to lynch them?

Voting to no lynch does not help you win the game whatsoever since you are not trying to lynch mafia, and no lynching also does not let you test any theories about who the mafia could be either.

oh, wow, there are 7 pages to read here.
Anyway, I'm town and I will say more tomorrow.

This is a very unsatisfying first post two days into Day 1. I'm tempted to even call it evasive.

When you do post it better blow my socks off.

Psssssssssssssssssh seven pages. That's nothing.

How about... a vote for Jim. A vote for Jim is a vote for... Jimming... Jim.

Jimmin deez nutz

I think my opinions are largely unchanged from my previous post. Leaning strong town on TricMagic. Leaning town on ToonyMan, webadict, and Fluffe9911. Going to move notquitethere to lean town as well.

a1s has a very disappointing first post. Maximum Spin feels quiet. I think I see where other players are coming from regarding EuchreJack but I can't really put a finger on what's dissatisfying about his play so I might be letting my town reads influence my opinion about him.

Let's vote EuchreJack and see what happens.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2023, 03:36:09 am »

Actually, given that it's game over if two town of the same type die... we could lose N1 if we mislynch. So as it's MYLO (more or less), is there a good rationale for no-launch?

Help me work through the scenarios here...
I don't think there is.

If we don't lynch then we can't lose before D2, but we can't get closer to winning either.

If some of us fire off our one-shots on N1 we could catch mafia...or mafia chooses not to kill and we get false positives as Roots and Stems out themselves thinking they stopped the kill. If mafia nokill then Flowers also can't get concrete results. If anything I feel like mafia are more likely not to kill if we no lynch to make us waste our one-shots.

Earlier Jim said he probably wasn't going to use his one-shot tonight when Jack asked everyone. That makes me feel good about Jim even if I can't think of why it would be alignment indicative.

When is it correct to use our one-shot? I don't think this question should be answered. Did Jim answer because he's being honest? Maybe.

Right now I feel like mafia are a1s and Jack after some back and forth in my mind.

Actually, if everyone fires off their one-shots on Night 1, Town roleblocks will likely cancel up to three one-shots, which will then be usable on Night 2.

Anyways, I'm done talking to Toonyman.  He's either doing his town "Jack is scum" or his scum "Jack is scum", and further engagement is unproductive.

Also:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm going to switch my vote to a1s

I just don't think it's Jack.
Yes, this might be part of why.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2023, 04:50:52 am »

You're making a mistake here. But whatever, with 3 votes to my name I was already dead. which is sad, because I'm Town.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2023, 05:08:51 am »

You're making a mistake here. But whatever, with 3 votes to my name I was already dead. which is sad, because I'm Town.
This kind of post just makes me want to vote you. Where's the fight? Where's the moxie? Are you going to perish like a dog? Three votes is nothing! I eat three votes for breakfast. Do something! You're not even voting. How you going to catch scum like that?

Web it looks like Mamobo didn't pick up my Jack vote. I even said "EuchreJack" so I'm not sure what its problem is.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2023, 05:29:31 am »

DOES THIS SPREAD CATCH SCUM?

Unofficial Vote Count
------------------------
-> a1s           --3-- ToonyMan*, webadict, EuchreJack
-> notquitethere --1-- TricMagic*,
-> EuchreJack    --2-- notquitethere, Jim Groovester
-> No One        --1-- Fluffe9911*
webadict         --0--
Fluffe9911       --0--
Jim Groovester   --0--
ToonyMan         --0--

Not Voting       --2-- a1s, MaximumSpin

Let's take a quick look at these votes:

notquitethere: Vote on Jack for reasons. Not earth shattering reasons, but the bar is very low in this game
ToonyMan*, webadict: Voting for the lurker. Boring but relatively legit. Not that impressive as a1s was absent the entire forum for the period of the game, so it wasn't like they were deliberately lurking
Jim Groovester: Vote on Jack to see what happens. Sure.
EuchreJack: Voting to save his skin. Null. Ish.
TricMagic: Incoherent vote on NQT. Must make sense in Tric-land.
Fluffe9911: Wants a no lynch. I can sort of see the rationale but this is incredibly passive and Not Good
a1s: Won't even vote to save their own save skin! This feels like newbie weak woe-is-me play. I don't like it though.
Max: Not voting. Max often doesn't vote at EOD, or puts a vote on a no hope wagon. While this can't exactly be called effective play, unfortunately it's a null tell for this guy

TricMagic, get real.

Web/Toony: Is there a good way to discern between town giving up and scum giving up? I've seen this situation play out loads of times with both alignments. Players just giving up. I feel like mafia are in such a strong position in this game that they have no reason to be so easily demoralised, but some players fold under pressure.

Fluffe9911, looks like the "no one" vote isn't going through. Who are you going to pick instead?

Max now remind me again, what is town's most powerful weapon?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2023, 06:06:53 am »

very well, I vote for EuchreJack.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2023, 06:13:02 am »

@Jack:
What's your point? Are you arguing that everyone should be using their one-shots on N1 because then we may have three non-block oneshots for N2? It's also important to remember that blocks can't stop other blocks.

@a1s:
Vote Jack and I'll switch, he has better things to do with his time anyway.

PPE:
Oh...well then. I'll Unvote and consider this a vote on Jack and see if he gets less snarky. I don't want to L-1 in case of accident hammer.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2023, 06:17:21 am »

Web/Toony: Is there a good way to discern between town giving up and scum giving up? I've seen this situation play out loads of times with both alignments. Players just giving up. I feel like mafia are in such a strong position in this game that they have no reason to be so easily demoralised, but some players fold under pressure.
I don't know. It's easier to tell if I've played with them before, but the general rule I go by is that a new player throwing in the towel is usually town.

Is a1s town? Maybe, I don't think they've really thrown in the towel though, but highlighting town in green is very convincing. What was their behavior like in other games?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2023, 08:22:24 am »

Is a1s town? Maybe, I don't think they've really thrown in the towel though, but highlighting town in green is very convincing.
It's basic psychology, my man. I try to associate the color green with town and a1s.

Admittedly I would do that even if I was Scum.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2023, 08:23:21 am »

I don't know. It's easier to tell if I've played with them before, but the general rule I go by is that a new player throwing in the towel is usually town.

Is a1s town? Maybe, I don't think they've really thrown in the towel though, but highlighting town in green is very convincing. What was their behavior like in other games?

In their only other game, they were mafia, so we have no frame of reference.

@Jack:
What's your point? Are you arguing that everyone should be using their one-shots on N1 because then we may have three non-block oneshots for N2? It's also important to remember that blocks can't stop other blocks.
That is my general theory, yes.
Although I'm starting to think that there is utility in exactly one roleblock and one protect not being used by town.
But scum have at least one roleblcck or protect, possibly both.
So probably any "save things for later" tactic is a losing tactic.
Why do you want town to lose, Toonyman?  ???

Could this be the legendary Toony/Web scumteam?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does voting me out as town help town win? I mean, if so, I don't particuarly mind going out.  But what are we NOT looking at?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 47