Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781802 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Smerry Smissmas!
« Reply #10065 on: January 21, 2014, 06:58:03 pm »

I've raegquit twice so far today. I think that's the proper initiation.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10066 on: January 22, 2014, 10:13:25 am »

I've raegquit twice so far today. I think that's the proper initiation.

If you just started, you are going to be horrible at it.  I initially took the approach (even playing in practice mode) that it was like Doom.  It isn't.  It really isn't.  The reality is that the AI is pretty good, and human players are even better.  It takes a while to learn such basics as charging a heavy when his gun is spun up, or learning to flank as a pyro.  I started as a sniper, switched to pyro, then heavy, then engineer, and occasionally a medic. 

I am still a poor scout, spy, or demoman.  I am a mediocre soldier, depending on the circumstances.  I am not good at rocket jumping.  It takes time to learn each role.

Overall, I suggest finding a character you like, sticking to it, and learning it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10067 on: January 22, 2014, 06:38:41 pm »

I'm alright with Engineers and Heavy [which is supposedly the easiest class, FWIW], I've had success recently with sniper. I am god-awful at being a spy though. 2 points is my best. :c

I also got a level 65 bazooka my second day, which was neat. Too bad it kinda sucks.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10068 on: January 22, 2014, 06:53:47 pm »

Spy is relatively easy, but you gotta know peoples habits, the lay-out of the map. And it's a good deal of ambush and lie-in-wait, hence the map-knowing. And some maps just aren't that great for spy. Payloads are generally good, and attack/defence ones, even Control Point. As long as the map A) has a fairly linear goal, so that most people are headed in the same direction and you don't have many people looking behind them, and B) has a fair number of back-alleys you can use to get behind enemy lines, those ones tend to be better spy-playing maps.

Though I have had good times where I just basically saw people I wanted to kill and did it. So it's a bit of a toss-up.

Anyway, even if you get good at the "anticipate where people will come through and what they will do" thing, it's still a toss-up whether you'll be any good in any given round. You can be either at the top of the score-board, or the bottom, there's no real middle-ground. (This might be related to how backstabs give you double points, one for the kill and one for the backstab. So if you get a kill, it counts as most other classes 2 kills. So you could have a mediocre kill-rate in a match but still be leading by like 20 points (assuming you aren't doing anything else, like capping the intelligence or sapping engineer buildings, which tbh you should be doing))

The wiki has some good basic tips for each of the classes, at any rate. General tips, specific strategies, and map-specific class tips.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:59:00 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10069 on: January 22, 2014, 06:55:47 pm »

Spy is probably the hardest for a beginner.  It benefits the most from map expertise, and is really all about guessing what other players will do and blending in long enough to stick it to them.  At this point you aren't in a good position to predict anything about the veteran player-base, and most of them have years of experience detecting spies.  It's hella fun once you get the hang of it though... :)  A good basic thing to learn and practice however is to use the cloak to get to an enemy sentrygun unseen, sap it (don't forget a disguise), then try to kill the engineer before he fixes it.  It doesn't require a ton of spy skill, you'll learn the basics of the cloak timing and places to use it, it helps the team, and sentry-removal tricks are a good skill to have in your toolbox. 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10070 on: January 22, 2014, 07:07:38 pm »

Yeah, Spy is that class you get into last if you don't want to be blown up too much. A lot of it is just learning not to get immediately creamed immediately before and after a stab.

If you want to practice, I recommend just disguising and blending in with the enemy for as long as you can. No stabbing, just try walk with the team. It'll take practice to get to a point where you can just be in a place undisguised and not die (for a while I was absolutely sure that I gave off some kind of spy aura that set me off). The other thing is cloak management. You will die a lot from this. Cloak works on everyone from beginners to pros (well, not dead ringer, but that's the exception), and by knowing where the ammo kits are and general places to hide, you can extend your distance tremendously.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10071 on: January 24, 2014, 12:52:14 am »

I stopped playing spy because of how often the class is played on pubby servers.  They seem to favor assassin classes, which is fine I guess.  But when you have three spies on your team, and two of them both suck and are using the dead ringer, you know there's going to be at least one pyro on the enemy team that is doing nothing but spy checking.  A surprise based class does not lend itself to being spammed, and its frustrating because if you wanted to have a reasonable team composition (AKA only one spy) you'd have to constantly switch off whenever some idiot switches and starts going for their one kill every five minutes with the dead ringer.  Which of course means you'll never play spy, because there's always some idiot trying to use the dead ringer.

To clarify, I have no problem with people being bad at TF2.  I just get annoyed because I feel it gets in the way of my fun.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10072 on: January 24, 2014, 12:58:42 am »

My favorite type of class rush is spy rush, but only if everyone disguises as a friendly pyro.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10073 on: January 24, 2014, 02:26:31 am »

Best rush is heavy rush.

It is very slow rush.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10074 on: January 24, 2014, 03:47:07 am »

I stopped playing spy because of how often the class is played on pubby servers.  They seem to favor assassin classes, which is fine I guess.  But when you have three spies on your team, and two of them both suck and are using the dead ringer, you know there's going to be at least one pyro on the enemy team that is doing nothing but spy checking.  A surprise based class does not lend itself to being spammed, and its frustrating because if you wanted to have a reasonable team composition (AKA only one spy) you'd have to constantly switch off whenever some idiot switches and starts going for their one kill every five minutes with the dead ringer.  Which of course means you'll never play spy, because there's always some idiot trying to use the dead ringer.

To clarify, I have no problem with people being bad at TF2.  I just get annoyed because I feel it gets in the way of my fun.

As a terribad spy myself, I too would like an opportunity to play in a low skill enviornment. It's too bad that alot of kids hop onto pubs, and they see the mysterious lone wolf secret agent James Bond character, and their mouse just naturally gravitates towards him when looking at the class selection screen. Unfortunately, noone tells them that each spy beyond the first merely causes them to step on eachother's toes, and that a single pyro that's doing nothing but 360's can hard counter a dozen spies easy.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10075 on: January 24, 2014, 12:24:26 pm »

This is why I play on smaller servers. 18 players, MAYBE 24 if I'm feeling frisky. As soon as the bottom player drops off my tab-list, it's too big.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10076 on: January 25, 2014, 09:06:40 am »

Best rush is heavy rush.

It is very slow rush.

This. So much, this.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10077 on: January 25, 2014, 09:12:05 am »

I used to play on a server where draws would be resolved with Sudden Death. Accompanied by turning everyone into heavies and locking them into melee. Always glorious, but it doesn't happen a lot because they're 24/7 turbine/2fort servers.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #10078 on: January 25, 2014, 09:54:40 am »

PTW.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10079 on: January 25, 2014, 06:03:09 pm »

Best rush is heavy rush.

It is very slow rush.
Yes. I was once on a team of 10 heavies, 2 medics. So glorious. We all traveled together (pl_upward), and they basically lost each point as soon as we managed to walk there. Even sentries and spies couldn't stop the armada. A pyro who died near the starting area complained "It was only heavies. What could I have done?" We actually started because these two guys were both eating sandwiches, and someone on the other team replaced the sandwich eating sounds with the Popeye song; he was complaining, so more people went Heavy and started eating. He started panicking as the timer ran out, saying over the microphone "Oh god no all the heavies no".

I also saw a soldier rush though, and that was pretty damned impressive as well. You can't cap against that spam. It was before the Short Circuit got it's thing though, so mileage may vary now.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 774