Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28

Author Topic: Chasing the elusive Mermaid  (Read 463504 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing the elusive Mermaid
« Reply #165 on: September 03, 2009, 10:56:54 pm »

Your missing a part. Its even MORE annoying. Not only does she die. Not only does she turn into sea foam. But her sacrifice gains her immortality and a chance to someday earn her way into the Kingdom of God, in an annoyingly preachy-religious fashion.

Actually, the ending depressed me. She gets a chance to get in, but she has to wander the earth for, like, 300 years or something. Every time she sees a smiling child she shaves a year off. Every time she sees an unhappy child, she has to add the total number of tears that fell to the total number of years she has to wander the earth as a half-ghost.

Fairy tales are depressing.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 03, 2009, 10:58:44 pm »

Why?!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 03, 2009, 11:12:30 pm »

According to the story, mermaids don't have souls. But she earned the chance to get one because she gave up her life for the Prince.

Bittersweet ending.

Anyway, the merpeople in DF are most likely greenish and scaly...
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 03, 2009, 11:15:57 pm »

That still doesn't explain why she's punished so harshly for something that was a truly and wholesomely good act, or what happy and sad children have to do with anything, but hey, whatever, that's just depressing fairytale logic.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 03, 2009, 11:17:32 pm »

Well, she's obviously a retard. If I were cursed in that manner I would go to parks and sweet shops and be in heaven before the big man in the sky could blink.

Also, I'm going to ignore the logical fallacies in the story...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 03, 2009, 11:19:02 pm »

The worst part is that it wasn't a punishment. That was her reward.

Their concept of rewards is incredible

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #171 on: September 03, 2009, 11:20:31 pm »

That still doesn't explain why she's punished so harshly for something that was a truly and wholesomely good act, or what happy and sad children have to do with anything, but hey, whatever, that's just depressing fairytale logic.
That's fairy tales for you. God hates the main character.

At least if it were in DF, she'd be having fun; Armok style.

Mogul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 04, 2009, 12:15:29 am »

That's fairy tales for you. God hates the main character.

At least if it were in DF, she'd be having fun mermaid tallow roast; Armok style.

Fixed that for you.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 04, 2009, 12:34:35 am »

Not punished; rewarded. She gets a chance to get a soul, unlike all the other Mermaids who are doomed to a soulless eternity.

They took souls seriously those days.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2009, 12:38:21 am »

Is god just an asshole to the merpeople for no reason? Why make her do all that to get one, when normal humans don't have to work for them at all? Especially when she already made the ultimate sacrifice?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2009, 12:40:11 am »

She actually makes the journey with a bunch of other half-souls who also have to wander the earth. It's not a specific punishment/reward for her, but rather it's the generic trial to get into the Kingdom for all who are in her situation.

Also: the other mermaids have 300 years to live, then they're annihilated and turn into ocean foam. Yikes.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2009, 12:41:41 am »

I suppose that makes sense?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2009, 12:44:33 am »

Actually, it's a hell of a lot better than being butchered for your bones and skin. ;D

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 04, 2009, 12:50:22 am »

I'm suddenly reminded of the Nickelodeon original movie about a boy that turns into a merman...

It's supposed to be an analogue for puberty, but I don't buy that everyone around him doesn't want to turn his bones into valuable trinkets.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 04, 2009, 02:59:36 am »

I doubt they would admit their desire.

Sure, all DF players have had that moment when they notice someone, or their pet, and think how much bones, meat and fat they would produce. Or if they would look good on an artifact buckler.

That aside.

I know chasing merpeople has it's merits, but what about sea serpents and sea monsters? How deep do those things appear, and how much insanity must I muster to capture at least one.

Trapping a sea monster and placing it in a tomb to guard the entrance(bridge over water) would be... entertaining.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28