Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130899 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2009, 09:48:12 pm »

I had the wonderful idea to put various dangerous animals and captured enemies in cells along my main entry.  not with cages or restraints, but by pitting them into cells with clear glass windows looking into the hall.  Dwarfs wouldn't go in or out and caravans just stopped mid hall and sat...  for years... Eventually I dug a new entrance hall and walled up the old...  With a total of 7 trade caravans stuck in it.

now I must do this. Then apply magma.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2009, 06:34:02 pm »

I had an exterior wall set up so I could walk around the outside of my fort. During an orc siege, I noticed the caveat. I had several ways up and onto these walls, and my dwarves were using the walls to move around for no real reason.  This and an orc elite archer = painful.

Lost 4 dwarves.
Lost 6 in total in the siege.
:facepalm:

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2009, 05:08:42 am »

Designate it as a restricted traffic area.
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2009, 12:07:08 pm »

Cat-nades.

Mix that with nuclear catsplosion technology and we could possibly have nukes in DF. provided, of course, cats don't explode while in cages.

Is there a chance this could be implemented in the Dwarfhattan Project?
Amazing potenial.
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2009, 12:21:13 pm »

With orcs mod applied, I built a very nice maze using trenches which would allow my archers to pick them off and allow me plenty of time to get the orcs positioned somewhere that the archers could safely see them.  I preplanned bridges to allow quick cleanup.  Orcs come -> pull lever and bridges disapear.  Orcs enter maze, get close enough for archers, pull lever to shut off the main entrance... wait, which lever did I just have pulled - yup, same lever twice, orcs waltz in and wipe out the fort.
doh.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2009, 03:42:28 pm »

Cat-nades.

Mix that with nuclear catsplosion technology and we could possibly have nukes in DF. provided, of course, cats don't explode while in cages.

Amazing potenial.
You can even setup a trigger to see if it could work properly via switch. Of course, I think the best results and basis for research will come if you suspend the bomb. That way, we can see the full anatomy of the explosion, and see how we can fully weaponize it.

Defensive grid anyone?

Hell, just have them sitting there as a lure with pressure switches right next to them (or on an oft-used path or choke-point/bridge). 5 cats/kittens apiece ought to do the job well enough. Reloading the traps would be a pain though, but there could be guaranteed defense. Nothing more entertaining to watch than a few feline-fuel covered orcs/gobs/elves screaming in harmony with the meowling as they're getting incinerated in your territory. ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 03:47:56 pm by Itnetlolor »

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2009, 08:11:14 pm »

A peasant was hauling a cage with maybe 70 or so cats and kittens with a odd other animal in it, when he decided to throw a tantrum and break the closest thing - which happend to be the cage instatly releasing all the cats and kittens that adopted passing dwarves  >:(
Cat-nades.

I'd hate to spoil your fun but cats do burn an die while in the cages
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2009, 08:14:48 pm »

I'd hate to spoil your fun but cats do burn an die while in the cages

Nope.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2009, 10:55:06 pm »

I didn't set it as a restricted area, I removed all but 2 ramps onto the walls so going up them would be the slowest way to go past.

Twas a fun siege, barring the orc elite archer. Got him by throwing ~12 semi-experienced marksman to a vantage point, only lost 2 and he was the only ranged unit there.  The semi-experienced guys who survived got some decent experience on the myriad of orc crushers.:D

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2009, 02:19:32 am »

FireMan = FireBreath

Rather docile creature, patheticly wounded by caravan guards.

runs from everything, everythuign runs from that, okay.

Til my woodcutter decides to walk around a try to cut it down, and ends up aaccedently removing an arm from it.

Fwoosh fwoosh fwoosh.  Woodcuter gets a broken upper body.. wears a fire resistant silk dresss though, so he is safe.keeps running down the hill to escape, and ack at the fireman to get to one of the beds for a few minutes as the axedwarf charges in.  But while being flamed over and over again, the woodcutter heals the broken torso, and cancils rest to get a drink.

Wewt mass wrestlin training!

Then the caravan guard slices it's head off with a bolt.

PotatoMuncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2009, 11:48:25 am »

I have had a total of 6 weapon smiths. 5 of them have dies from failed artifacts, ALL of the 5 needed shells. I don't have any turtles on the map, and am still trying to clear my cave river. I have one living weapon smith.
I think we found the only thing stupider than a dwarf.
Ladies and Gentlemen; Wagons can run shit over.

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2009, 05:58:54 pm »

one butcher and one tanner == butchered animals, hides, and tasty meat

two tanners == no butchered animals, no tanned hides, the hunter dropping corpses in the meeting hall and sauntering off while they rot, and a moody fisherdwarf going berserk because he didn't have any leather.  i was busy supervising some digging and thought i had satisfied his needs. 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2009, 03:31:50 am »

Ocean = 1 ... Floating Fortress = 0

I did some slight reorganizing with caveins off...

I re-enabled it and my fort plunged many z levels down... my dwarfs didn't have time to drown.

Those Great White Sharks must've been full afterwards... /cheer
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2009, 02:30:15 pm »

My weaponsmith hits a mood, and demands leather.
However, it's during an orc siege, and I'm turtled up and have no military, and no unclaimed pets.

I quickly crack into my underground pool with my two novice archers and a bunch of recruits. I lose about 8 of my guys to cave monsters, and I don't even get any usable leather out of it. However, one of the guys that died freed up a donkey that I butcher and tan.

The weaponsmith starts the construction... and turns out a fucking hatch cover. All that smelting had made him a metalsmith, but I didn't notice because of his custom profession. What am I going to do with a legendary blacksmith? Make masterful platinum buckets?

::facepalm::

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2009, 09:23:52 pm »

Happens to the best of us.  I just hate having 4 legendary bonecarvers.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 729