Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 164

Author Topic: Blockedlance - No More Stops Until Ragnarok!  (Read 419753 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Blockedlance - An Heir is Born!
« Reply #2190 on: December 21, 2010, 02:15:53 pm »

I wonder if there might be an "accidental" tantrum spiral that just "happens" to slaughter the dissenters because of this...

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: December 22, 2010, 12:51:41 pm »

well he did have a big family that can throw some tantrums right?
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: December 23, 2010, 08:24:12 pm »

The bottom layers of the fortress are twisty mazes right? Maybe Eagle could dig down into them, causing rumors of a mad ghost dwarf wandering the depths of the fortress?

Wonder how a fort-dwarf would react upon seeing Eagle...

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: December 31, 2010, 12:04:13 pm »

oh, hi eagle i havent seen you in ....... wait a minute 25 years
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: December 31, 2010, 01:56:25 pm »

Hey, Gimp, after finally succeeding in getting Urist to procreate, do you have any thoughts on the dynamics of dwarven relationships?  What do you think was the deciding factor in her finally hooking up?

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #2195 on: January 07, 2011, 12:13:22 am »

well he did have a big family that can throw some tantrums right?

Oh yeah, his family would tantrum.  In fact it invariably tantrums in all my testing of the fun.  It ruins the fort because they make up more than half the population.  You know me, I wouldnt mind offing the whole lot of my dwarves....but I also want some dwarves for when Ragnarok comes.  It would be a pity if the world ended without there being plenty of corpses and gore.

Im torn on the issue....but Im sure many will die either way, no matter how the dispute between Urist and the Khamerites turns out.

oh, hi eagle i havent seen you in ....... wait a minute 25 years

Really?  Has it been that long?  I could have sworn Ive at least mentioned him in passing here and there.

Heres a brief update on Eagle - Ive been making his life more interesting by having him become as skilled as he can in as many crafts as he can.  It takes longer than I thought though, because there really isnt enough time in a dwarfs day.  Plus, there arent a lot of reources readily available to Eagle, he has to make everything from scratch in his tiny little cave.  But hes been making progress.  Ill try to work in an update for him.

Wonder how a fort-dwarf would react upon seeing Eagle...

I think theyd say something like, "Who is this naked mud covered savage who can barely remember how to speak dwarvish anymore???!!!"

But then theyd realize that they themselves are naked and covered in mud, and are so drunk that they can hardly speak dwarvish either.

Hey, Gimp, after finally succeeding in getting Urist to procreate, do you have any thoughts on the dynamics of dwarven relationships?  What do you think was the deciding factor in her finally hooking up?

Good question, but Im not really sure.  They have a couple personality quirks that were similar, but they also have some differences.  Other dwarves have common traits with Urist too.  So I dont really know.  I think generational differences played a role though.  The Duke was born in the fort, but the High Priest migrated in here in the first or second wave, and so was probably much closer to Urist's age.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 01:49:59 am by MrGimp »
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #2196 on: January 07, 2011, 02:40:22 am »

Urist sat squirreled away in her palace as usual.  However, whereas she once secluded herself in her palace simply to enjoy pompous luxury and avoid interaction with peasants, she now hid in fear.  It was a fear all mortals faced.  She feared her own mortality.  Kurk Quorcanes death had shaken her.  She had remembered the seemingly youthful exuberance when he came to this fortress as a spry dwarf of only 100 someodd years.  He was her first love, and now he was dead and buried...dead as all dwarves would one day be.  Dead, as Urist herself would one day be.  What did it matter if it was at the hands of a Khamerite or old age?  One day someone else would sit on her adamantine throne, wearing her Imperial crown and merrily sipping sunshine from her priceless blue mug.  One day someone else would farm the dwarven cattle for Armok.  One day someone else would be the Chosen One....the center of some other tale that was not hers.

She continued to plot her defense against the Khamerites, but deep down she knew her days were numbered.  Sure, Armok had promised to raise her to Godhood for her service....but promises are not as valuable as actions, especially when these are the promises of a God like Armok.  She could see in the mirror.  She was not blind.  The wrinkles on her face ran deep.  Her hair was long gray, and now turning white.  Armok had not felt compelled to preserve her youth and vigor.  It was getting harder and harder to walk her aging body downstairs to party at the adamantine statue.  With a barrel or two of booze in her, she could still feel young again....but the next morning her body would remind her she was not. 

She had wanted to ask Armok for some kind of assurance of her immortality....but how does one stand face to face with the God of Blood and ask for something of such magnitude?  She had already asked him several times lately if she could kill Khamero and his sons, only to be told that the Khamerites fertility was too precious a source of life essence for Armok to give up breeding and feeding upon.  If the energy derived from a single lineage of dwarves was too much for Armok to give up, how could he possibly expend the energy required to bring Urist to Godhood?  Urist was grateful of the power and luxury Armok's influence provided her, but she was a realist to the bone.  She knew Armok could not keep the promise he had made, for she herself would never keep such a promise either.

She had thought deeply, and decided that she should prepare for her death.  If Armok would grant her an afterlife, then nothing would need to be done.  But if Armok were simply using her, as he used all beings that were not Armok, then surely it would be wise to ready her and her dynasty for the day that will come.  At night, while the Khamerites partied the twilight hours away, the Empress headed down into the earth.  Deep beneath the surface, at the end of a long and elaborate maze of mining tunnels and secret rooms, Urist began digging her own grave.

Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #2197 on: January 07, 2011, 08:28:57 am »

That's so melancholy and...creepy and so...so dwarfy. :D
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: January 09, 2011, 06:15:07 am »

Gimp , you Troll , you gave us a Sadistic Queen Urist , Then you Suddenly Make her look less of  "I AM GOING TO FUCKING KILL EVERYONE" and more of "oh my god i am going to die"

Seriously? what the hell Were you thinking when you decided to make Queen Urist Look innocent?(Or is there some other part containing massive Masscare that i missed?)

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #2199 on: January 09, 2011, 12:36:58 pm »

::)

Characters are not always one dimensional. 

Akigagak, Im sorry I let this guy's dude kill your dude.  It was all because I had some stupid 'non-interventionist' policy.  'Let DF roll the dice' was my motto.  If I could take it back, I would.     :-[ 

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 02:31:53 pm by MrGimp »

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #2200 on: January 11, 2011, 05:35:16 am »

Spring 283

Things continued on in a tense stand off.  The Imperial family and their Kurkish allies stood distrustful of their Khamerite foes.  However, life had seemed to carry on these past few years even though Urist had been giving birth to several heirs.  Perhaps the Khamerites would not make a bid for power afterall? 

In the beginning of the year, Urist gave birth to another Prince, and named him 'Steel' in honor of Armok's title 'Ber Steelearthen'. 

Her dwarves would need to be made of steel if they were to fight against such numbers as those that were arrayed against them.  Crown Prince Lucifer was coming along nicely as well.  He was old enough now for Urist to try and teach him how to torture animals.  He took to his lessons very quickly, and practiced every day.  Urist wanted to be sure that the future Emperor was strong of heart.

Yes, some dwarves just did not have the heart to wield power, and that was how Urist hoped to win against the other clans.  Why....these other dwarves were simply inferior specimens to the seed of Urist.  Take Leesin for instance.  He couldnt even keep control of himself, and got himself possessed by the forces of darkness that live below Blockedlance.

Of course....the forces of darkness did not possess him to make anything worthwhile.

And then, almost like clockwork, his brother goes all fey on us as well!  He was jealous I guess.  He didnt want his brother hogging all the arts and crafts spotlight I suppose.

But....he got it in his head that he just HAD to have shell.  And that was his undoing. 

Urist hoped that she could keep her children strong, and keep them humble to the desires of shell.  It was a sick dwarven fetish that had claimed far too many lives. 

Before the year was out, Urist had given birth again.  This time, she named the child Princess Yoigen.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #2201 on: January 11, 2011, 05:45:45 am »

The recurring fatal insanity helps bring a sense of normality back to the fortress that lulls the Empress into a false sense of security.  Late in the year, while sitting in her palace with her husband and nursing the infant Princess Yoigen, five Khamerite assassins broke through the front door of the Imperial bedchambers!!!

There was bloodlust in their eyes, and Urist could tell from the big flashing red exclamation marks that they were berserk!

To be continued...

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: January 11, 2011, 05:50:23 am »

Those poor, poor Khamerites...
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: January 11, 2011, 08:39:37 am »

Hey, could I have a character, either somebody even mildly significant or someone with potential for plot.

Soviet Travolta

• Bay Watcher
  • [SMOKEY_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
    • Illustrator Porfolio
« Reply #2204 on: January 11, 2011, 04:53:09 pm »

Oh my, a cliffhanger!
Still following your fantastic tale, Mr Gimp!
Since September 09 I realise? Gosh...
I propose a truly dorfy solution: toady should implement a special helmet that (mostly) protects against fall damage, so that the toughest dwarves of the fortress can take the 10-z level jump down, pick and axe in hand, and construct stairs back up to the upper levels.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 164