Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126653 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4560 on: May 31, 2011, 01:36:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Are you sure that's a vein, and not a pillar leading to !!FUN!!?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: May 31, 2011, 02:23:51 pm »

There is a hollow core, wihtout doubt, but plenty of sticky out bits. I am thinking of how to access them... but cant think of a method.
This is a blank sig.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: May 31, 2011, 03:57:11 pm »

Make a pond zone at least two levels above, so dwarves will dump water down on the magma.
This will cast obsidian that you can mine through when you get a 3x3 chunk.

Raptor_a22

• Bay Watcher
  • [DERP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: May 31, 2011, 05:54:07 pm »

Migrants arrive!
I flip over to Dwarf Therapist and see what they do...
Lye making, glassmaking, small animal dissection, peasant, peasant.

New militia made!
I take a look where the migrants arrive...
I notice that theyre on the wrong side of a 10z level drop to my resident river

I get my carpenter to build a 3wide bridge (trader prep)
About 40 badgers arrive
Melbil has cancelled contrction, interrupted by badger!

*facepalm*

Luckily the badgers all moved off and stopped chasing him, theyre currently stuck on the other side of the river because it was winter and everything was frozen, and now its spring.
Raptor's CivMod, Mithril and Dark Elves and Alchemy, oh my!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where severe necrosis leading to exploding limbs is "awesome."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: May 31, 2011, 06:27:47 pm »

I noticed that I had a bunch of criminals on my Justice screen with outstanding sentences for trade violation, probably due to the noble in question changing their mind after I was finished trading. Since the sentences were all less than a month and getting released from prison gives an insane mood boost, I appointed a dwarf that definitely wasn't on the list -- one of the four-named military dwarves.

Turns out I didn't have enough chains to go round.

Just about finished a 116 level pump stack when I read that marble isn't magma-safe like I thought, and I have marble blocks in some pumps near the bottom. Sigh.
Little bit old, but that doesn't matter so long as the magma never shares a tile with the pump stack. It's only wood that's a no-no for magma pumping, and even then you can normally pump a little before the pump fails.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

The Steel face palm

• Bay Watcher
  • I have slain many badgers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: June 02, 2011, 12:16:12 pm »

After having 19 captured giant badgers released right next to my town, I moved to the other side of my river. At that moment I got 3 goblin ambushes. On my side of the river.
Ghostly Miner cancels Fun, Interrupted by TEH SOAP BUSTERS
Quote from: Dyret
Also crossbow-wielding giant desert scorpions
Quote from: The Steel face palm
All your base are reclaim by us

I declare war on the badgers. At Winter it begins.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: June 03, 2011, 01:42:49 am »

As always, when starting a new fort, I go through several "founder candidate groups" and abort game if they don't have the stats it takes to be a founder.  Eventually after about an hours worth of looking at dwarf profile screens I get a good group; a very good doctor, a good military leader, and a good organizer/architect/leader.  There's also a decent farmer and cook among the others.  So I go through the tedious task of filling out items and pets and so forth.  Finally I embark.  Then I realize something...all my dwarves are dark gray.  I had completely forgotten to give them the relevant skills.  I now embark on a site that took half a day to find and prep for with 7 peasants.  *Facepalm*

I'm going with this fort anyhow, just means that the founders will literally have to skill up from nothing to be legendary.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: June 03, 2011, 09:43:22 am »

I just flooded my hospital because I wanted to have a secondary well active. Luckily the only patient, my ex-expedition leader, survived (though he was flushed out of the room while in traction at the far end of the room) I removed the traction bench too because he'd been in traction for four months without anything happening; he's back to mining now.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: June 03, 2011, 11:13:35 am »

As always, when starting a new fort, I go through several "founder candidate groups" and abort game if they don't have the stats it takes to be a founder.  Eventually after about an hours worth of looking at dwarf profile screens I get a good group; a very good doctor, a good military leader, and a good organizer/architect/leader.  There's also a decent farmer and cook among the others.  So I go through the tedious task of filling out items and pets and so forth.  Finally I embark.  Then I realize something...all my dwarves are dark gray.  I had completely forgotten to give them the relevant skills.  I now embark on a site that took half a day to find and prep for with 7 peasants.  *Facepalm*

I'm going with this fort anyhow, just means that the founders will literally have to skill up from nothing to be legendary.

You should check out Runesmith. Embark with anyone and then change their stats in game.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: June 03, 2011, 04:52:54 pm »

You should check out Runesmith. Embark with anyone and then change their stats in game.

I'm a compulsive gambler.  Hitting the right stats at random is all part of the fun for me.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: June 03, 2011, 06:13:45 pm »

You could still do the same thing, but with likes and dislikes.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Proxiee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: June 03, 2011, 11:57:05 pm »

>embark on a mountain

>3x3 spot that can only fit the wagon

>everyone else falls off the mountain and dies

what...wat?

Also, embarking on a "volcano spot" with no red volcano marker on the map. So I set out on the highest zlevel spot to find a 5000+ z level spiral of candy! Encased in 30x30 big block of hard magma that you cant dig through! When I revealed the map, HFS was just sad. It was 1 tile big. the rest was hard magma. I tried to stonesense it, but it caused my computer to blue screen D: And the fps, oh god, it had to have been at least 10 without even digging or running water. I just kept getting the message "Cave has collapsed"

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: June 04, 2011, 12:24:52 am »

GodDAMNIT.

Just spent ages setting up heaps of workshops to make crystal glass for my megalomaniac expedition leader.
Then I look at the wiki to find out what "Rock Crystals" includes. *facepalm*
Is there any utility that would let me replace their love of crystal glass with an obtainable glass?!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: June 04, 2011, 02:24:19 am »

Just make a cheat reaction that does it. Make your "forge pewter alloy" reaction spit out crystal glass for free instead.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: June 04, 2011, 06:41:39 am »

"GWAFAFAFAFA Everything is going according to plan, the magma reactor's been laid out, I've begun to ready the heart machine for building as well, and now all I need to do is start making the power/magma/water layers and pipes. Wait... what am I forgetting..."

V V V V V V V V V V 

"OH SHI-"
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 06:43:58 am by lanceleoghauni »
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 729