Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126474 times)

MoonSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5625 on: January 27, 2012, 05:52:23 am »

:( my face when i realize that the starting group of dwarves is named 'the sacks of romance'... yeah awkward

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: January 27, 2012, 10:33:37 am »

...Since when can a BOOKKEEPER do that? I thought he'd be too busy labelling items when my woodworker (who was not insane, melancholy or any other mood) began to run around the fortress, interrupting everything. Well, that's new.
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

Henrik Undrgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: January 27, 2012, 12:18:06 pm »

...Since when can a BOOKKEEPER do that? I thought he'd be too busy labelling items when my woodworker (who was not insane, melancholy or any other mood) began to run around the fortress, interrupting everything. Well, that's new.

Check to see if he is also a captain of the guard because I did the same myself and paid with dwarven blood.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: January 28, 2012, 03:55:23 pm »

three words Siege, magma, failure

It was the capital too!
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: January 28, 2012, 06:30:52 pm »

I'm not sure if it's a facepalm or an anti-facepalm but... WARNING SPOILERS!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 07:01:15 pm by imperium3 »
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: January 28, 2012, 07:29:11 pm »

I'm not sure if it's a facepalm or an anti-facepalm but... WARNING SPOILERS!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah but when you do hit that hollow spot you're going to know it.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: January 28, 2012, 07:36:07 pm »

The dwarves delved too greedily and too deep...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DugTooDeep
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: January 29, 2012, 03:25:10 am »

Order of events:

1st: The idiot miners haul barrels instead of mining. Which is odd, because mining was the only labour enabled. Ah well...
2nd: Wait, the liason is here? Ok, go hold the meeting.
3rd: Why are you shifting barrels and bins again? Get back to mining if you're not going to meet the liason. We need that plug set up to breach the aquifer!
4th: Liason, please stop getting in the way of the plug.
5th: Please stop standing on the plug, liason, you've just shoved the miner onto it and he's about to....oh....
6th: Carpenter, please stop putting stuff in bins, and make a pair of coffins. Stonecrafter, you're a miner now. Other Guy, you're also a miner now.
7th: hey, the water froze. So that whole plug thing was un-needed. Right. let's get cracking!
8th: Why are you doing that? I set your designations so you WOULDN'T get yourselves encased in-......oh, too late.
9th: Carpenter, please stop drinking, putting things in beds, and jerking off to pictures of the traders beard, and go and make FOUR coffins. Since you still haven't made the first two.
10th: Ah what the hell *savescum*

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: January 29, 2012, 06:47:14 am »

Order of events:

1st: The idiot miners haul barrels instead of mining. Which is odd, because mining was the only labour enabled. Ah well...
3rd: Why are you shifting barrels and bins again? Get back to mining if you're not going to meet the liason. We need that plug set up to breach the aquifer!
5th: Please stop standing on the plug, liason, you've just shoved the miner onto it and he's about to....oh....
6th: Carpenter, please stop putting stuff in bins, and make a pair of coffins. Stonecrafter, you're a miner now. Other Guy, you're also a miner now.
7th: hey, the water froze. So that whole plug thing was un-needed. Right. let's get cracking!
8th: Why are you doing that? I set your designations so you WOULDN'T get yourselves encased in-......oh, too late.
9th: Carpenter, please stop drinking, putting things in beds, and jerking off to pictures of the traders beard, and go and make FOUR coffins. Since you still haven't made the first two.

Cut off the last bit and that's probably many a fortress' average day right there. Or maybe only 4 dead from an aquifer incident is just a slow day, I dunno.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: January 29, 2012, 08:53:20 am »

Order of events:

Cut off the last bit and that's probably many a fortress' average day right there. Or maybe only 4 dead from an aquifer incident is just a slow day, I dunno.

No, no, that sounds about right.

Except there's no mention of packs of badgers tearing ass through the campsite or bears stealing all of the booze.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: January 29, 2012, 09:12:19 am »

Bah of course! I knew I forgot something!

Make it giant badgers though. Or unicorns. Unicorns are evil kidney gouging bastards, and giant badgers paint walls with dwarven baby blood.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: January 29, 2012, 09:34:52 am »

I should break down my recent happenings.

1. The mason assigned to build the Great Adamantine Road of Limulunnos in order that we may become the mountainhome is being lazy. No bother, I disable his labour to let one of the other six masons take over. They ignore it.
2. I find out it's because a goblin had died on the spot the GAR was being built. DORVES; Y U NO THINK TO MOVE THE ITEMS ASIDE LIKE WITH WORKSHOPS?
3. Liaison arrives. "I have arrived to empower your land as a county!"
4. FUUUUUU. Lazy Mason #1 and #2 are drafted as a ramschackle militia for one year for their laziness. Two idling dwarves (a fish cleaner and a peasant) are selected to replace them.
5. A vile force of darkness has arrived! The Inky Busts and the Bronze Temple are stationed at the entrance. The civilian alert is sounded. The drawbridge is raised, sealing the dwarves of Vathezzan and Limulunnos inside. The Bronze Temples and the Inky Busts are sealed outside.
6. Inod Gankivish, one of our two medical dwarves is caught outside. Her baby is ripped from her grasp and slaughtered. Oddly, Inod remains Ecstatic.
7. A hunter is surprised by a lone goblin. The hunter unloads his entire quiver in a few seconds, killing the hapless goblin. The hunter flees.
8. Our other medical dwarf, the Chief Medical Dwarf who does the majority of the hospital work anyway is struck by a fey mood!
9. He goes to one of the three workshops near the Spoilerite which are at Z-57. The supplies he uses are at Z-1 and 2.
10. By the time he has finally gathered all of his items (bones, raw spoilerite, spoilerite bars, wood) the Inky Busts and the Bronze Temples have ruined the goblin's day. Three of the military are wounded. One was killed.
11. By the time the CMD has finished his work, the three wounded are beginning to get thirsty. Finally they get seen to.
12. Zefon Abodnish, our Baroness chucks a tantrum because we didn't have a new room ready the second she was elevated to Countess.
13. She destroys her own statue, calms down, attempts to beat herself and fails.

Silly Countess Zefon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: January 29, 2012, 12:53:08 pm »

Dwarf Fortress, where even Hell isn't digging too deep
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Hybrid

• Bay Watcher
  • Strife M.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: January 29, 2012, 01:10:11 pm »

Hmm, let`s see...

• "An ambush! Curse them!"
  • Raise the drawbridge!
  • Hah! The 2 goblins fell into the pit!
  • Go, my squads! Finish the last few goblins!
  • Snatchers too? Damn!
  • 3 minutes later and they still are chasing that pikeman!
  • Oh god! Every dwarf is running around outside like an idiot! Gah, I forgot to set them an area to stay in! *facepalm*
  • Eh, the pikeman still is being chased
  • WHAT THE F*CK!? MY DINING AREA IS FLOODING!
  • Wait, I forgot to close the floodgate *facepalm*
  • Wait, he`s STILL not dead? And you`re injured, too? Screw this *Abandons fort*

And thus "Knightrings" was abandoned, now inhabited by some forgotten beast who made it in my fort from the outside.

Should have tried to get it back in working shape, but I abandoned it. Oh well...

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: January 29, 2012, 02:25:00 pm »

whoa.. DF has been linked too on TvTropes...
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 729