Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126584 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4545 on: May 29, 2011, 09:55:06 am »

Go into the [m]ilitary screen, set up a squad for "Sheriff" or "Captain of the Guard" (after 50 dorfs), set him up in a squad by himself, and assign him specific weapon and armor from there.

Yeah, that's the thing, I don't see 'Sheriff' or anything in the military screen.

Do I have to assign him as a militia captain, also?

I always do anyway, so I'm not sure.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

xmagicx60

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: May 29, 2011, 09:56:43 am »

I just found out you can designate more than one wall to be constructed at once. I'd been designating one by one since... since I started playing DF.

Well, now I just found out. And the worst part is that it took me two days after having read this post to realize...

YEARS, I'VE BEEN PLAYING YEARS!! :o
yikes, I found that out on my second day, the day I build my first walls XD

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: May 29, 2011, 10:46:22 am »

I just found out you can designate more than one wall to be constructed at once. I'd been designating one by one since... since I started playing DF.

Well, now I just found out. And the worst part is that it took me two days after having read this post to realize...

YEARS, I'VE BEEN PLAYING YEARS!! :o
yikes, I found that out on my second day, the day I build my first walls XD
Likewise.

I mean, I'm pretty sure the directions are right there.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Tyg13

• Bay Watcher
  • And then I was bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: May 29, 2011, 12:53:15 pm »

I was building a gearshaft to power my pump stack and get magma up from the magma sea (which is about 100 z-levels below my base) when all of a sudden, I'd realized that my mineshaft was flooded. Quickly, I paused.  Turns out that it doesn't give you a wet stone warning if you're digging up. Cue me spending about an hour messing around with DFLiquids trying to get the whole 100+ z-levels shaft dry and losing both of my legendary miners in the process.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: May 29, 2011, 02:56:11 pm »

Sending 6 moderately trained unarmed, naked dwarves after 3 giant panda's... (wasted an entire season of military training and cross training on these guys)

Amazingly they all lived, one with a severe head wound (Who is still in charge of their squad and recovered the fastest. Think huge scarred head like the crazy old dood from avatar...). Another with a leg crushed. The last with a leg and hand crushed. *Note to self leather armor and a marksman for panda's =) Anyway the cripples have been retired from the military and are now broker, and record keeper respectively =)... oh and the last gets to sit at a desk all day and cut gems. The scarred one gets to give lovely welcome speaches to all the new immigrents... to what I'm gonna call... *cough* PANDora! lol.. nvm...
I voted for BANANA!

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: May 30, 2011, 02:05:29 am »

I suppose due to how massive they are, they are easily capable of wrestling clothes off puny dwarves. They just have some fetish for socks, going as far as beating dwarves to death with them.

This is Dwarf Fortress, everything has a fetish for socks.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

EllisMaestr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: May 30, 2011, 02:08:15 am »

Just realised what was causing the glitch that prevented my miners or mechanics doing anything outside a small area at the middle of the map. The burrow I'd assigned them to, 2 years ago.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: May 30, 2011, 03:34:43 am »

I forgot that pumps don't deliver water to the Z-level above, they bring it to the Z-level they are in.
All I wanted was to turn saltwater into normal water..
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: May 30, 2011, 02:25:05 pm »

just deleted a fortress because there were no bees on it, then just found out that bees could have spawned in on it.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: May 30, 2011, 06:40:32 pm »

Because beekeeping isn't the single most unrewarding and micromanagement-intensive industry there is.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: May 31, 2011, 12:51:46 am »

So a giant scorpion FB,  Urnut the night plagues, appears in the first caverns, beware it's poisonous sting. I wait a few minutes before it starts wandering aimlessly around. I think to my self that it'll be a while before it reaches my trap lined corridor with archers above and below, and two squads of 7 (picks and swords). So I log on to the fourms and check Facebook. After a while I suddenly remember that there's a FB in my caverns. I quickly switch back to DF and find the FB dead in the corridor. I check the reports and apparently one guy from my squad of miners decided that the scorpon would be fun to ride so he hits it twice and it dies, once in the guts, once in the head. WTF!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: May 31, 2011, 01:09:38 am »

Took 15 bunnies with me on my embark, due to cheapness. Well, turns out that a) bunnies are baby rabbits, and do not breed until fully grown, and b) even when fully grown, rabbits do not give you any food. I'm going to have to mod them.  ::)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: May 31, 2011, 08:57:14 am »

You should milk them. :)
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: May 31, 2011, 09:00:30 am »

I Carved an elaborate series of sewers to channel water up to my hospital for bathing/drinking/cleaning and installed an easy way to control water pressure and cleanliness. Once it was finished, I went and dug out the aquifer tile.

Nothing happened.

I look up one z-level. THREE TILE POND.
 :'(
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: May 31, 2011, 01:31:33 pm »