Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 782020 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 war-themed hat simulator!
« Reply #10710 on: December 01, 2014, 12:37:53 pm »

Medic is mainly jumping around and trying not to get killed by all the players trying to kill you. :P
(Medics are incredibly useful, though, to the point where a good medic can decide a game mostly by himself sometimes. )
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:41:15 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10711 on: December 01, 2014, 01:12:28 pm »

I'd also say that certain classes are much easier than others.  Medic, soldier and pyro are all pretty easy to be decent at.
I've seen some terrible medics in pubs who only heal their (overhealed and not getting shot at) pocket and completely ignore all their injured teammates calling for medic. I'd say medic has a higher learning curve than basic soldier or pyro.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10712 on: December 01, 2014, 01:26:55 pm »

I don't think medic is actually a good class to start out as.  It's hard to defend yourself and everyone will be trying to kill you.  Once you've gotten a better feel for how to avoid deadly situations it isn't so bad, but until then you'll die uselessly a lot.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10713 on: December 01, 2014, 01:37:09 pm »

These aren't all great ideas, but how about...

Spy
1. A spy knife that increases run speed, but disables the revolver.
2. A revolver with reduced clip size (possibly even as low as single shot per reload), but lets you lay a small trap that cloaks or activates after a couple of seconds. Maybe the trap deals damage when it's triggered, or stuns. It can be destroyed if it's attacked, or seen if the cloak wears off. It has a recharge time so it can't be spammed.

Sniper
1. Rifle that doesn't headshot, but disables/reduces cloak charge, and interrupts/reduces uber charges.

Engineer
1. A new primary weapon to complete the battle engie set. Shotgun that replaces your normal dispenser with a pocket dispenser. Heals nearby allies a little (lvl 1 dispenser amount?), but doesn't produce ammo. However, it lets you store extra ammo drops and dispenses them automatically.

Pyro
1. Napalm sprayer. Has drastically reduced/no direct damage, but hugely increased afterburn duration and damage. Possibly harder to remove the afterburn effect. Allow it to stick to the ground and walls for a while, and catch enemies on fire as they run through it. Alt-fire creates a longer range spray at the cost of extra ammo. Spray burns so hot, it incinerates projectiles. This weapon is intended to remove some of the pyro's vulnerability by reducing the time it has to spend in such close range, reducing the need to get so close all the time, allows it to suppress movement through an area, and let's it spend a longer time away from support and pickups, while trading off it's up-front damage.
2. Acid sprayer. Less/no afterburn, but penetrates resistance to fire and afterburn effects. Alt-fire leaves a cloud of acid that persists for a couple of seconds. It destroys projectiles and damage anything that runs through it. Maybe does more damage to buildings? Obviously, this would be part of a super awesome cosmetic set with an acid hazmat suit.

Demoman
1. Armor with similar stats to the Heavy's armor from my above post. Makes pure Demoknight more viable.
2. Grenade launcher that doesn't need to reload, but you can only carry 8 ammo at once.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10714 on: December 01, 2014, 02:12:39 pm »

stop making classes do what other classes are supposed to do.
1. Napalm sprayer. Has drastically reduced/no direct damage, but hugely increased afterburn duration and damage. Possibly harder to remove the afterburn effect. Allow it to stick to the ground and walls for a while, and catch enemies on fire as they run through it. Alt-fire creates a longer range spray at the cost of extra ammo. Spray burns so hot, it incinerates projectiles. This weapon is intended to remove some of the pyro's vulnerability by reducing the time it has to spend in such close range, reducing the need to get so close all the time, allows it to suppress movement through an area, and let's it spend a longer time away from support and pickups, while trading off it's up-front damage.
play demoman
2. Acid sprayer. Less/no afterburn, but penetrates resistance to fire and afterburn effects. Alt-fire leaves a cloud of acid that persists for a couple of seconds. It destroys projectiles and damage anything that runs through it. Maybe does more damage to buildings? Obviously, this would be part of a super awesome cosmetic set with an acid hazmat suit.
theres already a hazmat hat i think, and again, play demoman. having an item that defeats the point of other items is pretty dumb too.

1. Armor with similar stats to the Heavy's armor from my above post. Makes pure Demoknight more viable.
you know those shields? they give damage resistance. and pure demoman isn't hard, i manage top scores if the circumstances are right (demoman is pretty shitty in some situations where you cant easily reach enemies)

2. Grenade launcher that doesn't need to reload, but you can only carry 8 ammo at once.
if you know the map, this will be pretty OP. Ammo spawns aren't that rare.

2. A revolver with reduced clip size (possibly even as low as single shot per reload), but lets you lay a small trap that cloaks or activates after a couple of seconds. Maybe the trap deals damage when it's triggered, or stuns. It can be destroyed if it's attacked, or seen if the cloak wears off. It has a recharge time so it can't be spammed.
play demoman

1. Rifle that doesn't headshot, but disables/reduces cloak charge, and interrupts/reduces uber charges.
a dedicated spykiller really isnt very useful for a sniper, and ubercharges are supposed to be scary.

the other two I don't really see the point.

and yeah, I guess Medic isn't that good of a class to start as.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #10715 on: December 01, 2014, 02:22:02 pm »

What about an ice based pyro weapon that gives speed debuffs but no afterburn?

Call it the cryo
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10716 on: December 02, 2014, 01:38:05 am »

So Natasha, with an obnoxiously long duration debuff and even worse than normal pyro ability to kill people who are being healed by medics?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10717 on: December 02, 2014, 09:28:51 am »

Hmm, if I had to invent an item... it would be a stickybomb launcher with greatly reduced splash radius, slightly slower projectile speed, higher damage, and it takes 2 hits to destroy the bombs (although they can still be pushed as normal).  And I would accompany this item with rolling back the roll back of the damage ramp up for all launchers including this one.

Basically, it would be an anti-sentry stickybomb launcher, so the crazy superiority of the stock stickybomb launcher could be toned down without letting engies run rampant.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10718 on: December 02, 2014, 02:42:09 pm »

stop making classes do what other classes are supposed to do.
All classes have weapons that put a different spin of it's primary role, or even creating a secondary role. You might as well complain about spies having the Ambassador because it can headshot, or the scout having the Force-a-Nature because it knocks back like a pyro's airblast. All the functions I listed still don't measure up to a class who has it as a main focus.

the other two I don't really see the point.
The spy knife would make it impossible to take opponents out at a range, but would let you catch up to and stab things you otherwise would have little chance of hurting. The increased mobility, in general, is quite useful, and makes the spy more ninja-like.

The engineer shotgun is intended to compliment the Gunslinger and it's mini-sentries.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10719 on: December 02, 2014, 02:48:40 pm »

the ambassador actually makes sense for the spy because it can't zoom in and has a somewhat long reload before you can headshot again. it can also take out people in one hit, which fits the spy. knockback is not really a thing of one class. the napalm sprayer would outpeform the demoman because you cant shoot it so its gone. minisentries and stickies already serve to limit movement through an area, and the pyro really isn't that vulnerable if you play it right. the pyro has quite a lot of health tbh, and he's pretty fast.

most of your suggestions seem to be oriented around area denial, and there area already three classes that can do that (engie, demo, sniper). giving it to more classes would just make the game even more campy, which sucks.

The spy knife seems decently cool I guess. and i still dont see the point of the dispenser really. a solly can still bop in and kill your disp.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10720 on: December 02, 2014, 03:25:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ambassador can only 1-shot at close range. Without the damage ramp-up, it only does 102 on a headshot.

The napalm sprayer effect would only last a limited time before it burns itself out and need to be re-applied. The sticky launcher also has more range and damage if caught in the blast.

I guess I kinda had the scout in mind when I thought up the area denial effects. Scouts tend to rub me the wrong way. Never heard sniper referred to as an area denial class.

Pyro only has average movement speed unless you use the powerjack (which makes you take more damage), and outside of flare guns, is exclusively close range.

The battle engie is about not having to babysit your buildings all the time. The mini dispenser can still be taken out by killing the engie, but at least you can take it with you instead of spending all that time setting up in a new spot, again.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10721 on: December 03, 2014, 05:23:29 am »

You listed only disadvantages for the battle dispenser, really.

With what you said about the ambassador you basically defeated your own point so vOv

And area denial remains something that pyros shouldn't be able to do. Going to add a mini gun that shoots flechettes next?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10722 on: December 03, 2014, 06:38:24 am »

Unless I've gone insane and forgotten core mechanics, critical hits don't have damage ramp up by distance.  I don't even think their damage is random at all.  An ambassador should NEVER kill a full health character in one hit.

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
« Reply #10723 on: December 03, 2014, 07:58:00 am »

Unless I've gone insane and forgotten core mechanics, critical hits don't have damage ramp up by distance.  I don't even think their damage is random at all.  An ambassador should NEVER kill a full health character in one hit.

Yes. Unless your opponent is getting some special resistance or vulnerability to damage (ie. Battalion's backup active effect or powerjack damage vulnerability) an amby headshot will always do exactly 102 damage
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10724 on: December 03, 2014, 12:19:26 pm »

Guess I was wrong about the amby's OHKO, shows how much I play Spy :V
But it's still quite useful as an elimination tool.

Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 774