Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130945 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7530 on: March 21, 2013, 09:06:47 pm »

I decided it was time to streamline my smelters.  Because they're more than 100 z-levels below the rest of my fortress, I dug a shaft straight down and set up a minecart system to move stones and ores to the smelters more quickly.  Then, because I'm an idiot, I activated the hauling route without putting in any sort of retarding mechanism for the falling stone.  Two miners and a jeweler had their skulls smashed in before I got it fixed.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Dr_Nocturne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7531 on: March 21, 2013, 09:34:30 pm »

I've made a world where dwarves are extinct, humans are scattered, and elves just fine... May have added too many Beast, and Titans to that world...

But if the dwarves existed at one point, then it's still possible to embark... ACCEPT CHALLENGE?

Nope, it just leads to adventure mode, where I can choose an elf from one of two civilizations or a human outsider... With the amount of monsters roaming about I don't think I would live long... I'll just look at the legends to see what happened...
This won't end well, it never does...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7532 on: March 22, 2013, 12:28:32 am »

I've made a world where dwarves are extinct, humans are scattered, and elves just fine... May have added too many Beast, and Titans to that world...

But if the dwarves existed at one point, then it's still possible to embark... ACCEPT CHALLENGE?

Nope, it just leads to adventure mode, where I can choose an elf from one of two civilizations or a human outsider... With the amount of monsters roaming about I don't think I would live long... I'll just look at the legends to see what happened...

Again, if they existed at one point, it should be possible to play as them. Maybe they just didn't spawn at all.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7533 on: March 22, 2013, 11:07:55 am »

Pulled lever to open the doors to the aquifer powering the waterwheels.
See flooding in the mines
Trace flooding to the lack of a door on the access point to the spillway basin
Pull lever to close doors to aquifer
See that flooding is not ceasing
Find rock that got flushed out from one of the aquifer channels and is holding open one of the doors to the aquifer.

Sigh and prepare to install door to spillway basin against current

Xaioxaiofan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7534 on: March 22, 2013, 12:26:41 pm »

Weird, I can play as humans if there isn't dwarves in the world. 

Again, if they existed at one point, it should be possible to play as them. Maybe they just didn't spawn at all.
Odd, I can play as humans when there's no dwarves.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:17:08 am by Xaioxaiofan »

rellik242

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7535 on: March 22, 2013, 09:28:09 pm »

Just did the durpiest thing ever, and I thought you would all like to know. It's worth mentioning before I begin that I didn't actually facepalm, I just burst into laughter and my own stupidity.

So, I'm setting up a new embark profile, and I did my usual 2miners, 1 wood cutter, 1 carpenter, 1 mason, and 2 food people. Now, whenever I set up items, I always delete everything, and then pick what I want from scratch (To be the most efficient with my points) And this, is where I had my durp. I went to put in 1 axe, and 2 pick axes for my Miners and Woodcutter. However, for some reason, I did the exact opposite. And I did not notice this until I embarked, and noticed my second miner wasn't doing anything. At which point I came to realize I goofed, and started laughing at myself.

Hope someone gets a good laugh outta that. C'ya next time I mess up!
Morul Idenigath, Recruit cancels starting Fist Fight: Target inaccessible.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: March 22, 2013, 10:02:58 pm »

I've had brain farts like that. Embark dwarf likes steel or bronze? Great, they can make good weapons and armour early. Unfortunately, Weaponsmith and Armoursmith are not next to each other on the list, but Weaponsmith and Metalsmith are...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: March 23, 2013, 03:27:51 pm »

Well this is a new one for me...

I built a moat out of a river, built a bridge across it and everything.  I had a kobold ambush that was quelched rather quickly, except for one problem: two kobolds went into the moat which actually flows into my fortress via a multiple z-level waterfall.  Apparently, kobolds can swim and they jumped out of the moat and began attacking everything; somehow they didn't die after that fall.  They were put down, but I decided this should not happen again.  I designated a wall to be built on the outside of the moat.  Suddenly, a farmer was discovered drowned!  I zoomed to where he was, and there, at the bottom of the falls, lay no fewer than 4 drowned dwarves (along with 6 dead kobolds, I have no idea where they came from).  Apparently, instead of crossing the bridge like a civilized people, the dorfs were attempting to swim across the quickest, deepest part of the river, right before the falls.  Like savage, stupid beasts.  -_-  Memorial slabs are on their way.
Quote from: Xune
Urist McFred cancels these pants: too sexy.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7538 on: March 23, 2013, 07:49:08 pm »

Found a demon fort for the first time ever. Try to dig around it. 251 undead have now swarmed my fortress.

ETA: New fort. I strike the earth, start digging out farms--and underground trees start growing there before they can be built. WTF?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 08:35:54 pm by GuesssWho »
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: March 25, 2013, 02:47:40 am »

New fort. I strike the earth, start digging out farms--and underground trees start growing there before they can be built. WTF?

If you've ever breached a cavern and let the subterranean plant spores out, all sites that connect to the same cavern will be spored, whether or not you breach the cavern in the new site(s).
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: March 25, 2013, 01:14:04 pm »

Weird. And slightly annoying.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7541 on: March 26, 2013, 10:27:17 am »

I can't remember doing this last night but I can clearly see that I did.

I ordered a pumpstack dug out. my designating was well done, it's accessible via ramps all the way down. There is supposed to be magma. I specified that I wanted magma in worldgen. I dug down to the bottom. There is no fricking magma. How can I do obsidian casting with no magma?
Missed the edge of the magma sea by 1 tile.

In the process the cavern was breached. There is a blind cave ogre hassling my dwarves. I have no military. I have assigned my hunters and prospective hunters as a marksdwarf squad This is going to be FUN.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:09:25 am by MrSparky »

Shash The Stampede

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Typhoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7542 on: March 27, 2013, 11:40:21 am »

Last fort my front gate wouldn't close properly so a siege got in. Entire military got mangled. Panicked and figured I was doomed so I attempted to flood my fort with the ocean. Was expecting a deluge but it just kind of trickled in. Invaders ran down a level, straight into the animal pens and were spiritedly gnawed by various creatures. The siege now broken I figured I could drain the water into the caverns as a short term solution until I got things walled off. Reopened the caverns, forgetting why I'd closed them in the first place.

Cue FBs. A skinless moose with boiling spittle. And a gaunt coke fiend with poisonous vapors named Gradus. Horror/hilarity ensued.  Animals got killed by Gradus but they managed to take him out in the end. Skinless Bullwinkle rampaged for a bit then I abandoned since this was just the latest in a string of horrors that befell Charmedwires and immigration wasn't replacing the losses fast enough.

Explode_Toad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7543 on: March 27, 2013, 02:38:45 pm »

Only have recently (as in the last 2 weeks) realized that you can build up/down stairs instead of trying to tunnel down using upward ramps...

-)-
 n

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7544 on: March 27, 2013, 05:49:34 pm »

i had very bad timing giving my dwarves jobs, and i accidentally gave some dwarves the job to clean out one of my pits by unforbidding the items in them. I was butchering a few corpses at the time too, one of which was a forgotten beast corpse. I ended up wasting around 250 units of meat with one 209 stack due to it all going rotten cuz everyone was too busy to haul it >.<

edit: wait nvm...turns out i forgot to link the butcher shops to my main stockpile (i had to rebuild them to reposition them for a new staircase.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:56:38 pm by Catsup »
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 729