Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126691 times)

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1125 on: February 17, 2010, 01:00:48 pm »

my first embark, since i refuse to call it my first fortress.
i thought: "hey, a terrifying ocean, cool!"
The zombie whales were of other opinion. they ate my 7 starting dwarves within 2 minutes, i was almost done smelting the tetrahedrite by then...
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: February 17, 2010, 01:11:53 pm »

Engraving the duke's room to make the little bugger shut up. My engraver engraves about a dozen pictures of one of his former engravings...

Also, I threw a goblin local leader into magma, so no sieges for a while, unless I manage to piss off the elves enough... My long-term goal is to capture the kings of every non-dwarven civ and put them into a zoo in my king's bedroom. Muhuhuhahaha!

How is that a facepalm?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: February 17, 2010, 01:41:10 pm »

How is that a facepalm?

Just unsubscribe from this pointless and tedious thread, and be done with it. That's what I'm doing after this post.

EDIT: Joke's on me, as I can't figure out how to unsubscribe. Well, not reading it is still an option.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 01:43:28 pm by assimilateur »

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: February 17, 2010, 03:08:15 pm »

In one fort there was a GCS running around that would kill off random dwarves.  I'd get a message saying "Urist McRedshirt has died" and I'd want to forbid all the dead dwarf's clothes to make sure the other dwarves didn't run into the spider trying to grab them.  (I did kill the GCS...eventually.)

The problem was that I had no idea where the dwarf's corpse was. I would have to hunt through 5 z-levels of a cliff forbidding stuff before I got the "Urist McHauler has canceled job" messages.  SO annoying.

...UNTIL I figured out a useful trick: z, Stocks screen, go down to "corpses" and press Tab to change the mode to display individual corpses.  Then find "Urist McRedshirt's corpse" and press the key to zoom in on it.  Presto, right to the corpse! :o

Isn't there a hotkey to zoom to an announcement?

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: February 17, 2010, 03:23:00 pm »

How is that a facepalm?

Just unsubscribe from this pointless and tedious thread, and be done with it. That's what I'm doing after this post.

EDIT: Joke's on me, as I can't figure out how to unsubscribe. Well, not reading it is still an option.

The facepalm (HAH see what I did there?) is on you... I believe there is no unsubscribe function in the forums at all :-)  You've got to really make sure you care about a thread before you subscribe..   It'll follow you around like zombie carp to the slaughter.

Morgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: February 17, 2010, 03:24:30 pm »

You click the Notify button again, and it unsubscribes you.
Because it's so amusing to hear stories of the last recruit, pressganged into defending the fortress, making the critical shot that saves all the battle-hardened veterans... then going crazy because the cats have filled the dining room with miasma.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: February 17, 2010, 04:06:04 pm »

You don't explicitly subscribe, instead a subscription is implied when you reply (at least with my settings, perhaps that can be changed somewhere).

You click the Notify button again, and it unsubscribes you.

Thanks for the help. I was just gonna ignore it like I ignore another "subscribed" but terribly spammy thread, but this is even better.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: February 17, 2010, 07:38:31 pm »

How is that a facepalm?

I'm not even subscribed to this thread.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: February 17, 2010, 10:01:19 pm »

You can subscribe to threads?!

/facepalm

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #1134 on: February 18, 2010, 01:19:23 am »

Isn't there a hotkey to zoom to an announcement?
Is there? I glanced through the help and the wiki and I couldn't find one. If you know of one, please share!
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: February 18, 2010, 11:26:46 am »

Just now, I lost 19 goblins to a now rather obvious, and stupid mistake. Playing with goblins, I decided to make a tower on my own, because hey, goblins LOVE their towers.

What's a tower without MAGMA pits? A bad one. So, I made one. 15 levels of magma goodness. However, during the construction, I discovered that the tunnels I intended to use to slowly fill up that bad boy with magma were hot while on the way to the pipe.

Turns out, there was a magma pool. Well, let's tap that and fill the pit partly, although it IS a big pool, maybe it'll do!

So a channel was made, and the magma began a slow drain.

A while later, I got an announcement of a peasant cancelling cleaning. Reason? Too injured.

Is the magma flowing? Yes it was. Did I forget to seal access to the stairs that led to the now-magma dripping area?

Yes I did.

The peasant was dead within seconds, and I quickly ordered the stairs to be replaced with ones leading up, so no one else would go down there.

Then I read about the clothier cancelling the same task, for the same reason. I zoom in, and by that point, he was already inside.

In my barracks.

That I still had set as a meeting zone.

Before I knew it, goblins were burning and running like burning and running goblins near dwarf fortresses.

The current fatality amount is, what, 11 to magma and fire, and the rest were all due to the tantrums. There's also a very miserable baby in the tower, I'm just waiting until it hurls itself down some pit or another.

At least my dining hall engravings got good.

"The goblin is burning."
"The goblin is making a plaintive gesture."
"The goblin is striking down the goblin. The goblin is laughing."

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: February 18, 2010, 12:26:07 pm »

So you now have a positively demonic set of engravings?  Awesome!  When does your civ leader arrive?  I'm sure he'll enjoy the decorations!
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: February 18, 2010, 12:55:19 pm »

Don't think you can zoom to announcements yet.  It's a next version thing.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Calibur

• Bay Watcher
  • You all still have Zoidberg.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: February 18, 2010, 01:17:02 pm »

Embarking twice.

Then realising I hadn't sorted out the items, ergo: no mining picks.

:-\

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: February 18, 2010, 05:45:33 pm »

There's the "notify" kind of subscribe, and there's the "show new replies to your posts" kind.  The latter you're stuck with.  Forever.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 729