Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Hydrodynamics Education  (Read 53964 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Hydrodynamics Education
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2010, 01:06:42 am »

Open areas of fluids research:
The behavior of underground waterfalls (river sources) has not been studied.

Here's a little test study done by Maw. To summarize it, the waterfall tile creates a 7/7 tile of water on top of it, and it fluid paths just like a pump. Further, it can be collapsed and its water creating potential will be preserved.
Anyone got more info on this? Does he mean that collapsing the 'waterfall' tiles into a lower z-level will cause them to create water there, or will it create water in midair?

Also, what will happen if something crashed through the waterfill tiles? I assume it will just be destroyed, which would a total waste, but I like to be sure  ;)
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2010, 03:08:25 pm »

This only happens if the u-blend is neat the end of the river, if you put the u-blend near the beginning of the river, the u-blend will fill, the river will start to drain, near the end.
You have no idea what you're talking about, please don't post silly crap that takes 5 minutes to debunk:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1877-u-bendatupstreamendofriver

Excuse me for my "silly crap" post , but I clearly recall one of my fortresses getting completely flooded up to the level of the river from a breach on a lower level, and half the river was almost dry. There had to be some other breach on the river level then.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2010, 08:06:26 am »

Open areas of fluids research:
The behavior of underground waterfalls (river sources) has not been studied.

Here's a little test study done by Maw. To summarize it, the waterfall tile creates a 7/7 tile of water on top of it, and it fluid paths just like a pump. Further, it can be collapsed and its water creating potential will be preserved.
Anyone got more info on this? Does he mean that collapsing the 'waterfall' tiles into a lower z-level will cause them to create water there, or will it create water in midair?

Also, what will happen if something crashed through the waterfill tiles? I assume it will just be destroyed, which would a total waste, but I like to be sure  ;)

As to your first question:

Collapsing the 'waterfall' tile to a lower z-level will cause them to create water at the new level location.  The waterfall creation is tied to the tile, not to the location.  Your question was the reason for my testing in the first place (I wanted the latter effect)  ;)

As to your second question, please find from a later post in the referred thread:

3) I lose the waterfall source completely (and have to redirect a brook instead)?

Note that you can destroy the waterfall tile by collapsing on it a natural wall (blocking the tile) or a natural floor (not blocking the tile).  Collapsing a constructed floor will not have an effect, as falling constructions deconstruct into their source materials.

Thus, 3) will only be the result if you collapse a natural wall or floor onto the waterfall tiles, destroying said tile.  It is immaterial if you just collapse with the waterfall tile supported by natural walls underneath, or cause collapses down several z-levels; either way the waterfall source tile is 'covered' and destroyed.

Assumption - given that natural floor destroys the source, I doubt collapsing a wall, then mining the wall would re-reveal the waterfall source tile.  You essentially replace the waterfall source tile with the upper floor's floor tile.

Note: Untested - does a falling construction (which deconstructs so no new floor tile), smashing into the waterfall tile with open space underneath cause the waterfall tile to collapse to a new zlevel, or does it destroy the waterfall tile.  The reference above is for a natural floor/wall onto the waterfall tile.  Simple test to collapse a construction on any floor tile (e.g. a coloured stone) onto some other colour stone.  Which do you end up with?
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2010, 08:53:08 am »

Could it be that all waterfall/brook source tiles are small aquifers and so follow their rules? IIRC a dug out aquifer won't produce water. Nor a smoothed one will. This needs testing.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 10:34:07 am »

Is this thread still accurate for 2010?
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

ByDurinsBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2010, 11:45:12 am »

Going by the "don't fix it if it ain't broke" rule of programming, I'd assume fluid dynamics work as they used to.

I'm wondering about the apparent redundancy in the initial post though. Strictly, rule #2 for pumps doesn't seem to be necessary. They should only need to feed the exit tile with fluid, and the fluid dynamic code handles the spread. There's no need to run the same function twice over same fluid tiles.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2010, 12:21:46 pm »

I think the reason that rule became relevant was magma, which DOESN'T obey the usual pressure mechanics but can be pushed up to the pump's level through a u-trap.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2010, 03:04:06 pm »

From what I've been seeing the only thing that's really changed in fluid behavior is that mass is now a bigger factor in if something will be pushed by flow, and flow also has some measure of relative force associated with it. I've figured that one of the big reasons why so many people are reporting that fishing is much less useful than before ("I have no fish anywhere!") is because the fish are all getting bundled up at the exit end of the river/stream by the force of the flow where they get hit against the walls over and over again until they die.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2010, 11:40:46 pm »

I'm mostly wondering about this because I'm planning to build a large magma-fall system with a constant amount of magma and I'm wondering, if I have rooms built to a level where they will be totally or partially submerged in the magma reservoir with a channel in the bottom for forges/smelters, will the magma rise up through the channel?

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2010, 12:00:15 pm »

No-one has an answer? I kind of need to know this before I move on with the next stage of design for my fortress.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2010, 12:03:10 pm »

I'm mostly wondering about this because I'm planning to build a large magma-fall system with a constant amount of magma and I'm wondering, if I have rooms built to a level where they will be totally or partially submerged in the magma reservoir with a channel in the bottom for forges/smelters, will the magma rise up through the channel?
No, it won't. I thought I didn't know the answer then I realized that my magma smelters are three levels below the surface of my magma and I've done nothing to neutralize the pressure to no ill consequences. Magma still only flows sideways and down.

Terbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2010, 12:05:47 pm »

Magma still only flows sideways and down.

Except for when it is pumped, in which case it will act exactly like pumped water.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2010, 12:10:38 pm »

Except for when it is pumped, in which case it will act exactly like pumped water.
Which is sideways and down.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2010, 12:36:36 pm »

Which is sideways and down.

And up through any u-bends to the level of the pump.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2010, 12:59:40 pm »

Yeah, that's my question. I (will) have the magma pumped up to the top of a cavern, where it will flow out and fall down about 10 z levels and then pool at the bottom 3-4 z layers. In this instance, will the magma still act pressurised and flow up through a channel in a partially submerged room?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5