Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126658 times)

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4875 on: August 11, 2011, 01:59:21 am »

Hiding from a goblin siege behind my walls. The first one got bored and wandered off, but a second one showed up just now.
Also exploring the caverns, and trying to figure out the best way to safely exploit them for every last scrap of resources I can get my hands on.
There are hundreds of precious gems coating the walls, and thick veins of minerals abound...
But I have no military, and no access to magma to simply flood the caves. Oh well. I'll do this dwarfy. (IE: needlessly overly complicated, excessively vague, and incredibly dangerous)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: August 11, 2011, 07:10:56 am »

Had a very very good wep/arm smith (I like starting one dwarf as proficient). The mayor demanded silver items.

Due to the mass producing preparing for fights, the item kinda got buried so it was never created. No chains around. The Captain of the Guard is an expert fighter.

3 whacks with a -copper pick- and it embeds in my smith's head and kills him.

Justice...
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: August 11, 2011, 07:15:11 am »

Had a very very good wep/arm smith (I like starting one dwarf as proficient). The mayor demanded silver items.

Due to the mass producing preparing for fights, the item kinda got buried so it was never created. No chains around. The Captain of the Guard is an expert fighter.

3 whacks with a -copper pick- and it embeds in my smith's head and kills him.

Justice...
Picks are deadly weapons. Give your CotG's training weapons.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: August 11, 2011, 07:19:58 am »

Major bummer. But hey, if you're making weapons and silver is demanded, why not make silver weapons? A silver hammer is pretty nice.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: August 11, 2011, 07:34:30 am »

But silver isn't very good when I have access to steel. I'm making silver furnishings instead and shoving them into his room so he shuts up. Might do some bolts too...

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: August 11, 2011, 08:38:11 am »

But silver isn't very good when I have access to steel. I'm making silver furnishings instead and shoving them into his room so he shuts up. Might do some bolts too...

Silver warhammers beat steel warhammers hands-down.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: August 11, 2011, 08:44:31 am »

Oh right since its to do with mass. Same for maces I guess yes?

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: August 11, 2011, 08:46:50 am »

Fey mood.  Dwarf claims the bowery.  Well, that's nice.  Something more useful than an artifact earing.  Nope--artifact bow.  Next time stay in and make some artifact arrows while you're at it, Urist Mcdouche.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: August 11, 2011, 08:48:09 am »

Steel has the same density as iron, which sucks.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: August 11, 2011, 08:51:13 am »

Fey mood.  Dwarf claims the bowery.  Well, that's nice.  Something more useful than an artifact earing.  Nope--artifact bow.  Next time stay in and make some artifact arrows while you're at it, Urist Mcdouche.

At least you can put that in a weapon trap and have people admire it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: August 11, 2011, 08:53:27 am »

Get some arrows from the hippies.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: August 11, 2011, 09:41:35 am »

Oh cockdammit. I half-equipped a decent looking person (mighty and heals quick, likes whips and gauntlets) as Mcom and wanted to get her to train so I told her to whack a giant capybara because my hunter never had any trouble with them. She walks into the herd, follows one to and fro with the Benny Hill tune on the background, it turns around, savages her, and leaves pale and with only one foot left.

She's now in my little hospital but the river is frozen and I hadn't yet filled my cistern (I wanted it smooth first) so now no-one can give her water or wash her wounds. Goody. Luckily it's spring so the river should thaw relatively soon. I did build a small wallpost of ice in the hospital but I don't know how to melt it because apparently it's sub-zero in -5. :(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: August 11, 2011, 10:12:25 am »

My facepalm moment came when I realized that I was actually going "yup, I've been there before," to pretty much all of these.  Also, whenever I forget that dwarves will, when presented with two options, invariably choose the one that leads to disaster.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: August 11, 2011, 10:18:42 am »

The river thawed! Yaaay. Oh, there was someone on it? Whoops. A migrant and I'm still in the stage of "sure, more migrants, come on in" so I was kinda worried. Luckily he swam towards the entrance of my waterworks and he passed the floodgate quickly.

I thought he'd be able to just walk out (which would have made my industrial section a bit wet but fie to that) but instead he got flushed from river level (-1) to cistern level (-10). Remarkably he survived the smack and he was dragged up in no time (by the HM! weaponsmith from the same wave) and is now in hospital.

Luckily my CMD is readily available. Once he's finished his break.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

erissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: August 11, 2011, 03:08:04 pm »

I did build a small wallpost of ice in the hospital but I don't know how to melt it because apparently it's sub-zero in -5. :(

Constructions don't melt or burn.
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 729