Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781110 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Free To Play! Deus Ex promos! Heavy with a bionic arm!
« Reply #6975 on: August 22, 2011, 02:18:25 pm »

In other news, Microphone acquired.

Now I am able to ineffectually yell at everyone while they get themselves and me killed.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6976 on: August 22, 2011, 02:34:20 pm »

So I got my computer and then I installed TF2. I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong.

Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

I know what you mean. I've been playing this since June (Holy shit. Has it really been that long?) and I'm still highly addicted to it. No other game has managed to keep my attention for so long, especially considering that I rarely play multiplayer in any other of my games.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6977 on: August 22, 2011, 03:27:17 pm »

Pubstomper wouldn't be bad.

How you do civ demo, anyways?

I've been punishing trigger happy pubs as a civ demo lately.  Go demo, and hang out by their spawn, talk to their snipers(Which are usually just fine with me hangin out with them), etc.  You know.  If someone starts shooting at me, I quickswitch to demopan then charge/pan. So the question is, for this style of play, what should I name my demopan?

I believe he doesn't fight unless someone attacks him first. (I think it stands for civilized demoman.)

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6978 on: August 22, 2011, 03:35:27 pm »

Nope, you literally appear to have no weapon until you switch to it.

To do it, turn off respawn after loadout change in advanced options.
Bind a key to the quickswitch option in controls(Not bound by default)

Run up to a supply closet and taunt.  Quickswitch to a different weapon while taunting.  At the end of the taunt you become a civ.(Your previous weapon still shows for you, but will not fire.  You can test if you did it right by trying to fire.)

You appear like this to others.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6979 on: August 22, 2011, 03:39:01 pm »

Ah. Never mind then (I might do that myself).

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6980 on: August 22, 2011, 03:55:51 pm »

Yeah, too bad I suck at sniping >.<

Been trying to practice all of yesterday. What I don't get is how I'm so bad compared to black ops. Not higher-level super advanced trickshots etc., I MEAN SHOOTING A FREAKING HEAVY IN THE HEAD WHILE HE'S CROUCHED AND MOVING SIDEWAYS CONSISTENTLY T.T
Depending on server latency, you may want to just shoot a little behind/in front of them.

The whole point of lag compensation is to eliminate exactly this artefact. Assuming your ping remains constant, you should shoot directly on target; any delay due to latency will be compensated out by the server.

Now, aiming slightly ahead is still a good idea, but not because of technological issues. Rather, humans have slightly delayed reactions; you may think you're shooting with perfect timing, but in fact you're pressing the mouse button a fraction of a second after you think you are. As a result, it's entirely independent of server latency, and entirely dependent on personal skill. If your reticule was over the target's head at the moment you clicked the button, you will hit, irregardless of latency.

Except when compensation screws up.

I've been getting better (nothing near a level I'd be proud of, but better) with the sniper, I probably hit generic public match players ~30% of the time, around a quarter of those hits are actually headshots. (Assuming I aim at the target for a headshot, 3/4 of the time it hits). I AM A TERRIBLE SNIPER >:U
Must... Keep... Practicing...
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6981 on: August 22, 2011, 04:47:00 pm »

Meh, I've just given up being a competent Sniper...using the rifle. Aggro Frontline Huntsman/Jarate Sniper? Much more my style. Popping around corners and headshotting before they can retaliate, huntspamming chokepoints, Jarateing large groups so your teammates can wipe them out... I don't understand why most people prefer sitting in a corner waiting for headshots.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6982 on: August 22, 2011, 06:34:42 pm »

One thing I love is quickscoping with the bazaar bargain. That thing seriously has an insane zoom turning ratio.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6983 on: August 24, 2011, 04:43:50 pm »

Something must have happened with the TF2 item servers while I was playing today. As a pyro, I couldn't wield my beloved backburner for some reason. Or a regular flame-thrower. The only weapons I could use was a detonator and postal plummer (I still managed to kill a few people with the two).

Has anybody else experienced this today? (or perhaps in the past)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6984 on: August 24, 2011, 04:45:44 pm »

Yeah, that happens sometime.

Got my first 6-stab killstreak today. I suck at spy but this went surprisingly well.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6985 on: August 24, 2011, 04:48:50 pm »

Got my first 6-stab killstreak today. I suck at spy but this went surprisingly well.

Please excuse me while I pick up my jaw from the floor.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6986 on: August 24, 2011, 04:52:11 pm »

Spy is my least played class next to sniper.

I'm currently experimenting with the conniver and ringer, but I'm not yet getting the hang of it. The trick is to retreat tactically and behave normally, and I'm not too good at that.

YET!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6987 on: August 24, 2011, 04:58:41 pm »

Oh, that reminds me: Have the Valve servers gone now or was that just my internet fucking up (I tried playing on the DFC before I noticed anything wrong; bad idea)? If they have, I'll be forced to regularly battle people who can actually play. :(

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6988 on: August 24, 2011, 05:00:26 pm »

Spy is my least played class next to sniper.

I'm currently experimenting with the conniver and ringer, but I'm not yet getting the hang of it. The trick is to retreat tactically and behave normally, and I'm not too good at that.

YET!

Retreat behind enemy lines and find an ammo pack.  Try to get your cloak to full or as close as possible.  Disguise as scout, demo, pyro, sniper, or spy.  Mimic behavior, only deploy your DR again if they concentrate on you.(If you get a pyro after you and you get lit, let it burn a little to make your death more convincing)

Spying is much easier when you know all the side passages and little hideouts you can take refuge in.

Also...I noticed they patched the civilian bug.   :(
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6989 on: August 24, 2011, 05:02:14 pm »

Don't worry about sucking as spy, 70% of it is luck. At best you can learn how to avoid foes and when to attack, but random spychecking, scouts bumping into you as a pyro rounds a corner, heavies spinning around for no reason to mow you down and all sorts of funkiness can really mess you up no matter what skill level you are at. You can remove a percentage or two for the crazier spy maneuvers like jumping backwards over a scout running straight towards you to backstab them or perfecting facestabs, but don't worry too much about dying a lot.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 774