Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130595 times)

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2145 on: July 29, 2010, 12:02:09 am »

Hmm...I'm next to two major rivers and a lake. Need irrigation, what to do? How about digging right under the lake?

*one second later* WHOOOOOOOOOOOSH.

Irrigating with Lakes. What Fun!

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: July 29, 2010, 08:55:10 am »

I threw a donkey sceptre at a Dragon, making it vomit that much it stopped breathing fire.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: July 29, 2010, 10:31:01 am »

I threw a donkey sceptre at a Dragon, making it vomit that much it stopped breathing fire.

How is that a facepalm? thats more like dwarf five material if you ask me. Fuck yeah vomit enducing scepter.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: July 29, 2010, 10:33:38 am »

How is that a facepalm? thats more like dwarf five material if you ask me. Fuck yeah vomit enducing scepter.

haha, I felt sort of bad for expecting an epic battle but 'twas indeed an awesome moment nonetheless.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: July 29, 2010, 11:37:43 am »

"BLARG I AM A DRAGON PREPARE TO DIE"
"Go go donkey scepter!"
*vomits*
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: July 29, 2010, 12:54:14 pm »

My most recent facepalm was upon discovering that in 0.31.12, marksdwarves only shoot through fortifications if they're directly in front of it, combined with how the move order will make them move not directly to a square but somewhat close to it. I had built a shooting gallery with goblin ambushers as target practice who were frolicking on their pedestals while the marksdwarves were picking their noses behind the fortifications.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 02:51:24 pm by CptFastbreak »

Kronos

• Bay Watcher
  • Diorite Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: July 29, 2010, 01:40:39 pm »

I usually run relatively safe forts (yeah, yeah) so I don't often have a reason to post here, but today I have had a... 'worthy' encounter with fun.

One of my four uninvited guests somehow managed to breach my primary mining shaft from the third cavern level and work his way up the inhabited part of my fort, where he proceeded to thrash a skill-less peasant. This had happened once before and I was pretty sure I had gotten all possible entry points (entry only seems possible if creatures can move diagonally through z-levels, and then only if they can fly. Which this one could... but then all the ones I've gotten could). Whatever the case, I wasn't very worried - It and all the other ones I've gotten so far were organic. I immediately recruited my entire fort and sent them after the beast.

what ensued was a massive dogpile in the only three squares adjacent to the beast (including the one it was standing on), followed shortly by its death. His death was followed shortly by the death of the peasant he was attacking, but this didn't worry me either as he was a newly arrived immigrant who hadn't had time to make friends. My only real concern was that his 'deadly blood' would melt my fort at some later date, but there wasn't really anything I could do about it - his blood was already covering a high-traffic zone. I could only hope it wasn't that particular toxin.

But it turned out doom was much closer at hand. Shortly after the death of the peasant, the one other wounded - a pet puppy - died. Once again, this didn't bother me; his owner was also a skill-less newly arrived dwarf with average strength. He immediately tantrumed - I ignored. That is, until me punched one of my two almighty champions in his iron-clad head, instantly killing him. What?

...I then savescummed. Yeah, it was kinda funny. Yes, I had a legendary dining room and good food and drink, and so it wasn't likely to mean the end of my 37-dwarf fort. I could have played it out. But I just don't like losing my dwarves. Especially the legendary champion of my original seven. Especially to a skill-less, strengthless newly arrived dwarf. In one punch. To an iron-clad head. Because he tantrumed. Because his puppy died. Immediately after said dwarf and many others slaughtered a forgotten beast.

It was funny. But it wasn't going to stick... though I suppose in hindsight I could've just sealed that peasant in a wall somewhere to reflect on what he had done until he dies of starvation.

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: July 29, 2010, 03:49:09 pm »

finally managed to hook some pumps up to some windmills today and learnt a few things.

1. pumps pump water really fast.
2. dwarfs drown really fast.
3. disconnecting the gear assembly is best done before building the last axel.

of course it had to be my primary mechanic with husband and child and not the new friendless mechanic who's only been hauling stuff so far.
Also: how did she manage to loose her upper body by drowning?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:50:56 am by bremarv »
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: July 29, 2010, 03:52:29 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:16:26 pm by Bronimin »

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: July 29, 2010, 06:12:01 pm »

"BLARG I AM A DRAGON PREPARE TO DIE"
"Go go donkey scepter!"
*vomits*

Haha yeah, pretty much it! I felt bad lashing him to death as he sat there vomiting his guts up.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2155 on: July 30, 2010, 03:08:43 am »

A talented weaponsmith just got possessed, and it isn't even the end of the first fall.  The map has a volcano, so training a new one shouldn't be too bad, but it still feels like a waste.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: July 30, 2010, 07:42:44 am »

A dwarf being possessed doesn't mean you lose him, or did you miss something out from your post?  It means he will create an artifact of awesome if you have all the materials he requires (and the workshop he requires).

Check moods on the wiki to find out more - might be slightly spoilery.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: July 30, 2010, 08:25:55 am »

But I is his first year. He dosnt have that much supplies yet.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: July 30, 2010, 09:12:35 am »

Also, it's possession, so no legendary dwarf after.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: July 30, 2010, 05:04:03 pm »

This fort was going really well in it's second year. No deaths, good trades etc.

I embarked without an anvil.

(I just realized my father civilization is dead.)

Maaaaaaan.

Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 729