Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130716 times)

Twisted Mansions

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress: Where Failing is rewarding
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1830 on: June 10, 2010, 05:10:31 am »

Lol well, I had a pretty big facepalm moment just now. I somehow accidently forbid my dwarves from harvesting food and was wondering why they werent collecting the crops and such, and this happened almost to the point of starvation until I found the problem. Ugh....
Dwarf Fortress: Where Epic Fail becomes Epic stories.

Geocat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: June 10, 2010, 05:42:21 pm »

So i started a new fortress awhile back and have been having a HELL of a time trying to get any sort of military working with the new military system,and failing hard, I ended up having to disband the entire military before they all tantram spiraled. They had No training except god damn wrestling, which I found out the hard way, is TOTALLY and COMPLETELY useless in the new versions, I mean, trained wrestlers cant even take down UNARMED guys it seems. and I cant for the life of me get them equiped.

So I just say to hell with the military until there's some bug fixes/ or I figure out how to work the damn thing.

So I make TONS and TONS of traps in the long and winding entrance to my fortress, and it seems to be going good, not a single goblin was able to get even past the halfway point of the trapped filled hall. And then something that I have personally never seen happen, or even knew that it was possible happens. kolbold ambush! I have never been ambushed by them before, ever. six kolbolds with little bows, kinda cute intil they promptly ended my fishing industry with a hail of surprisingly accurate little arrows. So I order my drawfs into their burrows, and then things get even worse, a drawf caravan arrives, while my fishing industry is being finished, and then THE CARAVAN IS AMBUSHED BY EVEN MORE  kobolds, this like six  kobold swords men and about 4 more bowmen, and for some reason, a human pikeman. So the caravan guards all charge, in, kill the human, the archers get a few lucky head shots and some guards go down, and then the caravan retreats off the map, and now both groups of kolbolds kinda meet up near my fortress entrance, I'm confident I have enough traps to take them all down.

*Facepalm*, like kolbold theifs they dont trigger traps it seems,I didnt even consider that (well I didnt know kobolds COULD ambush. and the entire kobolds force enters my fortress totally almost totally unhindered well somehow, 3 of them triggered cage traps. dont know how or why.

my last line of defense at least was mostly effective though, about half of my drawfs has a wardog. and when the kolbolds entered the burrow, about 30+ war dogs got real angry.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:37:27 pm by Geocat »

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: June 10, 2010, 07:56:16 pm »

have your dwarfs use Axes, and set them to inactive. remember to give them a barracks and set the barracks to let them train in it, as well as the other options.

While on inactive duty they will go there and train.

Dont use the kill command it doesnt always work, and move your dwarfs using s > select squad > m > click on location
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: June 10, 2010, 08:30:37 pm »

Embarked on top of a dragon. 'Nuff said.

style

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: June 11, 2010, 01:29:19 pm »

two words: irrigation system

I am just evacuating food and booze into the top level to avoid a total failure.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: June 11, 2010, 01:48:57 pm »

Went into challenge on 40d.

Preparing my sturdy dwarves to survive in tundra, with water deep away, and without immigrants [POPULATION_CAP:7]. Name of the fort: Sabrewinters (Astakath)

Everything neatly prepared, all points spend, needed skills spread amongst dwarves, every Plump Helmet of the heap counted, barrels of booze, wood and some helpful stuff, as well as bit of steel gear for a hammerdwarf (undead-infested hills around).

Embark.

So at start I say: "Go, proud miner Urist! Strike the Earth!"

Urist blinks '?' at me: "With what?"

*facepalm*
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

style

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: June 11, 2010, 01:58:08 pm »

Went into challenge on 40d.

Preparing my sturdy dwarves to survive in tundra, with water deep away, and without immigrants [POPULATION_CAP:7]. Name of the fort: Sabrewinters (Astakath)

Everything neatly prepared, all points spend, needed skills spread amongst dwarves, every Plump Helmet of the heap counted, barrels of booze, wood and some helpful stuff, as well as bit of steel gear for a hammerdwarf (undead-infested hills around).

Embark.

So at start I say: "Go, proud miner Urist! Strike the Earth!"

Urist blinks '?' at me: "With what?"

*facepalm*

So you can probably begin digging in late autumn, when the first caravan arrives. Given that your dwarfs don't die of hunger or thirst afore. Nice challenge. Maybe you have to kill 3 or 5 of your dwarfs to stretch the rations.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:07:05 pm by style »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: June 11, 2010, 02:08:24 pm »

If you have enough wood, you can melt the hammerdwarf's gear to make a pick.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: June 11, 2010, 02:36:03 pm »

The problem is, I had a choice:

Either steel battle gear or anvil. Yeah :P

But I have 30 logs, so I will make a hovel + beds + storage and somehow survive it. Does someone knows if distance from mountain home counts? Because I'm literally on the other side of the world.
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: June 11, 2010, 02:43:37 pm »

Hi!

I don't think distance to mountain homes has any effect. I usually settle in the biggest elven forest with contact to at least one more civ and then pick the dwarven civ for my home civ with the most settlements (I love history and trade). So, I sometimes do get a dwarven civ that is very far from where my fortress is - and the caravan in the first year always showed up.

Given the introduction text upon embark, I guess that caravan is hard-coded as it is mentioned explicitly.

I only had a small face-palm in my current fortress because I dug a down staircase below the central up/down staircase instead of an up staircase. So, now I have an ugly, useless down stair case below an up/down staircase leading down into thin air and a bent in my main stairwell as I had to dig a new up/down staircase to get an up staircase where I needed it.

Fortunately, this is only the surface connector part of the fortress, so the inconvenience is not that bad.

Deathworks

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: June 11, 2010, 02:48:38 pm »

Hmmm, I kinda already like that fortress.

Hammerdwarf just destroyed several skeletal groundhogs. I will have bones for crafts. Then i will get the pick from caravan.

Cool plan, we will see how long I will survive :3
SigFlags!

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: June 11, 2010, 02:49:47 pm »

You are aware that you can build a stone up-down stair on top of a carved-out down staircase?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: June 11, 2010, 03:33:00 pm »

But I have 30 logs, so I will make a hovel + beds + storage and somehow survive it. Does someone knows if distance from mountain home counts? Because I'm literally on the other side of the world.
Still doable, if harder. You should be able to get 4 bars and make an anvil, but that would really cut into your armor.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: June 11, 2010, 03:51:48 pm »

Still doable, if harder. You should be able to get 4 bars and make an anvil, but that would really cut into your armor.
How would you go about making an anvil without a forge?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: June 11, 2010, 04:11:53 pm »

Build it out of dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 729