Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 847 848 [849] 850 851 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3504735 times)

seigenblues

• Bay Watcher
  • bamf!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12720 on: February 17, 2010, 11:57:27 am »

if i may engage in a bit of inductive reasoning...

1) Floating gaseous creatures
   a) ...from deep in the caves!
   b) capable of being lured outside.

2) the new raws have "soul" tags
    a) ... which currently serve as "containers" for the mental attributes.

3) poisons!  contaminants!

from 1, 2, and 3, i will make an inductive guess that a new type of FUN we will encounter is... MIND FLAYERS! :D

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12721 on: February 17, 2010, 12:01:04 pm »

Cave crocs should be deadly of course, but killing 20 out of 40 beak dogs does not sound right somehow.  Anything big enough for a goblin to ride on it should have a huge beak about twice the size of my hand.  Even beaks on real-life raptors are extremely powerful, so imagine one about 5 times this size, on a creature the size of a St.Bernard or larger.

They were dogs, not beakdogs, otherwise he would have said war beakdogs.

@Siegenblues: Poisons and contaminants don't affect attributes yet, so we can't have viking beserker dwarves.... YET.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:04:34 pm by smjjames »

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12722 on: February 17, 2010, 12:02:58 pm »

This release is going to be like Christmas times 100.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12723 on: February 17, 2010, 12:04:58 pm »

This release is going to be like Christmas times 100.
Times birthday.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12724 on: February 17, 2010, 12:16:53 pm »

Did I do this right?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Will I get an animal with a black head, as well as green and black stripes across the rest of the body?

Aside from what Untelligent said, you have to define the color pattern in a separate file, as you can see in the sample raws.

Anticipating the next dev phase, I'll try asking a few Qs about the upcoming combat arc:

How will the unit formations have tactical meaning, if creatures can move over top of each other and through each other's lines?
(It seems that the best formation would be stacking all soldiers into a single square so that every time a single foe moves into striking range, 50 dwarves simultaneously attack him!)

Is an archery rewrite soon to be in the offing? Will it follow physics to a greater degree than now?
(There is said to be a 20-square straight-line range limit on all missile weapons that includes, at the moment, not only the lateral distance from the target but also the Z level distance as well. That was a bit disappointing to learn. Greater Z level, if anything, ought to improve both the horizontal range and force of impact of the missile.)

The Combat Arc isn't upcoming per se.  It's not one of the three areas that will receive attention after the release (sieges, adventurer skills, and top 10 ESV items), and it's not on dev_next either.

The feature layers also weren't taking into account the local erosion elevation drops from rivers, so occasionally a stream bed would be floating in the sky above underground features and cave-ins would happen immediately, leaving little spikes of stream bed where the cavern's columns and walls had been.

Are you talking about brooks or streams here? Some people misname brooks as streams, so just wondering.

Anyways, I hope that isn't entirely fixed (except for the cave-in part) because having a stream or river or whatever drop many levels down into a cave would be cool.

I think you meant "rivers or brooks," but it likely applies to both in any case.  It would be cool to have waterfalls into caves, but that's for later -- this was clearly a bug and not anything like a proper waterfall.

Is the cavern system going to take into account the type of rock it goes through? Like for example they would be bigger/more extensive in limestone and similar rock but be smaller in erosion resistant rocks like granite for example? It might be something to consider for the future though since I'm not really sure how you would handle it programming wise.

This seems to be a topic of interest for you:

Quote from: smjjames
Now that the rock types will have varying hardness (I think), will this have an affect on erosion? Like granite is very resistant to erosion.

Nothing for now.  I know there are lots of karst fans out there, and it would be good to be a bit more realistic about it, but I haven't been able to get to anything like that.  It'll also need to be balanced against the expansive-and-common fantasy cavern notion.

I wonder if we can create a will-o-the-wisp style creature which has a transparent skin, is made up of 95%+ gas bladder and the gas inside is luninous or burning or something.

You can create gas-bladder creatures, but the game has no notion yet of a material/tissue being luminous, transparent, opaque, shiny, matte, etc.

Cave crocs should be deadly of course, but killing 20 out of 40 beak dogs does not sound right somehow.  Anything big enough for a goblin to ride on it should have a huge beak about twice the size of my hand.  Even beaks on real-life raptors are extremely powerful, so imagine one about 5 times this size, on a creature the size of a St.Bernard or larger.

Yes, and the dev log also made it clear that Toady considered it odd for a cave croc to take out that many dogs.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #12725 on: February 17, 2010, 12:32:04 pm »

WTF? Floating creatures filled with gas??? That's some Hitmen For Destiny stuff right there.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12726 on: February 17, 2010, 12:33:41 pm »

Quote from: Footkerchief link=topic=30026.msg1037264#msg1037264
[quote author=smjjames link=topic=30026.msg1037139#msg1037139 date=1266423071
Is the cavern system going to take into account the type of rock it goes through? Like for example they would be bigger/more extensive in limestone and similar rock but be smaller in erosion resistant rocks like granite for example? It might be something to consider for the future though since I'm not really sure how you would handle it programming wise.

This seems to be a topic of interest for you:

Quote from: smjjames
Now that the rock types will have varying hardness (I think), will this have an affect on erosion? Like granite is very resistant to erosion.

Nothing for now.  I know there are lots of karst fans out there, and it would be good to be a bit more realistic about it, but I haven't been able to get to anything like that.  It'll also need to be balanced against the expansive-and-common fantasy cavern notion.

Hey, I like science and geology :)

I wonder if we can create a will-o-the-wisp style creature which has a transparent skin, is made up of 95%+ gas bladder and the gas inside is luninous or burning or something.

You can create gas-bladder creatures, but the game has no notion yet of a material/tissue being luminous, transparent, opaque, shiny, matte, etc.

Isn't there that glowtile tag or something? I have no idea how that tag works in fort mode but we can always add the transparent skin and bieng luminous bit in the description.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:49:22 pm by smjjames »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12727 on: February 17, 2010, 12:38:28 pm »

Isn't there that glowtile tag or something? I have no idea how that tag works in fort mode but we can always add the transparent skin and bieng luminous bit in the description.

That's true, you could use glowtile for that.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12728 on: February 17, 2010, 12:39:34 pm »

So are they blind cave fish men or cave fish men who are blinded?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12729 on: February 17, 2010, 12:43:08 pm »

That's true, you could use glowtile for that.

Cool, that should work to simulate bioluminescence. Not sure how it looks ingame because I use Maydays graphics pack and I only know of the tag (or rather how it's suppoused to look) from it bieng mentioned elswhere.

I'm really only a novice modder as I haven't gone any further than a few tweaks to stuff and none of the creature building stuff.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12730 on: February 17, 2010, 01:13:21 pm »

Yes, and the dev log also made it clear that Toady considered it odd for a cave croc to take out that many dogs.

I dunno. Cave Crocodiles are presumebly roughly the same size as a saltwater croc, and most likely have the same level of armour. I'd bet on a saltwater crocodile being able to kill that many dogs. I mean the big ones weigh a couple of tonnes, and the only vunerable spots would be the eyes, and possibly throat.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12731 on: February 17, 2010, 01:21:21 pm »

I forgot to set the boiling point of the gas inside the body of a floating creature, so the poor thing died with the message "<name> has condensed." The former gas was in a puddle. You'll still be able to get this to happen if you lure them out of the caves onto a glacier.

That is perhaps the greatest thing I have ever read.  Ever.  It's stuff like this that cements the fact that I will never stop caring about Dwarf Fortress.

If there were a thread that was simply updated with the crazy and incredible things that come up during testing (or just normal fortress life), I would read it to keep me warm at night.

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12732 on: February 17, 2010, 01:26:34 pm »

I forgot to set the boiling point of the gas inside the body of a floating creature

SPAWN MORE OVERLORDS!

from 1, 2, and 3, i will make an inductive guess that a new type of FUN we will encounter is... MIND FLAYERS! :D

I'd say beholders, but I wouldn't expect such obvious D&D-isms in Dwarf Fortress. Toady tends to subvert those things.

And now he'll subvert my expectations by putting in beholders... :boggle:

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12733 on: February 17, 2010, 01:29:43 pm »

I forgot to set the boiling point of the gas inside the body of a floating creature

SPAWN MORE OVERLORDS!

I'd say beholders, but I wouldn't expect such obvious D&D-isms in Dwarf Fortress. Toady tends to subvert those things.

And now he'll subvert my expectations by putting in beholders... :boggle:

I thought the flying creature would be more akin to a jellyfish or maybe a porteguese man-o-war.

Besides, without magic, a beholder wouldn't be very dangerous.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 01:31:19 pm by smjjames »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12734 on: February 17, 2010, 01:40:23 pm »

"SPAWN MORE OVERLORDS" made me lol. Yeah, definetly evokes a similar mental image. That, or Floaters from Fallout.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 847 848 [849] 850 851 ... 1065