Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781290 times)

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: The WAR! Update! Close Combat Kit for Demo!
« Reply #1605 on: December 16, 2009, 07:01:29 pm »

This things is going to be brilliant, i just need to avoid a direct hit now, no more splash damage givin' me away!
...Direct Hit isn't replacing regular rocket launcher. It's just an alternative; people will use whichever they like better or whichever is better for a given situation.

Oh...

Zai already mentioned the new rocket launcher...
If we're giving "credit" around, give it to SHAD0W. He's the one who told me last night.

This or soldiers will probably start teaming up with airblasting pyros to get aerial mini-crits.
Oh my. I hadn't thought of that. But it'll probably start out like the Sniper update did: "Light your arrow? I don't get any points out of that, so no."
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: December 16, 2009, 07:13:14 pm »

This or soldiers will probably start teaming up with airblasting pyros to get aerial mini-crits.
Oh my. I hadn't thought of that. But it'll probably start out like the Sniper update did: "Light your arrow? I don't get any points out of that, so no."
More of these updates should have features that would go well with pyro teamwork but will never be utilized because of, well, pyro teamwork.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

I never miss.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: December 16, 2009, 08:33:56 pm »

This things is going to be brilliant, i just need to avoid a direct hit now, no more splash damage givin' me away!
...Direct Hit isn't replacing regular rocket launcher. It's just an alternative; people will use whichever they like better or whichever is better for a given situation.
But for a while EVERYONE who can get ahold of the thing will be using it. Go spies!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile

But for a while EVERYONE who can get ahold of the thing will be using it. Go spies!
Only when they first get it. After most realize they're terrible with it, they'll switch back. And you've also got to factor in the amount of Soldiers using RL to get the achievements that allow you to get the Direct Hit for the actual % of Soldiers using either weapon at update-release.

Wait. Why am I trying to apply mathematics to Soldier? The 2 don't go together very well. Math doesn't go together with TF2 itself very well either, aside from maybe Engy with his SCIENCE!!

[EDIT:] It's hard to imagine the update is coming out tomorrow, with what little info we have of it at this moment (less than half of the new weapons). But it has to, as Valve is advertising the free weekend as including the update.

[EDIT 2:] "Give 'em the boot, right in the fruit" wins the Propaganda Contest.

However, the recession must be a lot worse than we thought, because apparently all of you are unemployed and have nothing better to do than spend real hours drawing incredibly time-consuming art for virtual prizes.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:14:21 pm by Zai »
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

Rest of the weapons revealed. Honestly, I'm not too impressed with the last bit or any of the soldier's weapons.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile

Rest of the weapons revealed. Honestly, I'm not too impressed with the last bit or any of the soldier's weapons.
I strongly disagree.

Copy-pasted from another discussion of mine.
Bugle: This could be a similar mechanic to the Ubercharge. It is meant to make the game more dynamic and is an excellent push tool. I really look forward to seeing how this changes gameplay in both pubs and comps.

Pickaxe: A similar idea to the Demo's sword in that its effect changes with over time. I like.

ScoRe: I really hope that the point-detonate mechanic has no range to it. Stickytrapping both exits in gravelpit anybody? The ultimate defensive weapon.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

Sure, they're useful. I'm just not impressed with them.

No shock value. Doesn't convey the sense of "oooh yeah!!! I'mma holding a hugeass sword and coming for your lanky ass boy-o!"

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: The WAR today: Weapons and achievements. Sides are almost t
« Reply #1613 on: December 17, 2009, 03:41:43 am »

After looking at everything, I'm pretty happy with Soldiers unlocks, but I think Demo really needs the bonus weapon as the Scottish Resistance isn't terribly exciting and doesn't even look so. Also, there isn't any substitute for the Grenade Launcher? That's weird.

Another peculiar thing was Soldiers "Spray of Defeat"-achievement. "Use a grenade to gib a player"? Where does he get that from?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: The WAR today: Weapons and achievements. Sides are almost t
« Reply #1614 on: December 17, 2009, 04:01:18 am »

Another peculiar thing was Soldiers "Spray of Defeat"-achievement. "Use a grenade to gib a player"? Where does he get that from?

Clearly, from the same place he gets his grenades in his shotgun taunt!  I'm guessing it's a new-weapon-only tauntkill.

I really like the Scottish Resistance.  I'm guessing any stickies onscreen blow up.  Will be very nice for defending, say, the flag room in CTF_Well, with multiple entrances.  Drop four stickies on the flag, then go around mining ALL the entrances.

But I gotta say, when I read the description for the bugle, I thought "Team Fortress of Warcraft"...  It's awesome, and fits my playing style great if I lived long enough to use it, but still!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 04:12:23 am by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

I'm assuming that the grenade is his fourth secret weapon.

Edit: I knew 'asumming' looked weird.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 04:43:17 am by Cheeetar »
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

Oh god no.  That would almost imply a return to TFC-style grenades, and now that I'm rid of them, I'm GLAD to be rid of them.

Nah, I think it's a tauntkill for sure.  Besides, why make an achievement for a weapon you might not even get?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

Just in case.

I also do not support the return of grenades, but I think they might return. I don't see how a taunt kill could include a grenade.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

In Nilocy's server, in an arena match with just soldiers and demomans (mans, because they are not MEN!), once in a while a soldier would get demoweapons and a demo would get soldier weapons. Looked weird, but made a "grenadekill" as a soldier possible :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile

I'm assuming that the grenade is his fourth secret weapon.

Edit: I knew 'asumming' looked weird.
Nope, it was confirmed to be his tauntkill.

This weapon also has the Soldier's associated kill taunt. When you taunt with the Equalizer he will toss the weapon aside, remove one of his chest grenades, and blow himself and any enemies nearby sky high. (The taunt anim plays at a slow speed like other kill taunts, so it isn't trivial to pull it off. The damage radius is very tight as well.)

Just to clarify, that's from an e-mail sent to the original designer by the TF2 team.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 774