Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3559777 times)

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12570 on: February 15, 2010, 06:02:19 am »

Actually, you could just leave out the vital organs.

IIRC, Toady said that, if an organism lacks certain organs in its raws, it is assumed that they do not need them.

Examples: Fire Man, Magma Man, etc.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12571 on: February 15, 2010, 07:31:50 am »

Hmmm that makes me wonder if you could invent new organs. "Oh Armok, that wrestler has ripped out my frunk and is choking me with it!"

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12572 on: February 15, 2010, 08:37:10 am »

That's completely doable. The only issue would be that the "frunk" would either have to not have any real function (like kidneys in the next version) or be a conglomeration of the functions of other organs. If you gave the frunk the "under pressure", "nervous" and "flier" tags, you'd end up with a big, intestine like organ that would cause nerve problems when damaged and was necessary for flight. Even more cool things could be done with secretions or custom breath tags. Those can be applied to any body part, right?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12573 on: February 15, 2010, 08:38:19 am »

Are there any plans to allow wood to be used for mechanisms for this release?
 Im thinking of forts where you start on Aquifer/multilayer aquifer. I believe wooden cogs have been historically used in windmills and such. Otherwise we will have to haul a pile of stones on embark journey. I mean we already have wooden pipes and wooden corkscrews, wooden mechanisms seem logical. Especially if you make them from oak.
Just a thought.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12574 on: February 15, 2010, 08:40:12 am »

Hmmm that makes me wonder if you could invent new organs. "Oh Armok, that wrestler has ripped out my frunk and is choking me with it!"
My squeedily-spooch!
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12575 on: February 15, 2010, 09:28:34 am »

Y'know, now that you bring up the subject of Irkens, you've gotten me thinking about partially mechanical creatures. It shouldn't be all that hard. You can do robotic arms with metal tissue layers, and electric arcs could be genericized into a gaseous, paralyzing tissue layer with the [NERVOUS] tag. Hydraulic fluid could be a liquid [MUSCULAR] tissue too. Rocket launchers and such might be difficult, though, so you probably wouldn't be able to pull off, say, a cyberdemon. You might be able to kludge something together with breath weapons, but I don't think it's likely.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12576 on: February 15, 2010, 09:52:22 am »

Rocket launchers and such might be difficult, though, so you probably wouldn't be able to pull off, say, a cyberdemon. You might be able to kludge something together with breath weapons, but I don't think it's likely.
Well, you can give it fireballs, and you ought to be able to give it a freezing attack with an extract that evaporates at an incredibly low temperature. I dunno if freeze-rays are popular with killbots these days, but they should be.
You could have it spit solid lead, which I'm guessing will not do a whole lot of damage, or you could emulate Metal Gear Rex (or was that Ray?) and give it a kind of water jet cutter. If we're lucky, maybe it'll be possible for a creature to spit lava or cave in dust, although I remember hearing that Miasma was out (unless you make a custom body detail that will rot, called "Nerve Gas Canister" or something).

JackAcid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12577 on: February 15, 2010, 10:14:47 am »

Bottomless Chasms and Pits are taken out for the next release. Will crevices and pits still be formed during worldgen, only with finite bottoms? And
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/color]

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12578 on: February 15, 2010, 10:18:41 am »

Well, you can give it fireballs, and you ought to be able to give it a freezing attack with an extract that evaporates at an incredibly low temperature. I dunno if freeze-rays are popular with killbots these days, but they should be.
You could have it spit solid lead, which I'm guessing will not do a whole lot of damage, or you could emulate Metal Gear Rex (or was that Ray?) and give it a kind of water jet cutter. If we're lucky, maybe it'll be possible for a creature to spit lava or cave in dust, although I remember hearing that Miasma was out (unless you make a custom body detail that will rot, called "Nerve Gas Canister" or something).
Miasma wouldn't be good for nerve gas anyway; it would basically create a zone of mild unpleasantness. With inhaled poisons though, the sky is the limit. The water jet cutter and the lead ball chucker will work if we can dictate the velocity of the breath weapon. Here's hoping that's in the next release.
Bottomless Chasms and Pits are taken out for the next release. Will crevices and pits still be formed during worldgen, only with finite bottoms? And
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yeah, everything has a finite bottom now. The chasms and pits, if I remember correctly, have a layer of stone around them, so they could act as shortcuts for things that can dig (like your dwarves), but your adventurers are out of luck till the adventurer skills arc.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:25:27 am by tfaal »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12579 on: February 15, 2010, 10:27:51 am »

Hehe. Ideally, the "breath weapon" would indeed be a weapon instance, and it would have all the same parameters. Meaning, being able to tell the weapon to use built-in game classes, such as rocks or logs, or arbitrary item classes or specific items, of specific material, specific temperature and specific state.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12580 on: February 15, 2010, 11:05:39 am »

Will the weapons that are used for woodcutting still be determined by the [skill:axe] tag? (if it's correct that it's like that now)
Will dwarfs use training axes for woodcutting?

On a related note, has toady explained what exactly the [training] tag on a weapon does?

I'm sure training axes aren't meant to be used for woodcutting.  Hopefully the TRAINING tag (which tells the civilizations not to try to use it as a real weapon) would preclude that.

I wonder how the raws break down for medical practice. Like could the game know that what you're operating on is similar enough to a dwarf that the doctor would gain skill?

Lime'd for attention.

If the game does allow dwarves to operate on other species, the default would be that dwarves would gain skill whether or not the creature is similar to a dwarf.  The game doesn't really have a notion of bodies being similar-yet-different -- it's hard to tackle, kind of in the same vein as metamorphosis etc.  It'll get implemented at some point, but not yet.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12581 on: February 15, 2010, 11:38:25 am »

How about just tracking matching organ patterns? See how well does the creature's BODY tag match that of yours, and derive a percentage. Fundamentally, a human isn't much different from a pig. That QUADRUPED and TAIL (and 2TUSKS for boars) would give it a degree of difference, but you could probably train a passable surgeon using just pigs.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12582 on: February 15, 2010, 11:44:10 am »

How about just tracking matching organ patterns? See how well does the creature's BODY tag match that of yours, and derive a percentage.

One must ask: a percentage of what?  I think what you're envisioning is having one set of medical skills for pigs, and another set for dwarves, with a synergistic relationship whose strength depends on that percentage.  But those species-specific skills won't exist yet.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12583 on: February 15, 2010, 11:49:32 am »

Quote from: Today's Devlog
Finally handled a world gen crash that has been a problem for a long time. Earlier I stuck some blind cave fish men (yes, be prepared) in the arena to try them out, and they wouldn't do anything but wander around. It was frustrating, but after a bit I remembered that they didn't have the EXTRAVISION flag. Then it was fine!
So that's why my peahats weren't attacking! Thanks Toady!
In other news, cave fish men are going to be awesome.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12584 on: February 15, 2010, 11:51:22 am »

Blind cave fish men, eh? Also, in case people were wondering - like me! - this is what the EXTRAVISION tag does:

"Creature can see regardless of whether it has working eyes."

Seems kinda unfair those jerk blind cave fish men can see me while being blind.
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 1065