Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130657 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7035 on: September 28, 2012, 08:40:11 pm »

3 years ago when I bought this comp I was able to play that size. It was ~34_08 that that changed to 10 by 10. Now days I'm limited to 8 by 8. I still have no lag except on season change. My comp is a then cheap ~655$ Asus 4 gig single core with a cheap ~50 dollar graphics card built in. I guess hardware could make a big difference. Most comps are Multi-core. Muti-core comps divide their power between their cores. This game is single threaded so only one of your comps cores can do anything with this game at a time.

Now to make you hate me.

As I type this post I've realized I have 18 tabs open between 3 window. 5 are open on Youtube vids with 2 others open to podcast sites, 2 are open on facebook games, & the rest are in this window, Forums/art sites/everything else. I love this comp & love having no lag with all that going on. & I play DF with all that going on. Normally it's only 12 tabs open.

xD That doesn't make me hate you. The only reason I don't have a stack of videos open right now is my internet would cry uncle, since apparently my ISP employs literal monkeys to be their code monkeys. My computer can handle that level of activity pretty easily. Really, it just makes me think that you like having a decent computer to work on (Unlike, say, my mother who insists on not updating from her steam-powered thing).

What I don't get, though, is how you could run a 16x16 embark. I suppose initially it wouldn't be too bad, but once things get going wouldn't the FPS edge into frames-per-minute territory? I'll admit I've never tried, but still... Late-game antics on a 6x6 scale seem to proceed at a comfortable 20 FPS or so for me. What is the framerate like?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7036 on: September 30, 2012, 03:29:50 am »

A small tip for people with lag issues. Delete the sound files. The game will run about 25% faster without them.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7037 on: September 30, 2012, 09:59:21 am »

A small tip for people with lag issues. Delete the sound files. The game will run about 25% faster without them.
Lol wut?

On topic: my best hunter just tried to hunt Giant Cave Spider, with predictable results. Additional four casultaties while trying to kill it.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no exit! Oh, Armok! The !!magma!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7038 on: September 30, 2012, 01:48:15 pm »

I just found out you don't need to link stone-fall and cage traps to a trigger mechanism. Super facepalm.
Since when has Dwarf Fortress been about doing things the easy way?

I do believe that it is in part about unnecessarily abusing the opportunities that are presented to you.

DiezIrae

• Bay Watcher
  • From the depth of thy soul I cometh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7039 on: September 30, 2012, 02:39:47 pm »

My mason getting possessed and making a chalk door with yak bone that isn't even more worth than a bone cage trap made by a child. Damn, face palmed hard.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7040 on: September 30, 2012, 04:19:03 pm »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7041 on: September 30, 2012, 05:12:25 pm »

My mason getting possessed and making a chalk door with yak bone that isn't even more worth than a bone cage trap made by a child. Damn, face palmed hard.
Palm blowgun, which used up one of my valuable steel bars (my map has no flux or coal).

Matthmatt1213

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Science!! Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7042 on: September 30, 2012, 08:01:48 pm »

Definitely when I found out that you could assign a manager instead of going to EVERY SINGLE INDIVIDUAL WORKSHOP and setting the jobs there. That took forever.

My second face-palm was when I found out you could use the status screen to slaughter animals instead of searching for them in your fortress and manually setting them to be slaughtered.
Hmm. Now i've got "mountain goat soap thread" and something like kidney fiber and i've seen roasts made out of leather.
selling elven princess booze to a human shopkeeper will fetch some wild stories.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7043 on: September 30, 2012, 08:44:29 pm »

Are artifact doors still indestructible? Because if they are, this is still an unexciting artifact, but a potential fortress-saver.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7044 on: September 30, 2012, 09:53:47 pm »

Are artifact doors still indestructible? Because if they are, this is still an unexciting artifact, but a potential fortress-saver.
While they can't be destroyed, they can still be dismantled - The door can be rebuilt, but it lets enemies through when taken down.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7045 on: October 01, 2012, 01:36:58 am »

Hmm. I'm probably out of date, then - my last artifact door was in 31.18. When I got trolls, they just stood around the door and glared at it. X)
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7046 on: October 01, 2012, 03:36:25 am »

Hmm. I'm probably out of date, then - my last artifact door was in 31.18. When I got trolls, they just stood around the door and glared at it. X)

Trolls take down doors by glaring at them!  How did we not see this before?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Kohmelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7047 on: October 01, 2012, 05:15:19 am »

Planned easy way to destroy sieges fast. -> Made path with bridges to cavern full of forgotten beasts. Siege was destroyed in seconds BUT now I have poisonous area at my gate and 3 forgotten beasts waiting/Hiding in the area killing anything they can catch...  Every way to contain so called Forgotten beasts problem is "stuck" because for some reason there are bodies all over my bridges...

Well... My champion has already killed about 3 forgotten beasts in this incident so i need to hope he can kill the rest too... Just need to figure a way to flush that poisonous dust/vomit/blood away from my front gate...

Champion seems to be badass enought... Been ambushed about three times when going out and she killed 20 gobbos on those ambushes... Getting a feeling they are only ambushing her for some reason...

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7048 on: October 02, 2012, 12:50:04 am »

My first caravan of this fort!

The merchants left all the shit on the yak bulls! No chance of trade!

[Murder yak bull]

I just realised the consequential Loyalty Cascade in motion.

DiezIrae

• Bay Watcher
  • From the depth of thy soul I cometh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7049 on: October 02, 2012, 01:39:21 am »

My first caravan of this fort!

The merchants left all the shit on the yak bulls! No chance of trade!

[Murder yak bull]

I just realised the consequential Loyalty Cascade in motion.

Dwarf Fortress: Of Yaks and Loyality... And Booze, never forget the Booze.
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 729