Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130708 times)

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1575 on: April 30, 2010, 05:15:12 am »

All three of my high master sworddwarfs have gone to the strange mood with request of shells. I'm playing on freezing biome where river never unfreezes. All of them have gone berserk & killed by bunch of wrestlers, that i got as my current military. Please, no forgotten beasts or sieges for a couple of years ;(
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: April 30, 2010, 03:42:48 pm »

All three of my high master sworddwarfs have gone to the strange mood with request of shells. I'm playing on freezing biome where river never unfreezes. All of them have gone berserk & killed by bunch of wrestlers, that i got as my current military. Please, no forgotten beasts or sieges for a couple of years ;(

Better arm those wrestlers or you'll have another facepalm moment soon. Wrestlers aren't overpowered anymore. Even a Legendary wrestler will have trouble taking out an armored goblin. I learned that the facepalm way.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: April 30, 2010, 04:28:58 pm »

Just had one of my own. I have a long bridge made of floor tiles, with a retractable bridge in the center. I figured it was unsafe to leave the sides open where a dwarf could be knocked off into the river, so I ordered safety walls to be built. But, I forgot that walls built hanging off a bridge can't support themselves. I lost two dwarfs when the safety wall collapsed.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

warlockd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: May 01, 2010, 04:36:40 pm »

I built an artificial tank of water a few levels down and was building a well to it.  Being my first time, I thought a dwarf could survive a one space fall to water.

I miss caculated how fast the tub filled and it was like a 4 Z fall..   My nice level 10 miner at the bottom of the well with a steel pickaxe:P

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1579 on: May 01, 2010, 05:26:49 pm »

I wanted to make some copper war axes, so I dug out a vein of cassiterite and had them smelt it.  (No iron on the map, and apparently nobody able to trade with me, so I'm desperate for decent metal.)  It was only after they'd done that that I remembered that cassiterite is tin, not copper.  Tin war axes will not work quite so well.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: May 01, 2010, 08:56:18 pm »

That's why I'd change all the names of my ores to "____ Ore".

Also, I've gotten a new artifact:  a dwarven throng.  :-[

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

gesangbaer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: May 02, 2010, 03:26:13 am »

Double face palm. Starting a new region, planning carefully. Looking at my dorfs to see who should do what, only I get a surprise ...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is this supposed to happen?

-edit-
... All of them are this way ...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 03:29:08 am by gesangbaer »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: May 02, 2010, 07:35:13 am »

Double face palm. Starting a new region, planning carefully. Looking at my dorfs to see who should do what, only I get a surprise ...

Is this supposed to happen?

-edit-
... All of them are this way ...
Check Civ Entry... You might have made it possible to play that odd race in fortress mode if you had done so in an attempt to make them playable in Adventure...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Egregius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: May 02, 2010, 10:13:15 am »

I built an artificial tank of water a few levels down and was building a well to it.  Being my first time, I thought a dwarf could survive a one space fall to water.

I miss caculated how fast the tub filled and it was like a 4 Z fall..   My nice level 10 miner at the bottom of the well with a steel pickaxe:P

Same here yesterdaynight. I channeled 1 tile, making a nice little ramp so the miner could get in to finish punching through the ceiling of my water-reservoir. Made my furnace operator/miner dig the next tile, thinking 2 levels of water is enough to break his fall. Well, it did break him however, making him drown :(

Another one yesterday: had my first siege ever with goblins riding mounts. Never got beakdogs or any of the such, but now I had a vile force of darkness showing up (just as the elf merchants were coming inside my fort towards the TD), consisting of 14 goblin bowmen, and a gobbo maceman riding a jabberer.

Now I started this fort because I got facinated by the idea of having your fort emerge from the side of a canyon, and I had found a map with a brook cutting through a hill. Not really a canyon but close enough. My entrance was 1z above the brook in the side of the hill, and the only acces-way was a stairs from my entrance upward to the top of the hill. I realised while playing I could make the stairs in the middle above the brook (1 square away from the hills on both sides of the brook), to be accessed only by a lowered drawbridge.

So I tell everyone to go inside, and raise the drawbridge. Safe, even for a building-destroying monster, right? No, I forgot to remove the original stairs connecting my entrance to the top of the hill.. *facepalm*
(and my cagetraps weren't reloaded yet due to shortage of cages)

So I rush to deconstruct, while the goblins are wading through the brook to get to the other side where they can reach the stairs. "I hope they send someone out able to take an arrow or two..". So finally, to deconstruct the 2 pieces of stairs, out rush my legendary blacksmith, and a child. *minor facepalm*

Long story short, they don't manage to deconstruct in time, the blacksmith running inside after taking an arrow in the head, and the child fleeing...away from the stairs into the landscape. *minor facepalm*
I couldn't leave the child to her fate, so I stationed my military near the entrance just in case, but the child runs back for the stairs, and TAKES 64 ARROWS BEFORE DIEING (about 16 got lodged in her wounds). She would've been rich from all the silver arrows sticking out of her. Interesting to note: she got dabbling wrestler/dodger/fighter skills from being shot.

Oh, and one military guy couldn't stand the screams probably, so he rushed out the door while his buddies were still picking up their equipment *major facepalm*

In the end, I send everyone out to save the first guy, but 4 of my guys end up dead (training axes don't do much damage), the jabberer and the gobbo maceman luckily trapped in some not-yet-used-up cagetraps along with 3 bowmen and the rest beaten off. Luckily, the militia captain was equipped properly, and he did his re-enactment of the Monty Python black knight sketch, with the goblins as black knights.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:10:54 am by Egregius »
Every time I see the letter c I think of cats, then genocide, then delicious stew.

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: May 02, 2010, 12:14:03 pm »

You can do that? I really should look into this modding thing... just afraid i'll f it up :)

Also, I just now found out (after about 20 forts) that you can use shift+enter to assign all the stones of a type to make a big floor. I'd been ramming the enter key for months......

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: May 02, 2010, 03:16:11 pm »

You can do that? I really should look into this modding thing... just afraid i'll f it up :)

Also, I just now found out (after about 20 forts) that you can use shift+enter to assign all the stones of a type to make a big floor. I'd been ramming the enter key for months......
The "<foo> ore" is easy enough; look in the raw/objects folder, open up matgloss_stone_mineral.txt, and find the tags [NAME:<bar>] in each stone's entry. The string after [NAME:] is what the game calls each stone at the user interface; if you change the name for the stone HEMATITE from [NAME:hematite] to [NAME:iron ore], the game will refer to the three iron ores limonite, magnetite, and iron ore.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: May 02, 2010, 04:26:08 pm »

The "<foo> ore" is easy enough; look in the raw/objects folder, open up matgloss_stone_mineral.txt, and find the tags [NAME:<bar>] in each stone's entry. The string after [NAME:] is what the game calls each stone at the user interface; if you change the name for the stone HEMATITE from [NAME:hematite] to [NAME:iron ore], the game will refer to the three iron ores limonite, magnetite, and iron ore.
Note that this is true for 40d#. For a 0.31.#-version, you should look in inorganic_stone_mineral.txt for [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:*****]. And obviously replace the asterisks with whatever you want.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: May 02, 2010, 05:34:28 pm »

Thank you both :) no more diggin tons of tin for me!

Kraftwerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: May 02, 2010, 05:36:49 pm »

Had a great fort going, but I had forgotten to create a millitary, I dig down into a cave, and a cave croc murders everyone. Stupid kraftwerk :C

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: May 02, 2010, 06:26:17 pm »

So I started fort, right at a cave, with a river. The indigenous people (a Minotaur) started out safely locked on the other side of the river.

So I felt pretty safe. And then I noticed the blind cave bear. I pretended not to notice him at first, and then he killed 2 dogs and a useless migrant.

Then he chased a horse around the map for a season. I'm hoping he'll leave me alone for a while now.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 729