Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals)  (Read 56750 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals, Need Players)
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2008, 10:31:40 pm »

Bwahahaha. The swarm will conquer all. Even the rock creatures will succumb to our power, as our unlimited horns find and attack the weak spot for massive damage.

They have a weak spot, right? Their eyes or something.

Also, those pigs scare me. They will be the first to suffer when we conquer the world. I'm thinking I'll model the chibor's society after bees. Bees are sweet.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2008, 10:38:30 pm »

Thanks, adjusted the detritivore bit to start with.

As for the other abilities... yeah, they sound cooler than they are.  Being able to copy an event at 50% experience rate isn't actually as useful as, say, real language.  It's absurdly slow, which is why I'll have to evolve a proper language in the long term.  Imagine how long it takes to actually insert a screw in a board compared to just saying: "he screwed it in place" and letting your mind fill in the blanks.  Halve that time, it's still much longer than a five word sentence.  IE is absurdly inefficient, its only benefit is clarity of information, which is itself screwed by the weak senses of the organism; temperature sense only at direct contact level, no ability to discern light, shapes are rough at best, determined by electromagnetic field interference.  Colourblind.  No ability to perceive sound.  No sense of taste or physical touch.

Ditto for emotive suggestion.  Literally, this is just 'blank emotion', and higher organisms can probably ignore it relatively easily.  It's focused at putting out an effect of 'this doesn't look nice' and little else right now.  I imagine that, say, the Lanlar could probably overcome the 'aversion' emotive force and eat my poor little fungi with impunity due to their relatively strong minds.  This is more in the region of encouraging your local insects, grubs and cute furry mammals not to bother nibbling.

When I say these are just mats of slightly complex infected fungus, I mean it.  I spent waaay too much EP (35 if you include the 5 I arbitrarily put into 'asexual') on breeding, so I don't know how useful that will be.

Edit:  Also, adjusted the map to include Lanlar new position, if I've guesstimated that correctly.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 10:45:17 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Draigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2008, 11:02:51 pm »

Draigh - You'll get E-23/25 with some mountain and forest.  That cool?  Your hawks are good for now, but you too, remember the ability scale - one point in a bunch of abilities ain't going nowhere.

Rough power is 10 points
Farsensing is starting to develop well now, 5 points
The others are just hints of potential at the moment. Would only work lightly when the Lanlar is putting in a lot of rough effort (think life/death situations)
Besides... didnt abilities in the last game already have an effect with less than 10 points?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2008, 11:15:37 pm »

Besides... didnt abilities in the last game already have an effect with less than 10 points?

Maybe, but I'm in charge now...

Really, I'll add an ability score to any situation it would effect (your own description of how you want to deal with an event affects this the most), but 1 point is pretty much pointless on a d100.  Mostly its the descriptions that bug me.  Flavor text out of proportion with the actual point value makes me worry that players will dispute the results of a turn because they have a more powerful concept in mind than what the points reflect.  I'm a pretty lenient GM though once things get rolling, so don't worry too much.

Bwahahaha. The swarm will conquer all. Even the rock creatures will succumb to our power, as our unlimited horns find and attack the weak spot for massive damage.

They have a weak spot, right? Their eyes or something.
"What weak spot?  It's a rock!"
Anyone else see Galaxy Quest?  No?  Didn't think so.

BIG HUGE EDIT: Okay, I put up all the species posted, with my anal formatting.  OpenOffice really doesn't like copying from the forum.  Crap on a crutch, my eyes hurt.

Anywho, everyone review your mons and post any concerns.  I'll get to gods in bit, since there's only three-ish so far.  I have to think that post is getting close to the forum character limit - anyone know what it is?  Or how to get rid of those "click to show/hide" things?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:19:21 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals)
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2008, 02:25:47 am »

I'd be interested in being a god in the forums, seeing as I'm already one in real life.  :D

I'd make good god material: I've been known to act sporatically, have my own agenda, possess a touch of megolomania, and all those other things useful in a forum god but not anywhere else.  ;D

I was thinking of using my forum name as it's actually based on a powerful being from Sonic comics, from the absolute beginning of the Knuckles comics (issues 1-3), and I plan on playing my god in a similar way.

As for religious spheres, I'll take Technology and Lightning, and will usually influence the civilizations via these means.

For those species which desire my favor, I'll let them decide how they communicate with me (like oracles, or priests, or mass meditation, or other ways), and sometimes use those methods to respond or help.

Example: One species communicates via an oracle that they're being killed off by stronger neighbors.  So, I might give the oracle a fey mood, send the oracle off to create a weapon previously unknown, and announce that the civilization know possesses knowledge of creating said weapon, complements of me.

As a god, I encourage growth mainly by technology as opposed to biological evolution, magic, or perfection of natural abilities.  Of course, some biological growth is important to gain a better understanding of technology, and I won't be turning away any true believers.  If I was to be the god of one of the Master of Orion civilizations, I would chose Meklars, Psions, and Humans, in that order.

Of course, everything I say is dependent on what the REAL boss says.  I hope I can be of use to the pawns, errr species.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2008, 02:29:30 am »

Damn.  Tried adding Shikogan's species as is, and found out the character limit is 40000.  Which is less that I need for this.  That's a problem.

I'm going to have to pare down descriptions and such, probably sticking in links to original posts instead of the full texts.  This might take a while.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sir Edmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2008, 03:04:43 am »

Im really sorry Aq but my time schedule just changed. Going back to Uni, it looks like im not going to have enough time to post reliably so could u please just ignore my previous post.

darn it :P.

edit: actually, may i try to be reliable?, my post may not be too descriptive but i really would love to play, my pigs gonna eat ya, or atleast use your sinew for tieing party baloons to your sodamised corpse.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 03:37:04 am by Sir Edmund »
EE
E@E
EEE

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2008, 04:09:36 am »

Just Redid my race to what you said E.P is right hexes are good(i think) and abilities are in the E.P list
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics; even if you win you're still retarded.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2008, 07:08:09 am »

Shikogan, your hexes aren't contiguous.  I think they need to be all connected.  Well, for the start that is.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:47:00 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2008, 08:01:19 am »

Pah. The Jhiar'd will conquer all... after we start eating you that is. Yum yum, tasty piggies and a dressing of Plantwe... hee hee :D

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2008, 08:09:23 am »

Huh, the southern colony...

I dunno. I figured they would die out in the next few turns seeing their food density. But if they could continue to live in a nearby land hex with a very low start population, it could be good. Heck, I would suggest them having different evolutions if not for how much trouble that would cause.

Something along the lines of Protoss/Dark Templar would be cool, but that would make the situation needlessly complex. Just a colony there that I may or may not control.

The Death Age 10 thing reminded me of Soul Blazer, the gnomes in Soul Mountain who only lived a year. Because they lived every day to it's fullest they lived very happy, yet short, lives. Kinda cool. Indeed, this will be perfect for my electric zerglings!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 08:11:15 am by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2008, 08:11:20 am »

I think I'm going to make pig killing mandatory for Nevon's worshippers. Preferably executed with lava.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 08:12:53 am by Asheron »

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2008, 08:23:45 am »

Wow, so many psionic species... And a fungal one which seem to already implement idea of unity... :>

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2008, 08:31:41 am »

ROAST PORK FOR THE VOLCANO GOD!

*Nevon spends 1PP.  His chosen prophet receives divine inspiration.*

*The Jhiar'd gain 2 ranks in Ham Curing.*
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 08:48:03 am by Iituem »

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2008, 08:49:56 am »

My question: do we have to spend PPs when trying to gain new worshippers?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26