Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130797 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7950 on: August 30, 2013, 05:08:31 pm »

I am, for nefarious reasons, trying to dig a really really deep shaft. At this point, it's reached the top of the first cavern, and breaking through that hole has been time consuming and kind of dicey for an overseer who doesn't like to kill dwarves lightly.

I thought starting a small cave in would speed the process. So, I singled out a block to drop, and dug appropriately. I was sure, watching, that the miner wasn't standing on the block that was to drop, but...

When the cave in hit, the miner started fighting. He fell with the cave in, and might've been okay except his pick, falling freely, amputated his leg. He is now in a coffin.

So much for that... :(

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7951 on: August 30, 2013, 05:23:40 pm »

I am, for nefarious reasons, trying to dig a really really deep shaft. At this point, it's reached the top of the first cavern, and breaking through that hole has been time consuming and kind of dicey for an overseer who doesn't like to kill dwarves lightly.

I thought starting a small cave in would speed the process. So, I singled out a block to drop, and dug appropriately. I was sure, watching, that the miner wasn't standing on the block that was to drop, but...

When the cave in hit, the miner started fighting. He fell with the cave in, and might've been okay except his pick, falling freely, amputated his leg. He is now in a coffin.

So much for that... :(

Yeah, the cavein dust will suck the miner downwards or otherwise knock him off the ledge.

I had a miner who got it worse, due to some sort of deconstruction accident while channeling out the main stairwell to make it 'outdoors', two miners fell at the same time, down at least 15 z levels. One died on impact, the other landed on the other and while he survived, he had broken bones in both upper and lower legs and his left arm was equally shattered. Unfortunately, despite me having soap available, he died to a raging infection, almost every wound was infected.

I had hoped there if there was anything that could be done, short of merciful killing, or hoped he would pull through, but what was really needed are antibiotics, not soap.

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7952 on: August 31, 2013, 11:37:15 am »

2 seconds ago, when I realized that I could stack all the goblins I catched in only one cage, so that I don't need 86 mechanisms anymore, nor waiting for the whole to be linked to the drowning-time lever ...
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7953 on: August 31, 2013, 03:55:31 pm »

Over the last year I started getting a few dwarves complaining about clothes wearing away and lack of cover. Thinking I just fell a little behind on my production I quickly pumped out some new clothes with whatever cloth I had laying around and even started setting up a silk farm.

A season or so later I now have five dwarves about to lose it, a few more working their way down and a significantly lower number of ecstatic dwarves than I usually see milling about. Thinking it was odd, I investigate what is happening to the clothes I keep pumping out in hopes of avoiding a full spiral.

As I look around I notice the feeder stockpiles from my first quantum dump were full, and not being tossed into the minecart. Wondering what was up with that I check the Routes menu and see that the cart is 100% full. I then check the stop again, only to see that there isn't actually a trackstop anymore.

So yeah. In the minecart there were about 30 sets of clothing, every misc random stone I haven't had use for and a whole lot of random stuff. I'm pretty sure most of my fort rushed the stockpile the second it dumped, and have a feeling someone is going to step on a baby or something and push things over the edge...

I have absolutely not clue how the trackstop ever got dismantled, but yeah.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7954 on: August 31, 2013, 04:12:06 pm »

I thought I had aborted the mood, but it came out with an iron door. Kind of makes sense since obsidian has a good deal of iron in it.
Iron is also the first item in the metals file, and the metals file is the first of the inorganic files.

I keep meaning to move some other metal to the first position in the file so I can see if that's why iron is chosen in the absence of the expected base material, but I keep forgetting. Forbidding the base material works for things other than metal -- I've had iron clothing.

I think one of the code-divers commented on this, and the baseline is that iron is indeed chosen because it's the first inorganic material.

I've also had a mood stall and fail, but I'm not sure if that was caused by forbidding everything or forbidding bone.

That's what happens when all mood-claimed items are forbidden after work has started, afaik. The dwarf has nothing to work on and can't return to 'collect items' mode, so keeps on working on nothing until the timer runs out and they go insane. Easiest to do with early-game or gemcutting moods, which often work with a single raw material item. I haven't experimented much with it, but it seems that an iron artefact will be successfully created as long as _some_ construction materials remain unforbidden.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7955 on: September 01, 2013, 06:03:18 am »

Killed an FB with one shot, even though the shot missed.

I thought I had aborted the mood, but it came out with an iron door. Kind of makes sense since obsidian has a good deal of iron in it.
Iron is also the first item in the metals file, and the metals file is the first of the inorganic files.

I keep meaning to move some other metal to the first position in the file so I can see if that's why iron is chosen in the absence of the expected base material, but I keep forgetting. Forbidding the base material works for things other than metal -- I've had iron clothing.

I think one of the code-divers commented on this, and the baseline is that iron is indeed chosen because it's the first inorganic material.

I've also had a mood stall and fail, but I'm not sure if that was caused by forbidding everything or forbidding bone.

That's what happens when all mood-claimed items are forbidden after work has started, afaik. The dwarf has nothing to work on and can't return to 'collect items' mode, so keeps on working on nothing until the timer runs out and they go insane. Easiest to do with early-game or gemcutting moods, which often work with a single raw material item. I haven't experimented much with it, but it seems that an iron artefact will be successfully created as long as _some_ construction materials remain unforbidden.

That's what I've observed, too.

MrCactus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7956 on: September 01, 2013, 11:14:25 am »

A mechanic built the first pump in a magma pump stack on top of himself, knocking him into the magma and killing him

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7957 on: September 01, 2013, 09:16:15 pm »

Well, my first fort died 'cause I had no military. The second fort died 'cause I had no military. Before starting the third fort, I was like, "Hmm. In my other forts, I've only ever needed a military once, and it seems like a lot of work. Should I even bother?" Then I realized why I had only needed a military once.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7958 on: September 02, 2013, 01:26:51 pm »

1. If the base material is forbidden while the dwarf is still collecting materials, the result will be an iron artifact (always named after its creator, in my experience)
2. If any other material is forbidden during collection phase, it will be replaced with no other change to the resulting artifact
3. If any materials are forbidden after construction of the artifact has begun, the mood fails instantly
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7959 on: September 02, 2013, 03:17:27 pm »

a legendary miner and a spider to cage a fire breathing serpent...

i'm not sure if it's worth it.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7960 on: September 02, 2013, 05:01:07 pm »

1. If the base material is forbidden while the dwarf is still collecting materials, the result will be an iron artifact (always named after its creator, in my experience)

3. If any materials are forbidden after construction of the artifact has begun, the mood fails instantly
Not in my experience -- if you forbid a base material while the dwarf is still gathering stuff, they'll go and grab something else for the base. Assuming a multi-item mood, if you forbid the base material after construction starts then it'll be replaced with iron. If you instead forbid any other material, it'll simply be left out of the resulting artifact. It's a good way to save on yarn and other items you might not be able to replace in time for the next mood, and will cut down on artifact value if you care about such things.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

skibble

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: September 02, 2013, 09:17:55 pm »

just had a Migrant wave.

Went from 20 dwarfs to 79.
30 of the arrivals were children.

GAH

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7962 on: September 03, 2013, 01:36:59 am »

If you assign the mooded dwarf to a burrow that doesn't contain the claimed workshop while he's gathering materials, he will keep collecting materials for the artifact until he runs out or is removed from the burrow.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7963 on: September 03, 2013, 02:55:51 am »

If by "mood fails instantly" you mean "dwarf goes insane on the spot", i don't know which version you're playing, because this absolutely doesn't happen when you forbid items or even the workshop after construction has begun. The dwarf just continues 'works furiously' or whatever, presumably until the normal 'wait for resolution' time is up; i didn't have the patience to wait that long at 20 fps.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7964 on: September 03, 2013, 09:16:00 am »

Can you guys take the dwarf mood discussion to another thread? It's kinda off topic.
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 729