Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread - End  (Read 9518 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2023, 10:27:53 pm »

Right. Can we get a confirmation on if shrines do or don't function the turn they are made? I wasn't sure but I figured that you wouldn't be able to do labor in buildings your building that turn because of order of operations, but wasn't sure since the shrine doesn't seem to take labor and the consumption of luxury goods and changing of moral seems to happen after or between turns?

Also are you able to use irrigation on the same turn that you make it? Since it doesn't take resources to irrigate, maybe? But unsure and also Toaster did his turn assuming you can't I think.
Shrines do not function the turn they are made.
Most tile improvements do not function the turn they are made.

Sorry for the confusion. You're right that by Rules As Written, they should work when they can slot into the turn order. But that opens a confusing mess of edge cases where some buildings work immediately while others don't, and none of it follows common sense logic, so we'd have to work through and figure it out again repeatedly.

Granaries and Warehouses will work immediately. Resources shouldn't decay instantly, and the decay for unstored goods can reasonably wait until the end of the turn, after they're built, before it happen.
Palisades, Walls, and other such defenses will work immediately. Military battles take place in a special sub-turn after the main turn, which means the walls should be done enough to work.
The only other thing I can see in the current build lists that should do something immediately is the Explorer's Hall's ability to proc an exploration event. Eg, "The new master of the Explorer's Hall reports that he and his family immigrated to the city recently from a village upriver. They left because food was getting scarcer every year, you should look into that before they turn into bandits from necessity."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2023, 12:58:14 am »

Do walls and palisades stack?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2023, 02:06:46 am »

Do we get any resources for the tile our city is on? Tile 0?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2023, 08:24:39 am »

only if you build your palisade on top of your walls, because wooden palisades aren't strong enough to support all that stone.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2023, 08:29:03 am »

Shrines do not function the turn they are made.

F. I'll edit that out my turn. No bonus moral for me.

About governors, do they just give their bonus passively? Or do we need to "assign" them to giving their bonus? And when fishing for their "special ability" do we need to assign them to specific tasks and will that stop them from providing their base bonus on the turns that we do make such an assignment? Specific example: If I say that this turn my leader "oversees the construction of the shrine" will that be what I need to do if his special ability is unlocked by overseeing the construction of shrines? And will he still give the +1 moral bonus to my city this turn?

Edit: As I'm writing the flavor text for my turn I'm struck by the fact that "flowers" isn't really type of plant so much as part of most every plant. This is something I intellectually knew, but didn't really consider the implication when I made my civilization that I'd be playing a collection of plant genitalia.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 09:07:33 am by Criptfeind »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2023, 10:33:25 am »

Alright, turn edited so as to not benefit from irrigation immediately. And yet wind up with the exact same numbers in the end. :p

IE, changed the action order a little bit and then reassigned rock gathering grug to wood gathering, and built the shrine out of 2 wood rather than 1 wood 1 stone.

RIP stone gathering flavor text though.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2023, 01:08:18 pm »

No.

Do we get any resources for the tile our city is on? Tile 0?
No.

About governors, do they just give their bonus passively? Or do we need to "assign" them to giving their bonus? And when fishing for their "special ability" do we need to assign them to specific tasks and will that stop them from providing their base bonus on the turns that we do make such an assignment? Specific example: If I say that this turn my leader "oversees the construction of the shrine" will that be what I need to do if his special ability is unlocked by overseeing the construction of shrines? And will he still give the +1 moral bonus to my city this turn?
Governors are pure passives, no need to assign your governor to different places each turn.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2023, 01:09:55 pm »

Should I be assigning them to different places each turn to try to find their secret special ability?

Sorry if that's a dumb question :P, but I'm a little bit unclear and didn't want to accidentally potentially miss out.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 01:11:46 pm by Criptfeind »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2023, 01:20:16 pm »

No. If there's no cost to it, then there wouldn't be much point other than being an annoyance.
A governor specialty will be discovered from something you do or something that happens, like establishing your first trade route or having starving bandits attack.

A general question to the players. I haven't planned out leader specialties yet. Do you want me to write them down now, and stick to that, or create them later, when it's interesting to do so? IE, maybe a general does well in a forest battle and gets a specialty for them, a sage rolls well for magic research and becomes a wizard, or you suffer a bad famine and so the governor develops an anti-famine specialty?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2023, 02:09:15 pm »

Creating them later sounds more fun
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2023, 02:11:53 pm »

I think dynamically creating them at appropriate moments sounds like what I'd very slightly prefer. Seems like it might be easier to get them and maybe less work for us to try to work out how to get them.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2023, 02:21:47 pm »

First sounds theoretically more fair, but the second is more fun and story appropriate, so I prefer that.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2023, 02:32:38 pm »

Fun is more important than Fair, make ‘em as needed.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2023, 05:49:57 pm »

Oh right, I forgot I have a governor.

How does the flat morale boost from a governor interact with the diminishing returns of luxury morale boosts?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2023, 06:20:58 pm »

How does the "population soft cap" that the town hall mentions work?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19