Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126719 times)

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1410 on: April 08, 2010, 04:47:09 pm »

So my miner gets both knees broken when he's mauled by a yeti...

Looking at his profile, it turns out he likes crutches!  I wonder if he'll still like them once this is over...

So you like crutches do ya? What if i BREAK YOUR LEGS! HOW'D YOU LIKE EM HOW?!?! HUH DWARF?!? NOT SO IN LOVE WITH CRUTCHES NOW ARE YA?!? AHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

That was you btw.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Trowzers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: April 08, 2010, 06:19:14 pm »

Playing with the keybindings and accidentally setting the 'Leave screen' button to 'k'.

Which means everytime you try to change the keybinding, you have to hit 'k' to change it... and of course it leaves the screen.

(Yes, I did work out how to fix it... but definitely a facepalm moment!)

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: April 08, 2010, 08:55:44 pm »

Accidentally flooding my ENTIRE fort because when you channel, it digs the wall under it and I channeled right next to the river, right next to my food storage area...
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: April 09, 2010, 12:00:51 am »

I was beginning to set up camp in the first cave system I had cleared out. Masons were building walls, miners were clearing out space, woodcutters were cutting down trees. I then look at the units list and see two new GCS's on there that weren't there a few minutes ago. They both decided to de-cloak at the same time and tear apart my dorfs while the military was rushing the 40 z-level staircase. By the time they got there, there was just a 1-legged miner and a no-armed mason left alive. 5 of the 6 died then I got a goblin ambush. No more fort.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: April 09, 2010, 12:15:11 am »

I have only flooded my fort by digging laterally into an aquifer ONCE. And I never intend to do it again.

I don't think this counts per the OP, but I did a facepalm when that skeletal dragon, knowing that it couldn't suffocate, tried to enter my sealed-off fort by swimming in through the volcano. It died, and I didn't even get to give its skull as a gift to my dungeon master. Gave the fire imps something to look at, though.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Whisp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: April 09, 2010, 02:34:19 am »

Killing and butchering fire imps;

"ooo a fire imp, I will butcher it"
"Noooo! Fire! The fire has spread to my food barrels full of Fat. More fire!!!"
death
death
death
"Ahh its under control, let rebuild"
"ooo a fire imp, I will butcher it"

Repeat 3 x

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: April 09, 2010, 01:26:47 pm »

You know, if you let them "cool off" a bit before killing them, there won't be !!Fire Imp fat!! in your butcher's workshop.

They have [HOMEOTHERM:some-reasonable-number-that-my-lazy-self-forgot]. It's less than 10100. The magma heats them up to a point where their fat (the only non-magma-safe part of them) is generated upon butchering at a temperature where it instantly ignites.

Cage them and give them a year in your animal stockpile and everything will be 8)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Genkora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: April 09, 2010, 09:44:32 pm »

I told my dwarves to build some fortifications on top of a wall.  Unfortunately, I told them to make the fortifications after I told them to make the floor,  my masons got trapped on top (could no longer reach the stairs because fortifications were in the way), and I had to allow some random dwarves to do masonry to save the guys on top.  No one died, but one almost died of thirst.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: April 10, 2010, 11:23:22 am »

I made a stairway one z level above my enterence and then proceded to make a floor where I placed a couple statues. After making a room from one of the statues for my annual party for dwarfmas, my dwarfs of course then proceded to PARTY. Unfortunatly at this time a goblin ambush occured that had a grand total of 5 bowmen with plenty of arrows.  They proceaded to fire dozens of arrows at my unarmored party dwarfs injuring dozens and killing several.

It will forever be known to me as the bloodiest dwarvmas party Iv ever had. This is including the time I let louse a caged untamed dragon in the middle of my dining hall. (40d, and my champions quickly zerged it too death)
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #1419 on: April 10, 2010, 01:35:56 pm »

Learning that water under pressure flows really fast.

"Okay, that dwarf will just run into that flooded bedroom, grab a pick, run out. No big deal, only a little water-"
*WHOOSH*

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: April 10, 2010, 04:43:24 pm »

You know, if you let them "cool off" a bit before killing them, there won't be !!Fire Imp fat!! in your butcher's workshop.

They have [HOMEOTHERM:some-reasonable-number-that-my-lazy-self-forgot]. It's less than 10100. The magma heats them up to a point where their fat (the only non-magma-safe part of them) is generated upon butchering at a temperature where it instantly ignites.

Cage them and give them a year in your animal stockpile and everything will be 8)
Horray! thank you!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: April 10, 2010, 11:11:45 pm »

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 08:44:35 am by Urist Imiknorris »

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: April 11, 2010, 12:46:36 am »

I bought a good hundred food from a caravan to save my starving fortress and stored it outside, as my storage chambers weren't ready yet.

...Then I learnt that DF2010 has Buzzards, which are like Raccoons...which FLY. They proceeded to fly off with half of my food.
...Then I learnt that DF2010 has nerfed wrestlers, so while my only Recruit was wrestling a single Rhesus Macaque, the rest of the pack made off with the other half of my food.

And to add insult to impending death via starvation, the last Rhesus Macaque stole my only free axe, which my recruit had been on his way to pick up before being interrupted by a monkey he only killed a good 10 minutes later.

Whisp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: April 11, 2010, 03:02:46 am »

Brilliant, now we can all have fire imp burgers!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: April 11, 2010, 08:51:43 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 729