Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28

Author Topic: Chasing the elusive Mermaid  (Read 463514 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing the elusive Mermaid
« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2009, 02:39:04 am »

The water will of course taste like dead eagles.

What kind of dwarf are you, drinking water?

Dead eagle water is a good thing!

Dead eagle beer is better.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 14, 2009, 10:26:20 am »

The water will of course taste like dead eagles.

What kind of dwarf are you, drinking water?

Dead eagle water is a good thing!

Dead eagle beer is better.
In a dubble-layered awesomemantine mug, with magma in between the two layers, anyone that survives a drink from that beast is promoted to champion status.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

h45hc0d3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2009, 02:50:57 am »

Alright, I'm pretty sure I have to get in on this one. I think I've got a plan that involves more pumps than the others, but will end up letting me work on more levels of the ocean at once.

Four questions, before I embark into an ocean biome:

1. If I dump magma into ocean, does it become obsidian on the floor or the surface?
2. If I drop fully-formed obsidian tiles into the ocean, such as are formed by mixing magma and water, will they settle on the bottom as per the cavein method of stopping aquifers, thereby allowing me to place columns of obsidian with impunity all over the map?
3. If I mod dwarves to be faster so I can post responses to this thread sooner (including my soon-to-come experiments involving terrariums, aquariums, cage traps, chains, and pressure plates) is it cheating? I mean, it'd be purely for research purposes.
4. Why haven't more designs involved pressure plates to regulate fluid level? One pressure plate activates when water is more than 4 tiles deep; it drains the column using water wheels built over basically the entire ocean, or as much of it as I feel like industrializing at a time. Then, a simple lever opens floodgates to let water stream in in a wide column. Cage traps built at the bottom, using glass terrariums pre-filled with water, which ought to prevent drowning unless caging prevents drowning anyways.

I think that plan would require more labor but less cpu struggling than building an inland lake of any decent size. Any other thoughts?

Oh, and for additional dwarfiness: Kill the elves, enslave the goblins (as live archery targets, at max range from your marksdwarves, with fortifications a plenty so there's enough misses that they last), cage the kobolds (nobles like zoos, and levers, and I hear cages with occupants can be attached to levers), lie to the humans, breed the merpeople, and wear armor made from each species' specific bones when they come a'calling.

Human liaisons can go crazy, and I have no idea how losing a liaison affects your relations with the humans; but, if they send a new one and there's not a gender preference, crazy people can still get pregnant, right? Or is it like dwarves, where they require marriage/live-in arrangements? And, can crazy diplomats be caught in cages like crazy dwarves?

Basically, is it remotely possible to breed humans, too?

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2009, 08:12:41 am »

Basically, is it remotely possible to breed humans, too?

Civ creatures only breed in worldgen.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2009, 08:32:49 am »

If you doing it for research, then research is the primary objective, not some idea of avoiding cheating. So the point is moot.

Note that there is a project going in in the Adventure mode sub-forum to build a great land of wondrous ruins for adventurers to explore, and it is common for dwarves to be modded into invincible golems for the purposes of creating the dungeons.

Besides, there are many people here who would not call that cheating, only altering the game's difficulty;
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 26, 2009, 08:39:03 am »

Invincible Golems with a Raw Speed of 1, if I'm not mistaken, making them essentially a race of deities.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 26, 2009, 08:52:10 am »

Besides, there are many people here who would not call that cheating, only altering the game's difficulty;

In order to 'cheat' you really need to violate the rules of the game. I don't recall there being a rule stating you can't mod Dorfs into stubby supergods, so it's not cheating, it's just changing the game.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 26, 2009, 09:22:17 am »

1 the magma becomes obsidian as soon at it touches water and then caves down to the bottom
2 yes
4 I don't know
The great game of Warlocks!

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 26, 2009, 09:53:57 am »

Invincible Golems with a Raw Speed of 1, if I'm not mistaken, making them essentially a race of deities.
Actually, invincible non-breathing golems bigger than bronze colossi with a raw speed of 0 which makes them two times as fast as 1.
Yeah, some people breached the HFS and instead of letting the dwarves getting killed, they abandoned because the peasant dwarves would have won.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 09:55:44 am by MC Dirty »

goron72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 25, 2009, 09:09:32 pm »

I don't think the idea of a merperson farm is so terrible. I basically butcher all my animal babies for my meat supply anyways. Why are merpeople so much worse, you won't even eat them!

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 25, 2009, 09:26:40 pm »

A way to accomplish the seperation of the babies from the adult merpeople could be a very long series of chambers and you just keep cycling the merpeople through them until you get one chamber with just the children/non-breeding merpeople then pump the water out of it. I don't know if this had been mentioned before because I haven't been on the forums for quite some time. If so I will feel a bit like a dick but if not, I will feel like I contributed another seemingly strange idea to the DF community.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Angellus

« Reply #221 on: November 08, 2009, 08:06:42 am »

Posting here, minor necro, but I want to read this thread later on :)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 08, 2009, 08:10:23 am »

There's this new feature in web browsers called "favourites." I also hear there's something CNTRL+D does but that's waaay above my skill level.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Angellus

« Reply #223 on: November 08, 2009, 08:13:28 am »

There's this new feature in web browsers called "favourites." I also hear there's something CNTRL+D does but that's waaay above my skill level.
I don't have DF in my favorites, it's in my head.
Also, I tend to not use my favorites :) DF is anon-browsed.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 08, 2009, 10:56:16 am »

You could have at least pretended you had something to add. ::)
Akur Akir Akam!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28