Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Elven equipment  (Read 12902 times)

Re: Elven equipment
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2008, 08:08:26 pm »

There isn't a lot of information on Bone armor that I can find... all they did was pretty much say "Bone armor exists" but presented no further information...

This is the problem I'm running into now, but here is something relevant I found amongst the riff raff:

The use of horn in protective armor was pretty widespread, horn is good, dense material, has an excellent weight-to-strength ratio, and was easy to come by. The horn was usually cut into strips and sewn into heavy garments (like the Jack or the Jazerant), or onto them (like the Brigandine).
Bone on the other hand is not good armor material, although it has great density. The thick pieces are just to heavy and cumbersome, and the thin pieces to brittle. It may look great in fantasy art, or a computer game, but it has limited potential.
Having said as much, I will immediately proceed to give an example of bone armor that really worked. In Iceland, where I come from, there is a referance in one of the old Sagas, about an outlaw who made what is called �valnastakkur� or �pebbleshirt�, the pebbles being the phalange from a sheep�s foot. The phalange is a digit actually, located just above the hoof, and it�s a very dense piece, roughly the size of a 9v battery. Holes were drilled in these pieces of bone and they were strung together with rawhide strips to make a vest, bone-mail you might call it. I�ve seen a recreation of this thing, it goes down to the mid-thigh and is heavy as hell, but you can move about freely in it, and it would probably stop a medium range arrow.
I have no information whether bone-mail was used to any degree in Scandinavia, or anywhere else for that matter, but I thought it added a nice touch.

So basically, horn good bone bad, with some exceptions.  This is pretty Europe-centric, though - I imagine relatively resource-starved cultures improvised such things despite the drawbacks and dubious effectiveness.  Which, really, is what you're doing when you make bone armor in DF anyway.  I find it odd that so many sources list bone as an armor material without any further explanation though.
ow did this get here

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2008, 08:15:20 pm »

Other uses of Bone armor is basically fear tactics to strike fear into your enemy.

The Japanese (or more specifically Samurai) are infamous, among REAL historians and not Japanphiles, for using the most inefficiant ordaments and armors for fear tactics... though this most likely developed because they couldn't afford real armor most of the time. In fact their armor was specifically developed for fear tactics.

So as we can see, not all armor is made to be effective as armor
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 08:24:16 pm by Neonivek »

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2008, 08:25:49 pm »

Not a whole lot of useful stuff to craft out of bones or shell once armor and bolts are removed. I suppose a bone skull cap is better than a leather one

Then again, it's a crafting profession, it's not like it needs utility

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2008, 08:43:11 pm »

Not to mention being a fantasy setting it is more then reasonable to think of these fantasy creatures having efficiantly strong bones (a Pheonix), scales, or shells

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2008, 09:05:48 pm »

Cow bones, very high fantasy  :P

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2008, 09:40:41 pm »

I can imagine elvs being able to weave various threads/leaves; maybe some bone or wood while they're at, and calling it armor.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2008, 11:17:43 pm »

Elves will purchase metal and metal items from you so why don't they ever use any of it for armor or weaponry?
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2008, 11:20:28 pm »

Elves will purchase metal and metal items from you so why don't they ever use any of it for armor or weaponry?

[Stout]
[Small]

Not to mention they don't buy coal or use picks. Or use any magma safe materials, so magma smelters are out of the question.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2008, 08:42:28 am »

Not to mention being a fantasy setting it is more then reasonable to think of these fantasy creatures having efficiantly strong bones (a Pheonix), scales, or shells

Exactly my thoughts, just wanted to post something similar.

Cow bones, very high fantasy  :P

What are you talking about?  ;D
Dragon bones, troll bones, demon bones...do I have to list more?  ;)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2008, 09:26:01 am »

Turtle shell breastplates. 

Ah, yes. They're very good in general but for some unexplained reason highly vulnerable to being jumped on.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2008, 10:32:58 am »

On the subject of wooden weapons, I believe fire-hardening the tips makes them a good deal more effective.  Good for a spear, not so good for a sword, hopeless for an axe.  Probably.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2008, 11:00:18 am »

On the subject of wooden weapons, I believe fire-hardening the tips makes them a good deal more effective.  Good for a spear, not so good for a sword, hopeless for an axe.  Probably.

It would definitely suffice for a bolt, arrow or thin spear.  When I was a kid I whittled pointy sticks that were sharp enough to cause a nasty abdominal wound, even before I charred the tips.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2008, 11:20:09 am »

Turtle shell breastplates. 

Ah, yes. They're very good in general but for some unexplained reason highly vulnerable to being jumped on.

Dammit.  I didn't need another total conversion mod to plan out.

AARGH It's writing itself in my head already!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2008, 11:47:17 am »

What are you talking about?  ;D
Dragon bones, troll bones, demon bones...do I have to list more?  ;)

Pssh, you're making bone armor, worst you've faced so far is an ornery kitten

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2008, 11:51:12 am »

Other uses of Bone armor is basically fear tactics to strike fear into your enemy.

The Japanese (or more specifically Samurai) are infamous, among REAL historians and not Japanphiles, for using the most inefficiant ordaments and armors for fear tactics... though this most likely developed because they couldn't afford real armor most of the time. In fact their armor was specifically developed for fear tactics.

So as we can see, not all armor is made to be effective as armor

Hoo boy, don't get me started on Japanophiles. Had the misfortune of getting into a "Katanas are teh awesome" debate, to which I go "actually there are weapons that were probably deadlier in melee. The falx and rhompania were exceptionally deadly curved weapons, their efficiency forcing the Romans to upgrade the armor specifically for them..."
"But Rome never conquered Japan..."

Think of the idiocy of that statement...I would have said "But that's because cavalry archery counters melee infantry as the Romans learned at Carrhae" but you can't argue with these types of people.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6