Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126667 times)

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1305 on: March 23, 2010, 04:58:14 pm »

Facepalm waiting to happen:

Problem: wounded dorfs needed water.
Solution: open a floodgate so that water can fall from the brook, into a cistern.
Problem: pressurized water flowing out of the well.
Solution: close the floodgate:
Problem: the lever for the floodgate is right next to the well. The well is overflowing...
Solution: pray... hey, it worked! Only a little bit around the well flooded, not enough to cause problems with pathing.
Problem: the cistern is very small...

Fun!
Solution to all the above: Well fed by depressurized water from river/brook. My biggest problem with that system is routing the water that far down. I only have a floodgate attached to that system so I can clean it all out when I need to, especially when the river in question is underground and towercaps grow in the plumbing.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: March 23, 2010, 06:01:41 pm »

towercaps grow in the plumbing.
Tower caps won't grow on roads. You can (h)ide the roads afterwards if you want to see the flow levels.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: March 23, 2010, 11:57:34 pm »

Tower caps won't grow on roads. You can (h)ide the roads afterwards if you want to see the flow levels.

Hmm... better ask this before I tap my underground river and it's too late...

Smoothing also prevents tower caps, right?  I've smoothed all the pipes for my upcoming waterworks, but I don't have actual roads down.  Should I go dismantle all my floodgates and lay down roads through all my channels to prevent tower cap blockages?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: March 24, 2010, 01:30:49 am »

I don't believe that smoothing will prevent tower-caps. Engraving certainly doesn't, as evidenced by the 'a *engraver* has been defaced by the impertinent vegetation' or whatever-it-is announcement.

Apparently, empty stockpiles will also prevent towercaps, if you feel like not pulling down your floodgates, and don't mind a fairly minor exploit.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: March 24, 2010, 05:50:41 am »

It's annoying to have to wait for my mechanics to get off their duffs to travel from the control room all the way across the fortress to the floodgates, only to go on break when installing the mechanisms in the control room lever, forcing someone to go collect the previous mechanism to go do it all over again, but for the sake of a "neat" fortress, it's not that big a deal.

Anyway, fortunately, that saves me from a future facepalm entry again.  (And this information really should be on the wiki entry for tower caps...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: March 24, 2010, 11:38:09 am »

It's annoying to have to wait for my mechanics to get off their duffs to travel from the control room all the way across the fortress to the floodgates, only to go on break when installing the mechanisms in the control room lever, forcing someone to go collect the previous mechanism to go do it all over again, but for the sake of a "neat" fortress, it's not that big a deal.

Anyway, fortunately, that saves me from a future facepalm entry again.  (And this information really should be on the wiki entry for tower caps...)

temporary stockpile of mechanisms near the floodgate. it's the best solution.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: March 24, 2010, 01:08:57 pm »

Hmm... better ask this before I tap my underground river and it's too late...

Smoothing also prevents tower caps, right?  I've smoothed all the pipes for my upcoming waterworks, but I don't have actual roads down.  Should I go dismantle all my floodgates and lay down roads through all my channels to prevent tower cap blockages?
I don't believe smoothed flooring will do the job, though it usually cleans up mud IIRC. Personally, I like having TCs grow in the plumbing; means extra TC farming space, after all. I'd already planned to put cage traps in the plumbing for catching foo-men, cave crocs, and whatever other animals invaded my plumbing, so being able to clean up tower caps is a handy bonus.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: March 24, 2010, 01:27:58 pm »

I don't believe smoothed flooring will do the job, though it usually cleans up mud IIRC. Personally, I like having TCs grow in the plumbing; means extra TC farming space, after all. I'd already planned to put cage traps in the plumbing for catching foo-men, cave crocs, and whatever other animals invaded my plumbing, so being able to clean up tower caps is a handy bonus.

And what if it blocks a flood of water in a place I don't want it, or keeps a floodgate open, requiring I send a dwarf down to chop down a towercap, only to certainly drown in the onrush of water?

I don't do sacrificial pawns in my games.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: March 24, 2010, 01:51:29 pm »

do more floodgates then...or get over your strange attachment to dwarven life.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1314 on: March 24, 2010, 02:35:47 pm »

Considering your avatar states "I'll kill your family," I find this oddly ironic.   ;D

KG

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: March 24, 2010, 03:15:56 pm »

Considering your avatar states "I'll kill your family," I find this oddly ironic.   ;D

I saw someone with that same avatar in teamfortress2 the other day too. What is it from?

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: March 24, 2010, 05:51:34 pm »

And what if it blocks a flood of water in a place I don't want it, or keeps a floodgate open, requiring I send a dwarf down to chop down a towercap, only to certainly drown in the onrush of water?

The floodgate I'd forgotten about, but if it blocks the plumbing anywhere else, I close the floodgate(s) at the river, drain the system entirely, and send a dwarf with an axe to cut it down. With the floodgates closed, the flood is unpressurized, I think, and less of a danger to my dwarf. I also don't hold with sacrificing minions to solve problems.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: March 24, 2010, 07:01:25 pm »

KG

Yes, but I'll spare my family. (And so did Kohaku herself.)...   and I'll spare my dwarves, too. What's so hard to understand about that?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: March 25, 2010, 11:12:39 am »

KG

Yes, but I'll spare my family. (And so did Kohaku herself.)...   and I'll spare my dwarves, too. What's so hard to understand about that?

AHEM...

"It's not sadistic torture, it's SCIENCE!"
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: March 25, 2010, 11:19:57 am »

AHEM...

"It's not sadistic torture, it's SCIENCE!"

SCIENCE is fun for the whole family! Your point?

Even my experimental hot lab forts are fairly nice and well defended.  And all the injuries healed, even if someone's pet cat DID get cryo-boiled by some exploding experiments. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 729