Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2131065 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5040 on: September 20, 2011, 06:13:40 pm »

I lost an entire squad (7 dwarves) to a single sturgeon, said sturgeon also slaughtered 16 other dwarves ...

sturgeon or surgeon?

Holy ‼Waffle Iron‼ that's a big fish!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: September 20, 2011, 07:53:16 pm »

I lost an entire squad (7 dwarves) to a single sturgeon, said sturgeon also slaughtered 16 other dwarves ...
sturgeon or surgeon?
Yes, yes it is.  Now do you understand why they are dangerous to your dwarves?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: September 20, 2011, 11:30:42 pm »

sturgeon or surgeon?
Yes, yes it is.  Now do you understand why they are dangerous to your dwarves?

Now imagine a peasantdorf get overrun in a goblin ambush, who then wakes up hungover. He blithely stumbles to the river, in search of liquids for his parched throat. He dips his hand into the river, and to his bemusement, a gigantic fish has latched onto it. What else is there to do? He calmly punches it to death, gets his drink, and goes about his business.

Dorfs are badass.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: September 21, 2011, 01:30:38 am »

Doncherknow? Dorfs fish by sticking their beards in the water, and then grappling whatever bites on to death. This works on small fish that easily get tangled in the facial hair, but on larger ones like that, it's a risky business indeed. You try grappling a fish to death, when the fish has a hold on your beard and could swallow your head whole.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: September 21, 2011, 03:20:06 am »

I've been playing for two months and only now realized how to change bridge from (retracts) to (raises)

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: September 21, 2011, 07:04:14 am »

A berserk racist elf donkey killed my military and half the fort, sending the rest into a tantrum spiral.

Facepalm.

The entire population was then conscripted to fight a giantess, who would otherwise have bashed up my migrants, my caravans and my best hope for salvation. After half an hour of watching the fort piling in on the unconscious monster (alternating between punching her and punching each other), a siege came along, the dwarves were dropped from the military and were ordered inside. A goblin simply waltzed over and caved in the giantess' face with one blow.

Facepalm.

The dwarves didn't pull the lever to close the gate in time and the goblins made it inside. I had no functional military or traps (first fort) so I made the cunning move of unsealing a flooded apartment block. The goblins were drowned. My dwarves were packed into the dining room, soon to be submerged, and the miners were dead due to severe nutritional imbalance (I believe there was a toxic buildup of vitamin axe in their spines), so the dwarves had no picks, which had been stored past the water.

Facepalm.

I remembered that the Mayor (she was the best when she went batshit - she took a crossbow outside and started firing into the air) had an artifact floor hatch leading to the caverns in her bedroom (she pulled the lever on her political enemies while they were admiring the craftsdwarfship). What the hell, I'll send the dwarves down and see what I can do down there, there's nothing else to do but die of drowning. I burrowed the remaining dwarves on the trapdoor, which also had a meeting hall on it. The mayor got to pull the lever. It was a three-Z-level drop, but most would survive by landing on the dying dwarves, right? Right. So half the rest of the dwarves go down the trapdoor. Some of the children were actually holding barrels of booze, I don't know why, but it was awesome they were taking supplies. I shouldn't have to worry about the local wildlife because they've all been taken care of by that forgotten beast...

Facepalm.

I go down three Z-levels to see a gigantic eyeless dimetrodon with charcoal scales standing with its mouth open beneath a trapdoor. Guess it brings new meaning to 'down the hatch'.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: September 21, 2011, 07:36:22 am »

A berserk racist elf donkey killed my military and half the fort, sending the rest into a tantrum spiral.

Facepalm.

The entire population was then conscripted to fight a giantess, who would otherwise have bashed up my migrants, my caravans and my best hope for salvation. After half an hour of watching the fort piling in on the unconscious monster (alternating between punching her and punching each other), a siege came along, the dwarves were dropped from the military and were ordered inside. A goblin simply waltzed over and caved in the giantess' face with one blow.

Facepalm.

The dwarves didn't pull the lever to close the gate in time and the goblins made it inside. I had no functional military or traps (first fort) so I made the cunning move of unsealing a flooded apartment block. The goblins were drowned. My dwarves were packed into the dining room, soon to be submerged, and the miners were dead due to severe nutritional imbalance (I believe there was a toxic buildup of vitamin axe in their spines), so the dwarves had no picks, which had been stored past the water.

Facepalm.

I remembered that the Mayor (she was the best when she went batshit - she took a crossbow outside and started firing into the air) had an artifact floor hatch leading to the caverns in her bedroom (she pulled the lever on her political enemies while they were admiring the craftsdwarfship). What the hell, I'll send the dwarves down and see what I can do down there, there's nothing else to do but die of drowning. I burrowed the remaining dwarves on the trapdoor, which also had a meeting hall on it. The mayor got to pull the lever. It was a three-Z-level drop, but most would survive by landing on the dying dwarves, right? Right. So half the rest of the dwarves go down the trapdoor. Some of the children were actually holding barrels of booze, I don't know why, but it was awesome they were taking supplies. I shouldn't have to worry about the local wildlife because they've all been taken care of by that forgotten beast...

Facepalm.

I go down three Z-levels to see a gigantic eyeless dimetrodon with charcoal scales standing with its mouth open beneath a trapdoor. Guess it brings new meaning to 'down the hatch'.

I do believe you will be a welcome member of thefort Forum. Because that story was awesome.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

The Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Hyperprotofuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: September 21, 2011, 05:36:22 pm »

I embarked on a site with two rivers, in different levels. Soooo I decided to build a statue garden with waterfall in the middle of it. I couldn't be bothered with screw pumps so drew water from the river at the higher Z-level. let the water fall through the statue garden and the floor grates, before finally flowing out to the river at the lower Z-level. My dwarves were be impressed with the lovely waterfall, all the water washed away grime and blood from the dwarves, and all was well

except that my waterfall was actually tagged Outdoors because I had channeled straight down from the surface. Every winter, any dwarves and dogs unlucky enough to be in that statue garden would be encased in ice. The hell...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 06:02:00 pm by The Butterfly »

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: September 21, 2011, 05:54:13 pm »

Like many others here, major facepalm when first learning about the d-b menu.  so much time manually quantum-stockpiling stones with loo(k).

Facepalm: Created an awesome dining room with artificial waterfall.  it was a good design: river-fed cistern on the surface, catch cistern below the dining room, 4z pump stack powered by the river to reset it, floodgate to control filling the top cistern from the river and hatch to control release of the waterfall, everything hooked up to levers.  I was even in a warm environment, so no worry about freezing

Well, on first activation, the thing didn't cause flooding, but it WAS making a wet mess, so I widened the hole in the floor and installed more grates, then turned it back on.  Well, in that time a good deal of my initial upper-cistern full of water had evaporated from the barely-filled lower cistern.  Easy solution!  That's exactly why I left the fill lever available.  I order it pulled twice to get a quick infusion of water.

The lever glitches out, and the floodgate stays open.  Somehow or other quantum entanglement gets disentangled because I can never seem to order the floodgate closed.  but that's okay, because the waterfall-controlling hatch is still in place.

The hatch was open when I ordered the refill, and the lever that controls it on the far side of the waterfall-fed dining room/meeting hall.  Urist McNotASwimmer cancels pull the lever: Dangerous Terrain.  As the river was basically at surface level, importantly above the mostly dug out level I was preparing to be a tree farm, cue Chapter III: Carp Fortress.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: September 21, 2011, 11:29:50 pm »

So, I finally got back into the groove and decided to sit down and play a game of good old DF. Spent about half an hour making sure that my human mod was still working nicely, then a couple more genning a wonderful world, playing a few adventurers, and picking out a good site.

About twenty minutes into my desert embark, I realized that I had forgotten to copy the reactions for smelting coal, and that for some reason, I had decided that humans didn't need the ability to make wooden training axes......
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: September 22, 2011, 09:51:11 am »

I was wondering why I was running out of fairly rare fuel, because my only fuel use is making steel and I can only do that with goblinite. Turns out I built a regular glass furnace over my magma well.

EDIT: Reading about diningwaterfalls reminded me of my near facepalm with that. I had arranged for such, with the small waterfall draining into the natural waterfall I had built my dining hall on. (Happy dwarves!) But for some reason I put my jail below the hall and opposite the drain, thinking upward slopes wouldn't allow water in. And little did I know that engravings prevent you from seeing water depth. I tried to build something (a bed for the capt of the guard, who was charged with murder because she "forgot" to trade out her spear for a pine training sword on promotion) and it said there was water there. Eh? Water? oh, 5/7 water! In the whole room! The captain got a free bath, but I managed to drain it off via a preexisting plumbing route, so no true !fun! happened.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:09:58 am by nightwhips »
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Pelander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: September 22, 2011, 03:06:09 pm »

I had a full squad of legendary melee dwarves get wiped by a dragon. I couldn't figure out why they had done so poorly blocking the dragonfire when they were all legendary shield users.

...then I realized I had previously unequiped all of their shields for some weapons-focused danger room training.

FMF

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: September 23, 2011, 06:15:19 am »

what's the right phrase to use when you discover a cavern by accidentally tapping into it's lake from the side?  With a settlement and projects under construction below the expanded staircase in question

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: September 23, 2011, 08:08:16 am »

what's the right phrase to use when you discover a cavern by accidentally tapping into it's lake from the side?  With a settlement and projects under construction below the expanded staircase in question
FaceEarth?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: September 23, 2011, 08:25:54 am »

Oh an even better screwup - i found the aquifer in my new fort - it wasn't a layer encompassing, but instead seems to be like a "bubble" in the mountain.  And Urist McMiner whacked it good.  It's current dribbling down the main staircase towards the magmaworks.  And my attempts to Piston the breach shut were met with the discovery that i pierced it on a lower level of many.  After i saved.  Oh dear...
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 729