Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2131112 times)

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
  • Always the trader...trading you some BLUE STUPH!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3540 on: December 31, 2010, 01:37:20 pm »

I was making a fortress in a calm forest.

FYI: This was all in the first season
Everything was fine, was making a nice hole in the ground. Dorms, farms, and was starting to make workshop area for carpenter and mason.
Then all of a sudden
Urist McMason has drowned.
HE DROWNED IN A RANDOM POND!
The first thing I do is check for wildlife (Ya know, he might of dodged from something.), and there was nothing there.
WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUU-
MrNuke cancles play Dwarf Fortress: Raging!
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: December 31, 2010, 02:04:38 pm »

During a BIG siege (at least 100 goblins) a caravan arrived. And with them, of course, many ambushes. They were 150 goblins now. Trolls breaked my doors. Twenty cage traps catched twenty goblins and my ballista killed six of them before getting owned, and after that I had no choice; I released my military. They were at one against 10. All danger-room trained, all legendary, but -goddamnit- all in iron because it was the better metal on my map. If they had steel, or maybe even bronze, they may have survived. The captain of the gard died in the main hallway. The sheriff got cornered in the bedrooms and was killed by six goblin axemans. Two of my axelords made a last stand in the stockpiles. And then... I realize I had forgot about my greatest soldier, my proudest dwarf, the most dangerous of all my army! There was only 20 remaining goblins now, he could do it, he could win in this fight, he could... What?
Dodge into the volcano?

/facepalm.

(He still killed twelve gobs before falling, that idiot.)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: December 31, 2010, 02:23:48 pm »

I'm finally on my longest-lasting fort so far, survived 2 Goblin ambushes (only 2 casualties on my side, unless you count my war dog which I crushed with my bridge - I did take out 2 gobbos with the same bridge though).

My facepalm: I just now realized that, all this time, instead of actually trading with the caravans I've just been giving them stuff for free.  The subtleties between 'offer' and 'trade'!  :o

PS: First post to the forum!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: December 31, 2010, 02:33:24 pm »

welcome to the forum! and yeah, that stuff's kinda confusing XD

I found out that you can teleport to the surface sleeping in the caverns. whoops, so much for killing that FB
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: December 31, 2010, 06:10:14 pm »

I just realized that in the fortress overview menu (z) if you press enter, it shows all the animals (tame) and who their owners are, so you don't get a tantrum if you slaughter the wrong one, plus from there you can designate animals to be slaughtered... I spent all that time chasing animals around to mark them and only to get tantrums because I marked the wrong one... I lost one of my forts doing that... for an animal!

EDIT: and I also just found that from there you can change pet availability... though that's not much of a facepalm...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 06:13:02 pm by Daveorock »
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: January 01, 2011, 12:59:58 pm »

I'm finally on my longest-lasting fort so far, survived 2 Goblin ambushes (only 2 casualties on my side, unless you count my war dog which I crushed with my bridge - I did take out 2 gobbos with the same bridge though).

My facepalm: I just now realized that, all this time, instead of actually trading with the caravans I've just been giving them stuff for free.  The subtleties between 'offer' and 'trade'!  :o

PS: First post to the forum!

The first few fortresses I had, I didn't have a clue how the trading system worked. Dwarf and Human traders just brought all their stuff, stood there for a few months, then left. I did figure out how to get stuff from elves in exchange for generous amounts of warhammer to the head, though.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: January 01, 2011, 01:24:12 pm »

modding in dwarf blood toxin deviations is not a good thing.

reading all DF talks in 10 minutes is NOT advisable.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: January 01, 2011, 04:50:22 pm »

Watching my dwarves seal themself behind a constructed wall by building it from the wrong side.
I play games of games inside games in my head.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: January 01, 2011, 05:23:28 pm »

Watching my dwarves seal themself behind a constructed wall by building it from the wrong side.

You would not believe how common this is.

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: January 01, 2011, 06:14:09 pm »

I have figured out to play the corners to force them to build it on the side I want.  They can't build walls diagonally.
I play games of games inside games in my head.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: January 01, 2011, 06:54:26 pm »

A strange mooding dwarf created a pair of leather shoes. That's not the facepalm, they're pretty nice shoes. However, after she completed them, I noticed she was flickering as if injured.

The creator of a pair of legendary shoes is missing a foot.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: January 01, 2011, 06:55:36 pm »

Was reminded of the immense power of horses by one who (in adventure mode) Kicked me into a pond, then while standing at the edge of it smashed my head in.

I didn't know enemies could attack accross Z-levels like that. There was no ramp and I was drowning.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: January 01, 2011, 08:32:32 pm »

I have figured out to play the corners to force them to build it on the side I want.  They can't build walls diagonally.

They also prefer not to build while standing on a tile that already has another designated construction on it. So if you want them to build a wall from one side, build another piece of wall on the side you don't want them to be and suspend it. Then when the wall is finished you can cancel the suspended structure and your dwarf will be on the right side.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: January 02, 2011, 12:53:42 am »

You can't link a lever to a drawbridge without being on top of said drawbridge.

I almost starved my fort by not realizing this. Locked them all in underneath, didn't notice until booze ran out.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: January 02, 2011, 10:42:43 am »

A couple of "Give Water" jobs were canceled because my fort is near the ocean. Oh, well; I have plenty of dwarven wine.
A fishery worker dies of thirst. Huh? That's odd; he's right in the dining room.
Someone else dies of thirst. I check my stocks. Oh, crap, I'm out of alcohol!
This preceded a furious attempt to get a dwarf to stop what he's doing and work on a fortress-saving well before everyone died. About 20 migrants showed up, apparently having just finished a nice skin of wine or whatever. I think the well might get built.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 729