Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Author Topic: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread - End  (Read 9521 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2023, 09:07:36 pm »

It's still alive. My first try at the map was a demoralizing failure, but the turn is mostly done now.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2023, 09:09:50 pm »

Alright. This game is a high-calorie food, so feel free to take some time.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2023, 09:37:55 pm »

Fair enough, making an entire map for a game like this seems like an enormous undertaking, so totally understandable if it's taking a bit.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 02, 2023, 09:56:18 pm »

I think half the issue is making a *coherent* map, where rivers lead from A to B to C and you don't have deserts directly bordering a single tile of ocean bordering a line of forest bordering etc just to fit players in a reasonable space.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2023, 07:51:00 am »

The Calamity is an okay excuse for some terrain to not make sense. And then over time its influence can wear off and the normal climate can cause problems for us. :p

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2023, 02:03:12 pm »

If only there were some way to trigger a second calamity to return things to normal...
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2023, 02:30:58 pm »

Science Grug Man recommend punching the ground really really really hard.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2023, 03:00:56 pm »

Science Grug Man recommend punching the ground really really really hard.

That is basically how farming works, you are already doing that
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2023, 04:02:29 pm »

If only there were some way to trigger a second calamity to return things to normal...

Truly the Bay12 way.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2023, 04:23:03 pm »

I think half the issue is making a *coherent* map, where rivers lead from A to B to C and you don't have deserts directly bordering a single tile of ocean bordering a line of forest bordering etc just to fit players in a reasonable space.
Most of it is that I have bad time management skills and this game isn't my top priority. I'd hoped it would be easy to get out one turn a week out anyway. Hopefully it will go more smoothly once it all gets started.
I'm happy to see that there's still enthusiasm for it to get properly started.

The Calamity is an okay excuse for some terrain to not make sense. And then over time its influence can wear off and the normal climate can cause problems for us. :p
Well now you're making me feel like I made it too normal and should take another week to re-map it again to look like a proper post-apocalypse. [/joke]
I like how the map came out. It's a bit tricky, but hopefully in a way you'll find fun once you figure it out.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2023, 06:55:53 pm »

When does excess population have it's labor added to the bonus pool? I guess I assumed it'd be the same time as normal population adds it's labor to the normal pool, but that doesn't appear to be the case :P. Is it before population growth but after the turn then?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2023, 07:35:29 pm »

When does excess population have it's labor added to the bonus pool? I guess I assumed it'd be the same time as normal population adds it's labor to the normal pool, but that doesn't appear to be the case :P. Is it before population growth but after the turn then?
Originally, yes.
But you're right. Not only does new population growth to 11,000 immediately add a new labor unit, but changing it will simplify the process to avoid mistakes.

I'll change it. You have 11 labor for the turn.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2023, 08:10:51 pm »

Ironically not a good thing for me probably since I'm still at a fairly low efficiency per labor point in the game, I might have been better off keeping my mouth shut and cashing in the bonus population next turn :P. But I think I do like it this way overall more.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 04, 2023, 09:07:57 am »

How does the bonus productivity from moral work exactly? Might come up next turn. Both in general but also a few specific questions I had (assuming I have a right general idea of how it works, no guarantee :P) Does it mean I can produce 1/10th of resources, and can they be carried forward into future turns? For people that turn one resource into another do they need higher inputs? Like if a clothier makes 1.1 clothing does that cost 1 or 1.1 wool? Does it effect income from non labor sources, like shrines? If I can make .1 resources can I use .5 food as a luxury for 1000 population?

Or maybe I'm just thinking about it wrong and it works in some totally other way.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 09:13:15 am by Criptfeind »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2023, 11:47:15 am »

How does the bonus productivity from moral work exactly? Might come up next turn. Both in general but also a few specific questions I had (assuming I have a right general idea of how it works, no guarantee :P) Does it mean I can produce 1/10th of resources, and can they be carried forward into future turns? For people that turn one resource into another do they need higher inputs? Like if a clothier makes 1.1 clothing does that cost 1 or 1.1 wool? Does it effect income from non labor sources, like shrines? If I can make .1 resources can I use .5 food as a luxury for 1000 population?

Or maybe I'm just thinking about it wrong and it works in some totally other way.
That gives us problems like potentially having x.9 stone and then a morale event bonus disappears, leaving you sitting on an unusable extra stone, in addition to that added crafter complexity.
The way it works: I have a section of the turn where I have usable labor separate from food and luxuries needed. Having a 10% production boost will cause every 10k pop to give an extra usable labor, with no increase to food and luxury costs.
I think I want to keep it simple and always round down, such that 19k pop with +10% will always give only 1 extra labor.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19