Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Let's play - Empire: Total War. Turn 18, 1708. Research table! :o  (Read 42403 times)

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com

Empire: Total War is a turn-based strategy and real-time tactics computer game developed by the Creative Assembly and published by Sega. The game is set in the early modern period, spanning from 1700 to 1799.
As with previous Total War games, Empire: Total War consists of two broad areas of gameplay: a turn-based campaign map that allows the user to move armies across the globe, conduct diplomacy, trade and other tasks needed to run their faction, and a real-time battle mode that enables players to direct the course of any battles that take place.
Empire: Total War features approximately fifty 18th century factions; however, only eleven of the most powerful and influential factions of the era are playable at the beginning. In western Europe, the main factions are Great Britain, France, the United Provinces, Sweden and Spain, while eastern Europe is represented by Prussia, Austria, Russia and Poland–Lithuania. In the Middle East, the Ottoman Empire is depicted as a dominating faction for Islam, while the Maratha Confederacy and Mughal Empire are the major powers on the Indian subcontinent.
The main campaign of Empire: Total War involves a player choosing a faction and moving to forge an empire across the 18th century world. Each faction controls various historical provinces, each with a central town and a port if they are coastal settlements. The player can produce armies and navies to take and defend provinces by military means, or adopt diplomacy and politics to make advances in the game. In addition, players can use economics and religion to their advantage, as well as clandestine means such as espionage and assassination.The campaign mode is turn-based, allowing the player to attend to all needs of their faction before ending their turn and allowing the artificial intelligence to make all other factions' moves. Each turn represents six months.

tl;dr: A very complex game of Risk.

I think most of you know Empire: Total War well enough, perhaps even have it, so a quickly copy-pasted explanation of wikipedia will do.
I'm planning to do a let's play of this game, which means that I will play the game and report about it in a ( hopefully ) funny and interesting way. However, you, the community, will also be able to do something! Advice and even decisions will be up to you!

First of all, I do not know yet which faction to use. I have played with every single one of them before but the Ottoman Empire, Sweden and France. I guess the Ottoman Empire would be a good challenge to play.

The difficulty will be on HARD.

Also, I need ministers. A minister of navy, justice, finance, diplomacy and military affairs. Depending with which faction we are playing, you'll have a lot or nothing to do. ( Austria has no ports and thus no navy at the start for example. ) If we are a republic, you'll be a happy minister, but you'll get changed by someone else every once and a while. If we are an absolute monarchy, be prepared to suck up to the king a lot. :D
Also, in-game characters die after so many turns, so everyone will have the chance to be a minister at one point.

I fear for the bugyness of the game a bit though. Sometimes the game will crash when ending the turn for no reason, so I'll have to save a lot.

Ministers

Minister of diplomacy: Servant Corps
Talk, bribe, scheme, plot!
Minister of finances: Boksi
Raise those taxes!
Minister of war and religion: Frelock
Keep the borders secure!
Minister of naval affairs: woose1
Keep the seas ours!
Minister of subterfuge and assassinations: Emperor_Jonathan
We have ways to make you talk!
Minister of justice and research: Aqizzar
Keep the peasantry shackled!

A quick rundown;

Great Britain; is easy to defend in Europe and has colonies in America.
France; has colonies in America, but will have to focus a lot in Europe too. Rather all-roundish.
Spain; has a lot of colonies and a lot of land in Europe, but it's all rather spread out.
The United Provinces; starts with a single province in Europe, America and India. They are quite rich, but they take some time to start rolling with. Very diplomatic and trade focused.
Sweden; Rather powerful from the beginning, but is bound to get in to war quickly with Denmark, Russia and/or Poland-Lithuania. Diplomatic and war focused.
Russia; Big, but surrounded by enemies and needs to develop a lot of land first if it wants to maintain a large army. War focused.
Poland-Lithuania; protected by Russia, but there will be a lot of tension and probably war at some point against Prussia and Austria. Rather hard to survive with. War and diplomatic focused.
Austria; Starts off strong and has many easy pickings around it. No ports at start though. WAR WAR WAR focused. Oh, and diplomatic too.
Ottoman Empire; Big, but hard to maintain. Are technologically somewhat backwards versus their European rivals. Trade and war focused. |||
Prussia; Starts off with two provinces that are unconnected. Has a strong army at start though. Is bound to fight Poland-Lithuania. Very war focused. Has trouble getting allies, next to the small German states.
Maratha Confederacy; Starts off with a few provinces in India, but in a very hostile area. The Mughal Empire to their north is at war with them from the start, and Mysore and Portugal ( both have 1 province in the area ) will attack the Confederacy in the beginning. They tend to have some financial troubles in the beginning.
War focused!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 08:54:16 am by Asheron »

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile

Don't care much about factions, but I nominate myself for minister of finance and volunteer Aqizzar for minister of justice.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No population will dare to revolt with a chin that powerful in the government.

Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

FoboslC

I take minister of diplomacy.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

Apparently I've already been committed to this.  Advising on your actions, in a game I've never played.

Yeah sure, I'm in.  I'll check it out some more after I get back from class.  Anything in particular I should know, or will all relevant information be explained for me?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apparently I've already been committed to this.  Advising on your actions, in a game I've never played.

Yeah sure, I'm in.  I'll check it out some more after I get back from class.  Anything in particular I should know, or will all relevant information be explained for me?
Well, a minister of justice will have to make sure the people stay content and generally not revolt. You do this by assigning how much we should spend in militia and building things that keep the people happy. I'll explain most of the stuff when we actually start, as some things are different for some factions.
And don't worry, most stuff is rather logical.
You can compare the game to a very complex game of Risk.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 05:00:25 pm by Asheron »

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile

I'd be willing to be minister of war.  Though I've never played Empire, I've played Rome and Medieval 2, so I know a little bit about the Total War series.

So can I be like the senate in Rome:Total War, and demand that you take settlements ridiculously far away from you whilst simultaneously declaring war on a civilization that you'd rather not have as your enemy?

Also, how skilled of a general are you?  Can you win most engagements if you fight them yourself, or do you usually just let the auto-combat take care of it, as you have little skill in that area?
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd be willing to be minister of war.  Though I've never played Empire, I've played Rome and Medieval 2, so I know a little bit about the Total War series.

So can I be like the senate in Rome:Total War, and demand that you take settlements ridiculously far away from you whilst simultaneously declaring war on a civilization that you'd rather not have as your enemy?

Also, how skilled of a general are you?  Can you win most engagements if you fight them yourself, or do you usually just let the auto-combat take care of it, as you have little skill in that area?
Well, you can be like that pesky senate, sure. As long as you serve the country's imperialistic needs.
I would think of myself as a rather good general.
I win most engagements rather decisively against the AI ( which is still somewhat poor ), and I'll be doing all the battles in this Let's Play personally, since I find auto-combat to be like cheating, especially in Empire ( I very rarely have kill ratio's of 50 - 1, but not THAT frequently ).
Armies are quite different in this game though. Cavalry is still important, but less than in previous games , and cannons are more important now ( I don't use them too much though ).

Also remember that a lot of the important buildings are now located on the countryside, so pillaging is now a lot more harmful. You can basically cut off all trade, stop all research and bring the population to rebelling.

Also, the AI is no longer asshat retarded when it comes to diplomacy, and will NOT attack you for no reason at all. Most of the time, they declare war when they have a reason, like when a new king comes to the throne ( a despute of succession they call it ). Protectorates and such are a lot more common ( you can bribe some of the micronations to become your protectorate ), and regions are now far more used. The AI is also more likely to ask for cease fire or to accept peace, even if it comes at a price, when they are losing.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 05:01:51 pm by Asheron »

FoboslC

Whta about United Provinces.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Whta about United Provinces.
I'm willing to, but I can't stand the terrible Dutch voices
No, the United Provinces are good but the first turns tend to be boring with them.
Seriously though, the Dutch voice acting is TERRIBLE.

United Provines: +1 vote
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 05:21:34 pm by Asheron »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play - Empire: Total War. Ministers and faction advice required!
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 05:23:36 pm »

Voting for the Ottoman Empire.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 05:28:31 pm »

Voting for the Ottoman Empire.
+1 vote for the Ottoman Empire

Oh, I guess I'll vote too. Another +1 for the Ottoman Empire.

FoboslC

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 05:30:14 pm »

I switch my bote to Ottoman too :P

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 06:29:31 pm »

I guess the minister of navy can also be the minister of sabotaging and subterfuge, or else nobody will take him. Perhaps I might make Aqizzar the minister of research too, because there isn't THAT much to do for a justice minister.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 06:32:54 pm »

Ooh! Can I join? Minister of military relations?

And I vote for Ottoman.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12