Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130608 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4305 on: April 18, 2011, 07:23:21 pm »

Earlier I had a dwarf go get a drink of ale as lava was rushing down the hallway behind him, cutting off his only escape a few seconds later.

It was fast.

Also, booze explosion of epic magnitude.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: April 18, 2011, 07:50:24 pm »

I'm just going to give a collective facepalm for everyone who has tried to raid my fortress now that I've got 6 legendary marksdwarves with masterwork crossbows watching the main entrance. They apparently shoot so fast that they literally blot out the sun; in a recent ambush there was an area of ~25 tiles that was nothing but flying bolts.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: April 18, 2011, 08:10:30 pm »

Guys, I'm not sure how, but I just hit semi-molten rock before hitting any caverns. I... think my staircase missed all three cavern levels.

dude_ftw@live.com

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: April 18, 2011, 09:50:28 pm »

Guys, I'm not sure how, but I just hit semi-molten rock before hitting any caverns. I... think my staircase missed all three cavern levels.

Give. Me. Your. Save.

A.K.A. - NO cave plant life growing in your fortress

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: April 18, 2011, 09:51:40 pm »

I'm just going to give a collective facepalm for everyone who has tried to raid my fortress now that I've got 6 legendary marksdwarves with masterwork crossbows watching the main entrance. They apparently shoot so fast that they literally blot out the sun; in a recent ambush there was an area of ~25 tiles that was nothing but flying bolts.
WIN
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: April 18, 2011, 09:55:45 pm »

Give. Me. Your. Save.

Too late, I found some caverns in an incident which alos involved all my miners limbs being broken. She's in the hospital, unable to stand, full of infection, and suffering severe blood loss. If she survives this thing, it'll be a miracle.

Also of note: I missed all three cavern layers, and the magma sea.

I have no idea how.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: April 18, 2011, 09:58:58 pm »

WIN
Yeah, I had a hoard of goblins do this to a single dwarf once. He dodged every bolt/arrow, but was ultimately killed when the leader (a lasher) showed up.  The thing that had me face palming though was the dwarf was continuing to dodge the projectiles when he was on the ground almost dead, but still couldn't dodge the dang whip.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #4312 on: April 19, 2011, 12:56:26 am »

THEN WE FIGHT IN THE SHADE!
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: April 19, 2011, 05:33:50 am »

Give. Me. Your. Save.

It's not that unusual. If you reveal a map, there are usually isolated columns of solid rock from top to bottom. The hard part is getting enough of them to be able to thread a fortress through the stone, and without using dfreveal to deliberately avoid the caverns it's very unlikely you'll dig out a full fortress without hitting one.

If the attraction is not having stray spores in your dining room, then there are a couple of ways around that. First is to avoid soil entirely, second is to floor over all soil tiles to prevent plant growth.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: April 19, 2011, 07:22:14 am »

I made a quick and dirty airlock system to get traders running to the depot without having access to my fortress (three military dwarves, yo). It consists of two bridges with the depot between them.

Code: [Select]

_ b D b _ -> fortress
/#\_/#\_/#\

b = bridge
D = depot

Spot the mistake, folks.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: April 19, 2011, 07:25:19 am »

They'll just stop at the depot, making the second bridge redundant and useless.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: April 19, 2011, 08:03:45 am »

I made a quick and dirty airlock system to get traders running to the depot without having access to my fortress (three military dwarves, yo). It consists of two bridges with the depot between them.

_ b D b _ -> fortress
/#\_/#\_/#\

b = bridge
D = depot

Spot the mistake, folks.
elite crossbowgoblins? Hidden ambush?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4317 on: April 19, 2011, 10:01:45 am »

TOO EASY FACEPALM
I'm abandoning after my second year because it's just too simple. Everyone is drafted the military and all are decked out in steel. All surfaces in the liviing quarters are gold, silver, copper and zinc. And finally, the circus was visited, and everyone whooped some clown ass. My squads are holding them at bay and the fort is still continuing as normal.
Congrats, you are ready to graduate into the Genesis mod. With 5-6 hostile civs. Triple siege and then you get an ambush squad in your stairwell at the same time.
Just don't chicken out and "build a wall to stop the six squads of siegers". The enemies have skill, body size and numbers advantage (3 squads on cave crocodile mounts). You have three kinds of steel and traps.

Victory is ten weapon traps -- but no! Some elite foes ignore traps and cast spells. And the traps get jammed with the enemy mounts.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 10:08:21 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Garbles

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:height]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: April 19, 2011, 02:18:34 pm »

During my first successful fort, it took about 4 years for a Forgotten Beast to show up. I was super psyched,  because I knew my militia could handle it.It waited politely at the entrance to my fort, so I ordered my dorfs to group up at the other side of the door so they wouldn't trickle in one at a time and get picked off. I leaned back and prepared for the epic battle.

The first one to the room, the newest recruit and by far the least skilled, spots the mandibled flamingo through the door, rushes in, and pokes its brain in with his spear.

Next time I'm sending in the Swordmaster who got attached to a wooden sword.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: April 19, 2011, 02:19:46 pm »

_ b D b _ -> fortress
/#\_/#\_/#\

b = bridge
D = depot

Spot the mistake, folks.

Ramps.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 729