Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130787 times)

Expurgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1875 on: June 16, 2010, 03:37:04 am »

This happened probably thirty seconds ago.

I decide to hook up a couple tunnels to a nearby murky pool for irrigating my underground farm.  Grates and floodgates, the whole shebang, making sure everything works fine.  I attach the lever to the floodgates and decide to just go for it.  I pop the lever and am immediately perplexed as only one 'gate opens.  While the rooms slowly fill with water, I go poking around the fortress to figure out what's wrong...

And almost immediately notice the open access tunnel to the gorilla pit.  Apparently it has the exact same type of floodgate.  The gorillas are greatly enjoying their vacation and happily beating the f*ck out of Urist McFishCleaner, who dies a sad death before they can be recaged.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #1876 on: June 16, 2010, 06:04:28 am »

Because no fortress is complete without a gorilla pit...
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: June 16, 2010, 06:29:18 am »

A Cheese Maker gets a possession, grabs some wood, adamantine, raw aluminium, rough amazonites and a native gold block I'd bought off traders a while ago. Problem is, while he's out grabbing his native gold block, I get a dark elf ambush. because dwarves are simply awful at listening to anything, no one stays inside after the stay inside order, instead running out to grab some orcinite (Like goblinite, but steel), put away a corpse, or watch as their friends are ripped apart by evil elves. Just as my military makes it outside, the ambush party notices my cheese maker hauling his block back to his workshop, and promptly rip him apart as my military run towards them in a vain attempt to rescue him.

I then discover my spearmaster's an utter sissy, who runs away from the dark elf guard leading the squad, as my two swordsmasters and Mace wielding champion rip apart the rest of them.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

flatlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: June 16, 2010, 12:40:40 pm »

I just embarked in the middle of a scorching hot desert clime and there is an oasis in the middle of it. It has two pools separated by about 15 tiles so I thought lets build a cistern on one side with a well and a garden on the other. Everything goes fine with the garden. I channeled out and shunted the cistern to a red clay room two z levels below the original lake. Installed flood gates.... and finished off my well successfully.

In comes a wave of migrants and one of them is a very good fisherdwarf.  I then thought... great a fisherdwarf in the desert. Immediately followed by... hey why not try to set that cistern up for fishing. I then started cutting out a pattern to install grates on the floor around the well when ....WHAM... the well a miner, and a dwarf who was grabbing water dropped into the cistern.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 12:52:02 pm by flatlander »
Check out my webcomic at epicgotime.com

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: June 16, 2010, 08:18:58 pm »

"Hey how did my woodworker get legendary observer 5 seconds after disembark?"
Wiki: The Observer skill determines how good someone is at spotting stealthed units.
*{u}*
):
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 08:20:31 pm by AtomicPaperclip »
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: June 17, 2010, 01:55:48 am »

Wiki: The Observer skill determines how good someone is at spotting stealthed units.
*{u}*
):
and what did he see?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: June 17, 2010, 01:59:04 am »

Managed to embark on a map full of skeletal elk. Skeletal elk that proceeded to tear my dorfs to shreds before I had any defenses whatsoever.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: June 17, 2010, 04:19:43 am »

*{u}*
):
and what did he see?
Ninjas.

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
« Reply #1883 on: June 17, 2010, 05:45:34 am »

I embarked on glaziers. After mining for rooms and creating grates, the skeletal bears noticed my dwarves and started chasing them on the surface. I ordered all my dwarves inside the cave, but forgot to put the items inside. it's too late. my dwarves on the surface are killed and all over the main entrance.

I did not lose hope. I ordered the dwarves to mine an alternate entrance and sneak on the wagon to get all the resources. I used my marksdwarf to distract the skels, but didn't buy enough time for my dwarves to get inside.

the last dwarf had a tantrum and went raging on the undead bears, only to get killed.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: June 17, 2010, 07:57:44 am »

*{u}*
):
and what did he see?
Ninjas.
Then why is he still alive?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: June 17, 2010, 08:00:59 am »

*{u}*
):
and what did he see?
Ninjas.
Then why is he still alive?

Because his father is Chuck Norris.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: June 17, 2010, 09:24:55 am »

Second summer after embark.  I have no metal so far.  My immigrant furnace operator is possessed, claims a crafts shop, and is demanding metal bars.  It is a race between the arrival of the human caravan and his sanity.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: June 17, 2010, 10:12:15 am »

@Knick, I just did that with sand. My poor, insane glassmaker.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Captain Hammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: June 17, 2010, 02:21:07 pm »

I've been going through this thread for awhile, just read the part about digging multiple z lvl's easier. After designating my 40 z lvl underground magma pump stack.  >:(
/facepalm

BrutalNoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: June 17, 2010, 06:00:34 pm »

Hey there everyone,
been lurking for about a month now after finding out about dwarf fortress. Thought I would share some of the silly things that my engraver has been doing.

One of the first engravings my legendary engraver did,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He has been consistently producing images of geometric shapes in my dining hall for nearly half a season. =/

EDIT: He also drew a circle and "two waves" all masterfully done, yet my fortress is nowhere near and ocean. I would like to believe that it is simply some squiggles ~ ~
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:55:47 pm by BrutalNoodle »
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 729