Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Challenge: Imported Wealth  (Read 1504 times)

Clamity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Challenge: Imported Wealth
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:26:50 pm »

Hey, I've been lurking around here for awhile, and have been blown away by the amazingness that is Dwarf Fortress. That being said, one thing has always bothered me, the imported wealth figure. In my newest fort, I'm going to attempt to get that value down to zero...I'm not even sure how hard this will be, or if its even possible. I know better than to try in the startup period of the fort, but after a year and a half or so, I hope to be able to stop importing everything besides raw materials, and go about destroying or forbidding any imported goods.

Sharing this idea here was finally my breaking point for finally registering here, I was(am) honestly afraid of what happens when the game sucks more time out of my day, but I figured I was already spending plenty of time here lurking.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, despite playing for awhile, this game still gets the better of me more often than not, and sorry for the lame first post. :p

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge: Imported Wealth
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 07:49:53 pm »

The big problem you're going to run into is imported clothing. You get a bunch with every batch of migrants, you can't destroy it directly, and it never decays away to nothing on its own.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 07:57:02 pm »

I'm not sure that you can lower the figure... i think it's total of all things you have imported.

Welcome the Dwarf Fortress!!!!

Don't feel stupid about any posts unless they are offensive. If it's a bad topic, it will fall down the list sooner or later.

Check out the Artifacts Sketched topic. It's really good.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 09:20:02 pm »

You can lower the number in a few ways:

* Destroy the imported item
* Use the imported item to make something (e.g. turn imported wood into a barrel)
* Forbid the item

Now, that last would actually work to get your imported wealth down to zero, but it's kinda silly. I'm actually curious if you can decorate owned items; if so, set up a massive glass industry and decorate every damned item in your fortress with glass. Use glass because it's infinite and items can only be decorated with a given gem type once, so that forces the decorator to track down new items to decorate. I don't think there are any items that can be claimed by dwarves but can't be decorated.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 10:07:45 pm »

Actually the clothing your dwarves arrive with can be destroyed.  The only way to do it is to never make them new clothing, forcing them to wear the existing clothes until they fall off.

I am actually playing at such a challenge for myself, and have the imported figure down to 20K.  I don't think forbidding an item actually changes the count on the wealth screen, as I just ran through replacing all the picks and axes that may dwarves had with new masterpieces.  I had to melt the old one before the imported wealth number changed.

Most of the remaing imported wealth I have is in the clothes worn by my dwarves that I am still waiting to rot.  My first 7 are all nudists by the ninth year, but those that immigrated later still have significant amounts of clothing.  You should figure a minimum of 9 years after your last immigration for that number to drop.  You would still have to make sure you don't lose any dwarves so that new immigrants don't arrive with fresh sets of clothes.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 11:12:32 pm »

Give them a fixed temp and douse them in lava.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 11:41:10 pm »

Or remove clothing entries from dwarven civilization.  Or have them make clothes out of a material that turns to steam when it comes into non-freezing temperatures (WARNING: May cause death by boiling/freezing).  Or set their temperature tags high enough to make their clothes burn away (WARNING:  May cause !!fun!! throughout the fortress).

There are any number of ways of dealing with clothing.  Some are more convoluted, absurd, dangerous and/or ridiculous than others.

awdball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 11:38:44 am »

My isolationist fort is down to zero. The last thing I had to remake was my original anvil, that 1,000 dwarfbucks imported item haunted me for almost two years before I found it, made a new one then melted down the old one.

All the goblin gear counts as imported too and forbidding it causes it to drop off the imported wealth count. One thing I've noticed is that it doesn't matter how stealthy the kobolds or goblins are, as soon as they enter the map they add to my imported wealth target. it makes for an interesting "early" warning if you happen to watch it all the time.

The atom smasher bridge over the garbage dump helped a lot to eliminate the starting barrels and the like. Getting the barrels and bags empty of the seeds was tedious and re-cycling the imported seeds into home grown ones took a while because no amount of forbidding seemed to stop the dwarves from picking up the closest seeds instead of the ones I wanted them to use.

(Yes I got a bit OCD on this task.)

AWDBall
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 11:41:56 am by awdball »