Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1599772 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #11160 on: October 07, 2013, 01:35:40 pm »

Well, I started Dungeon Crawl back up after quite the hiatus, and gave a LOBe a try, since I havent tried any of the new races. Down to ~vaults right now, nothing unexpected for a be.

Lava orcs themselves... eh. I don't think I'd suggest it for a be over a plain old hill orc; the immolation is very helpful early game, but only when you get into situations that smart play makes fairly rare. It's still useful, of course. However, getting rc- and the inability to use scrolls when/after berserking is a big pain in the ass. Other than that, they play pretty much identically to an orc with some rf+.

edit: died on orb run, tele threw me into the one part of zot that I hadn't cleared.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 03:01:52 pm by Rex_Nex »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11161 on: October 08, 2013, 01:14:55 am »

I too have begun playing after a long time away and I must say my last game was a guh. It seemed like every level had at least 1 unique. I probably could have managed to keep going but I probably wasn't very patient after the hour or so of running from uniques, that and low on escape options and such. Luckily I was recording so my second video I will be putting up will show my pain to the world (first video will be a mediocre HOBe with an axe).
   Oh and I think the axe ability to cleave will teach people bad habits. I started playing again as I tend to do with a melee fighter, in this case HOBe, and saw the cleave thing so I chose axe. The rage and the cleave basically had me running into heaps of enemies.
   Finally a question. Why did they nerf early game summoning so hard? Not only is the numbers limited, especially the mammal being limited to only summoning one at a time along with the cap, but they don't follow you. I love playing KoSu but I don't think it will be quite as viable as I would like.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11162 on: October 08, 2013, 04:49:04 am »

I think it's because everyone hates summoning too much to bother coming up with a genuine fix to infinite spam.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11163 on: October 08, 2013, 04:50:31 am »

But infinite spam is the POINT.

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11164 on: October 08, 2013, 05:04:03 am »

.13 tournament announced, sign me up for a team!

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11165 on: October 08, 2013, 06:59:29 am »

Just getting back into this; does wearing armour affect your magic casting ability at all?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11166 on: October 08, 2013, 08:00:42 am »

Just getting back into this; does wearing armour affect your magic casting ability at all?

Quite severely, though I believe having lvl 27 in armour reduces the penalty to 1/3.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #11167 on: October 08, 2013, 08:11:29 am »

Yeah, heavier armour causes a penalty. In late game with lots of experience and preemptively pour stat points into Int you could overcome this, but in early game wearing armour beyond leather on a mage...doesn't work out.

----

Speaking of mages, I keep getting splattered whenever I give a mage type a shot. The only mages I've played that have gotten past temple were a naga venomancer and a necro, but only the necro made it to Lair before being swarmed by blink frogs. I don't even reach DL:5 most of the time. At the moment I'm trying a gargoyle Earth Elem. since Earth sounds fun with petrify, LRD and shatter and I haven't played gargoyles 'til now. Only problem is getting strong enough to actually learn those spells. I keep dying to ogres or phantoms or even one really persistent orc who kept dodging my spells.

One thing that throws me off is skill training. With melee you just pour all points into weapon skills at the start and you're good. With a mage I find I have to juggle spellcasting and one or two spellschools if I want to learn all the spells in my book in a decent amount of time. Plus, Earth mages can miss with sandblast or stone arrow, which can completely screw me over, and their crowd control is lackluster.

How can I get an earth mage to Temple and beyond?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11168 on: October 08, 2013, 08:29:58 am »

Yes. If you're going to go for an arnoured caster, take Che as your god.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11169 on: October 08, 2013, 09:52:00 am »

Oh and I think the axe ability to cleave will teach people bad habits. I started playing again as I tend to do with a melee fighter, in this case HOBe, and saw the cleave thing so I chose axe. The rage and the cleave basically had me running into heaps of enemies.
worst thing about axes is how inferior they make all the other weapon types look

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11170 on: October 08, 2013, 09:54:33 am »

No, don't pick Chei.  Chei blocks the spell you really want and also cripples your character.  Usually wearing armour just means spending a bit more XP on spell schools, although it can lock you out of high level spells.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11171 on: October 08, 2013, 11:53:09 am »

Huh, tournament coming? I guess I picked the right time to start playing again. Is there going to be a thread for it and if so when someone makes it make sure to link it here.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11172 on: October 08, 2013, 12:04:29 pm »

Best spellcaster is a conjurer.
That battlesphere will carry you quite a ways.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11173 on: October 08, 2013, 03:13:10 pm »

For anyone that is interested below is a link to my video where I have way to many uniques along with the character in a spoiler. If you do watch the video and have any tips you can post them either here or in the comments and they would be much appreciated. Also a straight question as well. I was a orc and had a +2 +4 orcish trident with my skill so I had min delay but I also had a +0 halberd on me. Was it the right choice to stay with the trident and would it have been correct to switch to the halberd once I had the skill to have it at min delay or should I have stayed with the trident until I found a better weapon. I also had a couple scrolls of enchant weapon 1 which I did not use as I didn't know, would it have been better to just use them on the orc trident to make it +4 all around or would the +2 from it have been enough to make switching to the halberd a good idea.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and the video is here

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11174 on: October 08, 2013, 04:33:24 pm »

I keep dying to ogres

You shouldn't. Most races are at least as fast as an ogre so you should be able to keep your distance. Seriously, ogres can one-shot MiBes, not to mention a puny spellcaster. As an EE, just avoid all ogres until you have stone arrow castable. Or use some consumable that can nail that ogre for you. Killing an early ogre should rush your xp nicely if you can pull it off.

How can I get an earth mage to Temple and beyond?

When I was rolling KoEEs by the bucketload, I felt three things were important in getting to Lair:
1)Get stone arrow online ASAP, it's your bread & butter until you get a beefier conjuration
2)Do your best to avoid anything that can splat you before you get stone arrow
3)Get lucky with finding stones, they power your sandblast until you get stone arrow

Skillwise I would level up spellcasting, conjurations and earth magic. I stopped spellcasting when I had enough MP to cast 3 or 4-ish stone arrows. Keep training conjurations and earth magic until stone arrow is at an acceptable fail rate.
After that? Spellcasting is always useful, maybe earth, conjurations or transmut depending on which spells you plan to learn/cast next.

And yeah, lair-ish EEs are fun once you get petrify and LRD up.
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 990