Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130980 times)

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1680 on: May 14, 2010, 01:03:13 pm »

On page 112, here.

Also.

Thinking I might have fixed a big with an elf sticking around in my depot, I deconstructed it and smiled as he ran off, though raised my brow when I saw ALL of the merchants' stuff there.

The next round of traders I get? Dorf traders...and the merchants say they have left, but there's a whole bunch of them sticking around my depot. What.
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: May 14, 2010, 11:53:13 pm »

Just tried to set up an underground magma complex; was going to be pretty great, with pumps, fortifications between the pipe and the forges, all the trimmings. Had dug out an area in preparation for channelling out the blocks and sending magma down the pipes, when a miner complained that he could not dig because an area was dangerous terrain. Apparently I'd forgotten that magma can flow diagonally through mined-out squares. I then save-scummed because goddammit, I'm not going to lose a fort to something that stupid.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 11:59:29 pm by darthbob88 »

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: May 15, 2010, 08:38:04 am »

Not so much a facepalm as a discovery. when building something (anything) from blocks/stone/metal bars/... a light green tile means it's passable and a dark green tile means it's impassable.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

languard

• Bay Watcher
  • Meep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: May 15, 2010, 04:29:01 pm »

Relatively tame, but here's my face palm moments.

I'm a new player, so I've been watching captnduck's tutorials.  Dug around for some soil, built a farm plot, and promptly started cursing the dwarfs for refusing to plant anything.  After much frustration I quit and do some research, and find out that I was watching the old video *facepalm*

OK, watch the correct tutorial for farming.  OK, dig and channel water, I got that.  And hey I can designate ramps to be removed, so I don't need to bother with this complicated lever/flood gate thingy.  Because, well, channels produce ramps, not slopes.  Right?  I believe the more experienced players are now laughing at me :P  So I set everything up for two nice farm rooms, including a drainage area, and tap into the brook running through the map.  Wait a moment, then try to remove the slope.  Discover that yes, I really did need that flood gate and I now have two 11x11 rooms filled with 7/7 water.  *facepalm*

New map, I dig a central staircase down and hit a cavern fairly quick.  It's filled with nice mud, and a grazer thingy.  Hey, it's a grazer, no worries.  A little later I start getting blocked messages, and notice that the silly thing went up to the surface, and is blocking my one tile wide hall leading to the stairs.  Try to get a squad setup and fail misserably, so I decide to try and dig around it.  Apparent this ticked it off, because I suddenly had a dead miner and woodcutter with their heads ripped off.  By a grazing animal.  *facepalm*
He's now moping around, doing Armok knows what. As far as I can tell he's just going to stay there, in the party room. Forever.
Given our relationship thus far, I can genuinely say the party has just begun for me. - Captain Mayday,

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: May 15, 2010, 05:41:59 pm »

I accidentally my engraver down a 10-z pit. Poor bugger.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: May 15, 2010, 07:47:52 pm »

Forgot a word there ethereal. Dropped, was it?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: May 15, 2010, 08:10:16 pm »

I actually think it's a meme, I think the proper response is something along the lines of "really? The whole thing?"  But I'm not sure I'm right.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ZapRowsdower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: May 15, 2010, 08:12:15 pm »

Been playing DF for a while and I JUST found out that the "U" key shows all the units on the map. That saves me time from having to find EVERY dwarf ONE BY ONE.

Awesome facepalm moment: The first time I'm playing the new DF I get a popup telling me that Ive found an underground cavern! HOORAY! I check on my miners to found that they had BOTH fallen 10 Z-Levels to there explodey deaths, after finding the new cavern...

I sat there with my head on the desk for a bit, while my brother laughed at me. Ohhh yea, that was a good day.

-ZR

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: May 15, 2010, 08:16:06 pm »

*urist cracks open the ground underneath him while mining and falls into the cavern*
Miner #1(While falling) I have discovered a caverrrrnnnn! *splat*
Miner #2: No! Urist! I'm coming to save ya buddy! *breaks open the ground underneath him and also falls to his death*

The best friends are laid to rest with bodyparts intermingled.  Because they were great friends til the end.  And because nobody could be arsed to figure out what part went to what body.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:18:48 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ZapRowsdower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: May 15, 2010, 08:27:28 pm »

Miner #1(While falling) I have discovered a caverrrrnnnn! *splat*

Funny thing is that after that my brother and I acted out there final moments alive.

Miner 1:This cavern...is...AWESOME!
Miner 2:I know! Wait 'till we get back to tell the other guys what we've found. They'll love it!
:SPLORT:

Urist McGamer cancels DF: Facepalming too hard...

-ZR

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: May 15, 2010, 09:13:16 pm »

I actually think it's a meme, I think the proper response is something along the lines of "really? The whole thing?"  But I'm not sure I'm right.

Indeed. I'm pretty sure the original is something like this:

Guys I accidentally a whole bottle of coke what should I do?

Really? The whole thing?

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: May 15, 2010, 09:43:23 pm »

It's actually

"Guys, I accidentally 97 mb of .rar files. Is this dangerous?"

I don't remember the response. I imagine the whole bottle of coke is a corruption, because those 'channers are almost as depraved as DF players are bloodthirsty.

Soeaking of DF ingrained habits/thoughts, I assumed you meant coke as in smelting fuel at first.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

jakeb89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: May 16, 2010, 02:06:14 am »

At one point in one of my fortresses in the new version, I somehow forgot that water does have water pressure.  I decided to dig a second well about 5 z levels underground, right into a horizontal extension off of the 1x1 vertical pipeline of water leading down into my fortress (its original purpose was that it had floodgates separating it from the main halls every few z-levels in case I had to drench the place due to fire or whatever.)

My entire fortress under that level started flooding, and I didn't noticed until I got an "X cancels give water: dangerous terrain."  No one died, but the poor guy in the hospital on level -10 or so was in a room surrounded by 7z water hallways.  I did some finagling to dig a dry path to that room, but eventually decided it was better to just savescum since I had like 10 z-levels filled with water.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: May 16, 2010, 07:57:29 am »

Thinking that water would break a puppies fall, I threw one down into the cavern to explore it, there is blood and chunks everywhere.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: May 16, 2010, 10:55:30 am »

Surface tension killed the cat dog.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 729