Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126547 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2385 on: August 19, 2010, 04:40:56 pm »

Ah, yes. I'd forgotten about that part. You may now return to your regularly scheduled facepalms.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: August 19, 2010, 05:34:30 pm »

Apparently, I don't need to irrigate every single square in an underground farm to build the farm.  Honestly though I'm more estatic that the water from a 1x1 murky pool is allowing me to build a 10x10 farm :)

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: August 19, 2010, 05:45:29 pm »

Beware. As soon as you get to a tile without mud on it, planting will probably cease. Nothing further into the farm(going by its top-down, then left to right logic) might get planted.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: August 20, 2010, 12:06:13 am »

So I was just digging down my main stairwell, and accidentally designated the whole thing as "mine". Result? One guy made it down the central ramp, deconstructed the ramp and levelled the area, trapping himself down there and everyone else upstairs. Nobody came to build the stairs, as he slowly starved to de--New fort.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: August 20, 2010, 01:26:58 pm »

New fort? Why?
And why didnt you just make him a mason so he could make his own stairs?

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: August 20, 2010, 07:46:15 pm »

i think you just made this a double face palm moment spectre XD

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: August 20, 2010, 10:06:25 pm »

Especially since the reason nobody else built the stairway was probably because they couldn't path to the stone designated for building it, because it was on the lower section with the trapped miner...
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Tywuzhere

• Bay Watcher
  • We Fell Asleep: Abdomen/Thorax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: August 20, 2010, 11:49:10 pm »

Lol, sucks for that miner... Haha, he could've made it...
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: August 21, 2010, 06:03:46 am »

now for my own face palm moment, i've had my most succesful, and fort so far. I was doing great, then had a hauler go secretive on me and is still wondering around dropping his clothes randomly. then to top it off my legendary miner fell down a channel for the well system i was digging out, the aqueducts were completly inescapable, but fortunatly they were still in the process of filling ( i made it big enough to feed anypart of my fortress) and after a few moment of "aww that sucks" and forgetting bout him it clicked that i could save him, as he was close to one of the walls and passages up stairs. then almost paniced when i realized he could no longer mine bc he dropped his pick bc his "ability to grasp impaired" and had to scramble some other miners down to save him. He made it, but he's not sitting in the hospital recovering from many fractures. Just wondering though, does the "ability to grasp" thing mean he'll never hold a pick again? bc then he's USELESS

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: August 21, 2010, 07:00:26 am »

now for my own face palm moment, i've had my most succesful, and fort so far. I was doing great, then had a hauler go secretive on me and is still wondering around dropping his clothes randomly. then to top it off my legendary miner fell down a channel for the well system i was digging out, the aqueducts were completly inescapable, but fortunatly they were still in the process of filling ( i made it big enough to feed anypart of my fortress) and after a few moment of "aww that sucks" and forgetting bout him it clicked that i could save him, as he was close to one of the walls and passages up stairs. then almost paniced when i realized he could no longer mine bc he dropped his pick bc his "ability to grasp impaired" and had to scramble some other miners down to save him. He made it, but he's not sitting in the hospital recovering from many fractures. Just wondering though, does the "ability to grasp" thing mean he'll never hold a pick again? bc then he's USELESS

He can Still Hold the pick , But at 1/2 the Efficentifcy

Also , i had a Pretty Big faceplam Moment :
Goblin Siege Up ahead , i Ordered a Dwarf to Pull the "Flood the Entire World with Lava" Lever when i Learned after the moment that it was the "Flood the Entire Fortress With lava" Lever
*insert Obvious Faceplam Moment Here*

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: August 21, 2010, 11:57:53 am »

My facepalms came from misunderstanding that Glass Portals would work like portals and teleport the dwarves between any two such portals, instead of acting just like normal doors.

I think such portals might be very useful in defence, but also very problematic if taken by enemy.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: August 21, 2010, 01:46:06 pm »

Wut?
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: August 21, 2010, 03:20:29 pm »

I think he's joking.
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

Richard Nixon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: August 21, 2010, 04:21:24 pm »

I think all of the men in this world are dead, my last fort only had one guy and didn't last long enough for migrants to come so we'll see what happens.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: August 21, 2010, 05:47:26 pm »

Are you starting an Amazonian fort? I have a fear that the next guy that shows up will be emasculated immediately. The next guy after that should have the time of his life, though.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 729