Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Baldur's Gate  (Read 11532 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Baldur's Gate
« on: March 29, 2008, 12:36:00 am »

For those of you who know it, you can't forget it.  For those of you who don't know it, it takes too long to explain.  Suffice to say that it is one of the best later-generation Dungeons and Dragons that I've played, and even though I've played it an innumerable number of times, I've barely even seen half of what it has to offer.

This thread is about all the games that are like Baldur's Gate, but I'll start it off with Baldur's Gate 2:SoA.  I've played it several times with several different characters, actually made it to the end twice (CHEATER!), and I still haven't seen much of what the world has to offer.

I recently thought about what it would be like to get together a group of forumites to play BG.  Make a character, fail a few rolls, forget that you can turn the undead (happened to me once), and just have fun all-round.  

No game masters who will slap you for not speaking in character, no random idgits wandering around and making life confusing (well, except for that one guy...), just a few guys from the forums getting together and adventuring around with a bit o' the old DnD-style mayhem.

I can't play it on this machine, but I've got both the original Baldur's gate and Shadows of Amn.  I've also got Neverwinter Nights, but that game didn't really impress me as much.  If you wanted something fun, you had to make it yourself.  Besides, it just doesn't have the right atmosphere for this kind of thing.

So, anyone interested?  Perhaps you've got a suggestion for a better game where we could dungeon romp?  Any comments at all?  What brand of dental floss do you use?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Baldur's Gate
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 02:31:00 pm »

I could get my old BG2 from somewhere in the depths of my desk (Probably next to Black and white).

[ March 29, 2008: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »

Black & White was coolsauce, that was way back when Peter Molyneux delivered.
Shoes...

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »

I've been playing BG2:SoA every now and then with a friend of mine. We got it to work a few times, but mysterious problems just keep popping up and stopping us from playing. It might just be his computer though, who knows? If you have Hamachi we could try set up a game.

I've yet to win once...

Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 02:45:00 am »

Heh heh, I've got Black and White sitting around here as well, along with the Creature Isle expansion pack.  Hands up, how many people think the creatures in the old Black and White looked better than the ones in the new Black and White?

And what kind of problems were keeping you from playing BG2?  I've never played it with other people before, so I don't know what might pop up.  Also, I don't even know what Hamachi is, let alone have it.  All I know is that it sounds like a Japanese cartoon or something.

Any ideas as to what characters you'd be interested in playing?  I found out the hard way that having someone with the ability to turn undead is utterly priceless.  I might go with a paladin or a cleric or a bard or something.  I'll take a "backup" character that helps out and strengthens the other guys, but I don't actually know that much about the game so I don't know what would be a really good choice.  

It'll either be a support character or a shaman/witch (totem druid).

Also, typing without the index finger of your right hand is harder than it might seem at first.  Damn hard touchpad...

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 03:15:00 pm »

I think it would be awesome to either get a multiplayer or a turn-based, play-by-thread game going.  Count me in - I have the whole BG series.  I usually play a Human Swashbuckler and I prefer to use the one-handed sword skill (with no shield).

Have you guys used 'TuTu' before?  You need both BG1 and BG2, but it basically takes the interface and other cool features (like better multiplayer) from BG2 and puts it into BG1.  It's a much better experience playing it that way than the original way (plus the original probably won't run in XP and Vista anyway).

Here's the link to easyTutu: http://usoutpost31.com/easytutu/

EDIT:

I forgot to mention Baldur's Gate BGT.  It is very similar to Tutu.  The difference is that it combines BG1 and BG2 into a seamless experience (You essentially have one game instead of two).  At the end of BG1, a new scripted event takes place to bridge the two games together.  

Check it out here:
http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=54

I've played both Tutu and BGT and they are both fantastic.  I like BGT better as a single-player game since I don't have to do any file switching, but Tutu maybe better to use for multiplayer games for it's portability.

[ March 30, 2008: Message edited by: lumin ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »

Well, I've got BG1 and BG2 (no expansion packs to either).  I must say that some of the characters looked cooler in the first one, and others looked better in the second one.

Ah, yes...  The ultra-mega-beefcake fighters and scantily-clad women of BG1...  A true DnD experience.

And if you made a female fighter, you got a scantily-clad-ultra-mega-beefcake.  Always good for a laugh.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 11:11:00 pm »

quote:
Well, I've got BG1 and BG2 (no expansion packs to either). I must say that some of the characters looked cooler in the first one, and others looked better in the second one.

I agree, and they have a mod for that one too!  It replaces the paperdolls in BG2 with the higher quality ones from BG1 (actually they come out looking even better than the originals).  

Here's some screenshots of the new ones: http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=24005

-and here's the mod download: http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=81

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 11:18:00 pm »

I'd have to relocate them,  But I have
BG 1 and TOSC  BG 2 and Throne of Bhaal.

I like em, but I get my arse handed to me too quickly.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 11:23:00 pm »

Might want to take a character that stays out of the main action then...  Perhaps a thief or a ranger or something?  That way you could duck for cover in the event of bad luck, just find a nice quiet corner and hide.  Otherwise, back us up with some bowfire.

Hmm...  Marksdwarf?

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 11:34:00 pm »

I'd end up going Gnome, if only to spit on 4th Ed's removal of them as a player race.

Also, if we're gonna play BG 2 (and ToB) I can be ready very soon, BG 1 and ToSC (I think the "Original Saga" pack held BG 1 and ToSC) Might take a bit, as I can only find disc 3 from the OS pack.

[ March 31, 2008: Message edited by: Kaelem Gaen ]

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 11:41:00 pm »

I'm a fan of Monks, myself. Once I install the game, ill check out the races and the like. (I haven't memorized DnD classes, so sue me.)
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 11:53:00 pm »

Like I said, I won't be able to play on this machine.  It'll be quite some time before I can actually join in the festivities, so this thread was just made to get the idea rolling and for folks to plan out their characters.

And only humans can become monks, if you were wondering.

Heh heh...  Nothin' quite like spraying a kobold to bits by giving it a good, solid kick...  That's the problem with 3D games, critters never gib like they do in the 2D games...

Also, I'd like to mention that I never completed the first Baldur's Gate.  It would crash every time I went into this one area I had to go into, which made the game unplayable.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 11:53:00 pm »

I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS!  (Found all three discs for the Original Saga box)

Hmm, this could be a problem, I think two of the Area maps couldn't be uncompressed into my  "FULL INSTALL" for BS OrgSag

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 12:36:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>And only humans can become monks, if you were wondering.

Heh heh...  Nothin' quite like spraying a kobold to bits by giving it a good, solid kick...  That's the problem with 3D games, critters never gib like they do in the 2D games...</STRONG>

My DnD memory isn't perfect, but don't monks get a bonus from being blind? Such as fighting better or something like that?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12